72 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2010 8:08 AM by djdicetn RSS

MVR Update and Install Date

chidlebaugh

Northern VA, MRV upgrade ordered.  Cost $0 (went through retentions).  Install Date May 29th.  The wait is longer than i would have liked, but the price is right :-)

What about everyone else?

• Re: MVR Update and Install Date
    tulanejosh

i got a rep that clearly didn't know what was up so i had to hang up. plan to try again shortly, hoping to get someone that read a memo or something.

addicted2hd

The good news:

Just got an installation appointment set up for tomorrow (5/14). 

The bad news:

They porked me for an extra $50 since I've only had service since January 2010.  That was unexpected.  Total was $209 with tax for equipment upgrade package, installation and the special "new customer bent over a barrel charge".

It also came with an additional 24 month commitment.

Looking forward to having the service though.

tulanejosh

ok so i called back.  got a rep that was trained.  my upgrade is for tomorrow as well (5/14). Cost was $99 + $49 + tax. I've been a customer for a while (2004ish), so I avoided the $50 activation.  I did have to sign up for another 2 years as well, but that wasn't a problem as i don't intend to leave anyway.

cebphl

i spoke to a rep today who claimed that the website is wrong with regards to the national launch and multi-room dvr is only available in 3 states (i'm in TX). 

dcd

Call back, it's the CSR who is mistaken.  I don't know how many CSR's Directv has, but they seem to have a problem getting them all on the same page at the same time.

tulanejosh

agree.  i had to call twice to get someone who had correct information. first lady told me summer.  second lady said 4 pilot states, 3rd time was a charm. 

addicted2hd

the first one I spoke to said the system said to call back in 3 or 4 days, he was totally clueless.  I called back immediately after hanging up.  All I said to the automated/voice menu was "upgrade" when I called back.  Not sure if that helps get you to the correct department or not.

tulanejosh

i said whole home dvr and that got me to the right group as well.

cebphl

i called back and spoke to someone who actually had a clue.  got set up for installation this weekend.

dan1son

Not sure if I just talked to the right guy, but I said "whole home DVR" to the computer, told the guy I knew the service rolled out today and I had been using the beta.  He said since I've had the beta I could just use the setup I already had.  I told him the wireless setup I've been using is hit or miss and I'd be interested in the DECA system. 

He told me they'd charge $49 to have someone come out so I asked if that included the hardware.  He said, "I'll take care of the hardware, $49 is all you need to pay."  I told him that sounded great... took my CC number and someone is coming out tomorrow evening.  So here we go... $3 a month and $50 install is perfect.  :)

tulanejosh

yeah that's not bad.  but my understanding is that they are turning off the existing beta service on 5/20 - so you really lucked out.  and i agree hit and miss with at least my set up.  worked perfectly one way, but needed to reset network services usually at least twice a night the other direction. 

djdicetn

So, what is this "$50 Activation" charge that user tulanejosh mentioned(implied as "additional" to the afore-rumored $99 + $49 cost for MRV). I don't like the sound of that:0(

I did notice that user dan1son was told by a CSR that he "could" use his current network setup since he had been participating in the Beta(which is what a LOT of us wanted to hear).

But I'm still a little confused as to whether if I call today, say I want to use my current network setup will it cost me a $50 "Activation Fee" and the $3/month. That was "unexpected"!!!!!:0(

zwierns

It appears the $50 extra activaion fee is for us users who have had service for under two years. Since we are locked under a contract anyway.

djdicetn

zwierns,

Well that WOULD make me feel better(since I've been with D* since 2004), but probably didn't make YOU feel better....ouch:0(

I'm getting some feedback from a TECHKNOWGUIDE in another thread and maybe he will confirm what you were told.

addicted2hd

Seems like it should be either the $50 activation fee or new 2-year contract, not both.  Oh well.

jstloco

Just talked to a CSR and got pretty much the same info as everyone else (took 10 minutes on hold for CSR ro look it up and check my system).  Was giving the cost of $99, $49 and would have to swap out two of my boxes (unless I left those out of the loop) and install new dish.

