1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 99 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2010 7:58 PM by joshua1988 Go to original post RSS
  • 90. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    nveegreen

Forgot to add a few notes:

I didn't even need to refresh the receivers; my DVR list is appearing on my HD box again.  I just selected a show and it is working just like the BETA was.

When I would call in, the CSR's weren't even on the same page on telling me what I needed for DECA.  One of them said I needed new receivers, one said I needed a new dish, and another even said something about changing out my SWM!!  When I asked for more detail, they transferred me to Tech Support, who promptly disconnected me after being put on hold.  Use email--it will save you a lot of trouble!

• 91. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    djdicetn

nveegreen,

Glad you got er dun!!! The "volume" of posts today saying "can't git er dun" have seemed to "slack off". May be a sign that if customers are cooperating with the CSR's, then "**** Week for Whole Home DVR Service activation" may be about over and it will be a one call. 10 minute upgrade from here on out. We can only hope so. Again, congrats and happy MRV'ing!!!!

• 92. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    dcd

mstorr2481,  If your system is not networked, the $99 plus $49 is a bargain.  However, if you're determined to do it yourself, you'll be on your own as to making everything work.  Heres a link, be sure to follow the hard wire instructions.  I assume you can pull cables through your walls etc.  Do not, I repeat, do not set up using wireless.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/on_demand_setup

• 93. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    jazman

Thought I would share my "upgrade" experience. I've been humming along with the beta and hadn't checked the forums for a while so I had no clue that it was coming to an end. Seems like they should have the technology to pop up a warning on your screen but that's another topic.

Anyway, I called and the CSR started asking me if I had SWM and she said a few things about needing SWM and DECA. After I answered yes to the SWM question she mentioned that I had been a loyal and longtime customer, went ahead and activated the service and mentioned it may or may not work. Well, a couple of minutes later and I was back up and running. I must say that just about every CSR I have ever spoken with has been very friendly and polite, but it's obvious they really haven't received much training about