Should of asked, does that $152 cover all the costs just mentioned (new dish, swap 2 boxes and install DECA on 4 boxes).

litzdog911

jstloco:

Yes, that $152 covers everything.  

madmack3

I just spoke with a CSR whom confirmed my information then connected me to equipment tech that informed me of the cost of the installation $49.00, equipment $99.00 which included taxes of $11.11 for a total of $159.11 and that there will be a monthly cost of $3.00. He also stated that my Hughes DVR will be replace as part of this service, he mentioned that he is unsure what type of receiver that I would get in it's place either another HDDVR or a HD receiver. Once I agree to these cost he placed my order, my installment date is Mondy May 17th between 8-12. He did his best to explain how the wireless adapters would work and they needed to be placed next to the receivers. Yet he added that the installor would be the best person to question during and after the installment of the equipment. He was very nice and thanked me for getting the Whole-Home DVR services.

tulanejosh

my $49 was not an activation fee. it was an installation fee because i need some extra stuff done to make my setup complient. Apparently i need a new dish and a swm, so they charge a fee for that. some users are reporting that they are being charged an actual $50 activation fee since they are newer customers (i have been with directv since 2004), but i wasn't charged that. 

tulanejosh

Quote:

{
    I just spoke with a CSR whom confirmed my information then connected me to equipment tech that informed me of the cost of the installation $49.00, equipment $99.00 which included taxes of $11.11 for a total of $159.11 and that there will be a monthly cost of $3.00. He also stated that my Hughes DVR will be replace as part of this service, he mentioned that he is unsure what type of receiver that I would get in it's place either another HDDVR or a HD receiver. Once I agree to these cost he placed my order, my installment date is Mondy May 17th between 8-12. He did his best to explain how the wireless adapters would work and they needed to be placed next to the receivers. Yet he added that the installor would be the best person to question during and after the installment of the equipment. He was very nice and thanked me for getting the Whole-Home DVR services.]

Originally Posted by
    madmack3

Techknowguides - am i missing something?  this system is DECA based, so there should be no need for wireless adaptes since the signal goes directly over the existing coax lines.  what is madmack3 referring to?

madmack3

After reading about the activation fee and two year commitment, I decided to call back and this time the CSR was not aware of this service. But after reviewing my information, she decided to past me onto the equipment tech unit. The person I spoke was also confused but he got help from other techs. Then he explained me that there is a two year commitment for replacing the Hughes DVR and there is no activation fee and my order does have any refers of such fee.

testerx

Any free swap out for compatibility should be for the same type as what ever is being replaced... SD for SD, HD for HD, regular receiver for regular receiver and DVR for DVR. Upgrades for MRV compatibility may result in an additional charge... e.g., upgrading a receiver from SD to HD or from non-DVR to DVR.

djdicetn

tulanejosh,

As TECHKNOWGUIDE dcd eluded to earlier and I quote "we should all slow down a little". It seems that there is a lot of knee jerk "terminology" mis-interpretation(like mine with your mention of the $50 Activation fee). I'm certain that the CSR that user madmack3 spoke with inadvertantly "slipped" using the "wireless adapter" term and was actually referring to the DECA "gizmos" that connect the boxes over the coax run. The DECA "modules" indeed have to be placed next to the receivers. This Day 1 of GoLive reminds me of every new major software implementation that I have experienced over the last 30 years being a mainframe business applications developer.

Now......let's just all take a deep breath..........feel better?:0)

lgbell2

do you have a number for retentions?

never mind.I just called the 800 number and asked for retentions and I got the retention department.

I may be getting 2 decas free with no commitment and no SWM required.

djdicetn

lgbell2,

My experience is that Customer Retention is an "escalation" that you must request after speaking with a DirecTV Customer Service rep. So it's the regular 1-800# for DirecTV.

bennasar

The CSR that took my call insisted that I needed the DECA, I explained I had it running in BETA with my own network, that I didn`t need the DECA. I finally hung up. Will try later with another CSR.

Any tips on convincing them that DECA is not necessary if I have my ethernet network? I know I am responsible for my network and is not supported by DirecTV.

Thanks

Miguel

bennasar

The CSR that took my call insisted that I needed the DECA, I explained I had it running in BETA with my own network, that I didn`t need the DECA. I finally hung up. Will try later with another CSR.

Any tips on convincing them that DECA is not necessary if I have my ethernet network? I know I am responsible for my network and is not supported by DirecTV.

Thanks

Miguel

djdicetn

About the only suggestion is (1)decline the DECA installation....(2)hang up.....(3)call back......rinse and repeat until you get a CSR that will say OK.

testerx

You might also want to wait a few days for the dust to settle before you try again.

puffnstuff

Quote:

Originally Posted by
    sungam

puffnstuff

Won't help me since I am going out of town the wife is going to be super mad, but hey it's Directv they have never given me anything but wrong info and the run around. Also they said that you guys are seriously misinformed when they read this thread and repeated no upgrade no MRV. Once again a fail by Directv to properly train the staff.

djdicetn

puffnstuff,

You can believe what you wish. But I, for one, do not think that the people at DirecTV that make decisions are going to disseminate information to the TECHKNOWGUIDES on these forums and then turn around and make the TECHKNOWGUIDES look stupid. I tend to believe these forums before I believe a dozen CSR's all saying they know better:0)

madmack3

tulanejosh

That what the equipment tech told me, he did not mentioned anything about a decas.

djdicetn

Thanks I am quite sure it was a slip. Just reading the forum shows that there communications problems regarding this new services.

I agree taking a deep breath would be good for all.
    cadmandigital4u

15 year DTV customer here. I just got a deal for the 
    Whole-Home DVR service of $0 upgrade plus an additional HD DVR at no cost. The install date is on 5/15/2010. That will make 4 HD-DVR's on my network. I had to sign up for 24 months more service as part of the deal. Big woop, where am I going to go?

cadmandigital4u

I discovered that there is a difference between the Mulit-room DVR service over a home network and the Whole-Home DVR service over DECA.

The video and audio sent over the home network is down sampled to less than 1920 x 1080 and from Dolby digital 5.1 to Dolby 2.0. when viewed remotely. HD over DECA is full resolution and 5.1 Dolby Digital when viewed remotely or otherwise.

I verified this was happening with remote views over my network (CAT6 gigabit Ethernet) with my home theaters and the CSR verified it as well.

That in itself was enough to justify going to the Whole-Home DVR service over DECA even though I had the Mulit-room DVR service over my home network working flawlessly.

testerx

There is no difference between the video and audio delivered over an Ethernet connection and that delivered by DECA, other than the obvious problems with hesitation and other issues associated with inadequate DIY network performance.

madmack3

sungam,

You were correct with the swap information, I received an email last night regarding the DVR swap and the completed detail of my transaction.

I am hoping this new setup will not cause any problems with my NAS?

I will ask the installor on Monday, yes I will post the response.

dcd

cadmandigital4u,  You posted this same information in another thread.  I don't know where you got your information but it is 100% incorrect.  MRV passes full resolution video and audio regardless if it's DECA or Cat5 cable.  If you have a working Cat5 network you should be getting full resolution via MRV.

cadmandigital4u

edit

joed32

There is only a 2 year commitment for swapping out eqipment not for SWM/DECA. I signed up yesterday to use my own network but one of my DVRs on the other end of the house is not connected. They said they would replace it with one of the "new" DVRs and hook up SWM and DECA to everything including the internet connection for $135. That's after I asked them to waive shipping. By the way the one they are repacing is an HR20-100. They are SWM compatible but their list is showing that they are not. That was the clincher for me, my wired connection was working fine.

joed32

There is only a 2 year commitment for swapping out eqipment not for SWM/DECA. I signed up yesterday to use my own network but one of my DVRs on the other end of the house is not connected. They said they would replace it with one of the "new" DVRs and hook up SWM and DECA to everything including the internet connection for $135. That's after I asked them to waive shipping. By the way the one they are repacing is an HR20-100. They are SWM compatible but their list is showing that they are not. That was the clincher for me, my wired connection was working fine.

joed32

joed32

There is only a 2 year commitment for swapping out equipment not for SWM/DECA. I signed up yesterday to use my own network but one of my DVRs on the other end of the house is not connected. They said they would replace it with one of the "new" DVRs and hook up SWM and DECA to everything including the internet connection for $135. That's after I asked them to waive shipping. By the way the one they are repacing is an HR20-100. They are SWM compatible but their list is showing that they are not. That was the clincher for me, my wired connection was working fine.

ryanmbsc

Quote:

Originally Posted by
    joed32

joed32

There is only a 2 year commitment for swapping out equipment not for SWM/DECA. I signed up yesterday to use my own network but one of my DVRs on the other end of the house is not connected. They said they would replace it with one of the "new" DVRs and hook up SWM and DECA to everything including the internet connection for $135. That's after I asked them to waive shipping. By the way the one they are repacing is an HR20-100. They are SWM compatible but their list is showing that they are not. That was the clincher for me, my wired connection was working fine.

ryanmbsc

I had to agree to a new 2 year commitment and I don't think any of  my equipment is being replaced.  I have a HR23 and 2 H23s that they said were compatible with the DECA system.  Although a new HR24 would be nice Cool

cadmandigital4u

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcd 

cadmandigital4u

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcd 

cadmandigital4u

Anyone else having problems posting?

addicted2hd

I had trouble yesterday when trying to use the "Quote" link to reply to a message.  Seems to be fine posting otherwise.

cadmandigital4u

OK, I may be wrong about down rez-ing over CAT5, but how do you explain this?

Here is an example of why I question if down rez-ing over CAT5 is happening: I have "The Big Bang Theory" recorded on my HD DVR in the master bedroom as well as on the HD DVR in the media room. When the program is played locally on the HDTV in the master bedroom, it is shown in Dolby Digital 5.1 and 1080I HD. The same goes for when the program is played in the media room locally, it is shown in Dolby Digital 5.1 and 1080I HD. But when the program is played over my home network over CAT6 gigabit ethernet, there is a very noticable loss in resolution and the sound is Dolby Digital 2.0.

I have a Denon AVR-5308 CI receiver and a 73" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV. My HD DVR's are all HR23's. Maybe screen size plays in to whether or not the loss in picture quality is noticable? On a 42" or 50" HDTV it might not be as noticeable.

Also, another thing I noticed when I was looking at the devices listed on my home network is that for each HD DVR that is set up for multi-room, two devices are listed: "directv2pc, and DVR Renderer. If the data stream is passing over the network unchanged, why would you need a "DVR Renderer"? Wouldn't that mean the signal is being altered or processed by the renderer?

I'm still running the beta version of the software. Could this be why? Are there any advantages over one system versus the other assuming there is no down-conversion? By the way, the tech that told me this seemed very knowlegeable compared to the two previous clueless shmucks I spoke to before this, and he worked in customer retention.

I haven't had time to look in to this further, but I plan to tonight when I get off of work.

joed32

Quote:

Originally Posted by
    ryanmbsc

joed32

I apologize for the multiple posts. I thought it wasn't being posted but it was showing on the next page Pretty dumb of me but it won't happen again.

dcd

cadmandigital4u,  This thread or forum is not the proper place to get into all the ins and outs, but you're misunderstanding the system.  If you'll post a quickie note in the Directv2PC forum, I'll explain how it works.  This forum is extremely busy and it's unfair to tie up a portion going into basics.  You'll likely enjoy getting to know your DVR's better.

addicted2hd

Whole Home DVR is installed on two HR21-700s and one H23.  Only hiccup was opting out of the beta removed all the Multi-room options (sharing, etc.) aside from Beta and Name.  Opting back in and everything was working.  Guess the next software release will move it out of "beta"?

djdicetn

addicted2hd,

When you say "installed" are you meaning you have had the DECA network installed. If not, from what I've read thus far, you do NOT have Whole-Home DVR service just still MRV Beta Opt In. I believe the CSR had to "enable MRV" and then "Activate Whole-Home DVR" if you are using your current "home network" and the "Beta" should NOT still show up. Something has not been completed because no, a software release is not required to remove you from being opted in to the Beta. What does your DirecTV online account show????

cadmandigital4u

Thanks anyway TechKnowGuide, but I'll pass. I have had HD programing from DTV since it started, so I'm not new to this. I understand how my system works and have the multi-room setup with 3 HD DVR's working with out any glitches other than the down-sampling issue I mentioned above.

Tomorrow the installer will be seting up another HD DVR for a total of 4 in the system over DECA at $0 charge to me including the new DVR thanks to my 15 years as a loyal DTV customer.

Why would I want to post on the directv2pc thread? That has nothing to do with my post.

Sorry to "inconvience" anyone with my neophyte questions or comments on this blazingly busy thread. Wow 56 whole posts! I think I just stick with the AVS forum Cya'.

addicted2hd

djdicetn,

DECA adapters on 3 boxes, one box is connected to the home network providing internet access to all boxes over the DECA network.

Each box was reset and downloaded the most recent software to it after opting out of the MRV beta.  Whole Home DVR is active on my account for $3/month, I verified that.  Still there were no menu options to activate anything other than the MRV beta in order to initiate sharing between boxes.

dcd
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted2hd 

DECA adapters on 3 boxes, one box is connected to the home network providing internet access to all boxes over the DECA network.

I hope that there is a fourth adapter connected to the coax somewhere that in turn has a Cat5 cable attached to your router.  Some installers are simply connecting a Cat5 cable to the lower Ethernet port of one of the DVR's.  That is not the correct setup and if this is what you have you need to contact Directv and have the installer return and install the fourth adapter (with a separate power supply).

addicted2hd

What is the fourth adapter going to accomplish?  All boxes have internet access (tested by the installer) from the one box that is connected to the home network.  The installer did leave behind the fourth adapter, it's sitting, unconnected, next to my router.

I am curious wether others who have had Whole Home DVR installed had to opt-in to the beta to get the MRV options or not.  If not, what model box and version of the software do you have?

djdicetn

addicted2hd,

TECHKNOWGUIDE dcd knows what he is talking about!!! The connection to your router needs to come from the "DECA cloud/coax network" NOT your DVR!!!! without the DECA adapter and the appropriate connection to the DECA network you are going to exhibit "unexpected features"!!!!

P.S.

Most likely your boxes are "confused" as to whether to use the DECA network or the "DVR-to-router home network". That may explain the BETA showing up(along with other potential "issues").

addicted2hd

I didn't say dcd didn't know what he was talking about or that he was wrong.  I simply didn't understand why someone would say something is wrong when it seems to be working, asking questions is how we learn.

I have cable internet so wherever my router is, the coax from the wall is being used by the cable modem.  I do have a 4-port powerline adapter I can plug in and connect the 4th DECA adapter to.  Would this be acceptable or do I need to get a second coax line run to the room with the router?

I have DirecTV wired to three rooms in the house, each has a box.  Can I split before the box in one of these rooms to get the 4th DECA adapter connected?

I noticed the splitter in the basement has DirecTV and SWiM logos on it.  Do I need a special splitter to be compatible with SWiM or is it ok as long as the frequency range matches?

I'd rather not call the installer back because he couldn't wait to get out of here as it was.  I have no problem fixing what needs to be fixed even if it costs me the price of a splitter.

testerx

You can split any receiver line to add another DECA module. As long as the splitter is rated for the correct frequency range it should work, but 2MHz to 2500MHz splitters are probably not common. If you put the splitter in the line that has the SWiM Power Inserter just make sure it is either on the receiver side of the PI or that you connect the PI to a power passing port on the splitter. If you block the power from the PI to the dish, nothing will work. The diagram here shows a secondary splitter being used for the DECA module connected to the home network.

http://www.highdefforum.com/directv-forum/101990-deca-directv-ethernet-coaxial-adapter.html

djdicetn

addicted2hd,

You may very well get some suggestions(like user sungam's) that may work.....but if "I were you" and I had paid DirecTV $149 plus tax for the DECA/SWiM installation, I would be on the phone with DirecTV telling them to send a technician ASAP to fix my problem and make sure all of my network features(On Demand, Media Share, DirecTV2PC, Whole-Home DVR) that I wanted to use were working properly before he left.

addicted2hd

I agree, if it's wrong it's wrong.  How can I say Whole Home DVR does not work if it is in fact working?  Perhaps it's installed incorrectly but it's not working.  Now, what I suspect will happen is that on the 20th when the beta period ends that my Whole Home DVR will no longer work at all.  Then I can call and say "WTH".

Until then all I can say is that some well informed people online are telling me the installation is incorrect (no sarcasm whatsoever intended here).

Or am I not giving DirecTV technical support enough credit?

addicted2hd

Sorry, meant to say:

Perhaps it's installed incorrectly but it's working.

djdicetn

addicted2hd,

I am very sorry, but with my own issues not being successful yesterday getting "officially activated' and the long strung out postings to this thread i have "lost sight" of exactly what your particular issue is. Help me out by addressing the bullets below:

1)You have DECA installed(yes/no)?

2)You are able to view the contents on your HD DVR(s) on all of the other HD DVR's or HD Receiver's in your home(yes/no)?

3)You previously used On Demand service and it is still working(yes/no)?

4)You previously used Media Share service and it is still working(yes/no)?

5)You previously used DirecTV2PC service and it is still working(yes/no)?

6)You previously did not have ANY DirecTV boxes networked, but all of the network services in 2-5 are working(yes/no)?

dcd

I suppose if anyone is happy with their installation even though it's not up to specs that's okay with me.  However, if they are curious as to why theirs is not installed according to guidelines, a good test of the DECA system and the network connection is to put something to download from On Demand to each of the DVR's then run a MRV program while the download is ongoing.  You could throw a concurrent Directv2PC playback in there as well, the system should handle all of them at the same time.

addicted2hd
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djdicetn 

addicted2hd,

I am very sorry, but with my own issues not being successful yesterday getting "officially activated' and the long strung out postings to this thread i have "lost sight" of exactly what your particular issue is. Help me out by addressing the bullets below:

1)You have DECA installed(yes/no)? Yes, albeit not to spec.

2)You are able to view the contents on your HD DVR(s) on all of the other HD DVR's or HD Receiver's in your home(yes/no)? Yes.

3)You previously used On Demand service and it is still working(yes/no)? Previously working on one DVR and still working also working now on DVR that was not previously connected to the internet.

4)You previously used Media Share service and it is still working(yes/no)? Have never tried this feature.

5)You previously used DirecTV2PC service and it is still working(yes/no)? No computers pass the DirecTV2PC test application.

6)You previously did not have ANY DirecTV boxes networked, but all of the network services in 2-5 are working(yes/no)? No, see above.

djdicetn

Well, you know the old saying.....if it ain't broke don't fix it.....if interested in Media Share(streaming Photos, Music & Videos from your networked PC to your HD DVR's & HD Receivers) you should read up on activating it in the Media Share forum and try to see if it will work with your current setup. Sounds to me like your system is doing everything you currently need(I'm thinking you originally posted that you still see "BETA" in your MRV menus). If so, you probably won't know until 5/21 whether you really have a technical problem or not:0(

addicted2hd

djdicetn,

Agreed.  I did post originally that on the 14th (time of the install) the only way to see the MRV options was to opt-in to the beta.  Yesterday when I was testing everything again I noticed the beta menu item was now gone.  Maybe something to do with my account or a date in the software?  Either way everything seems normal.  I did order a two-way splitter from solid signal and will finish the installation off the specified way once it arrives. 

Thanks for the help and advice.

djdicetn

addicted2hd,

I have read posts where users stated that it "takes a little while", for some unknown reason, for the Beta to disappear from the menu. Nothing "unusual' for yours to do that.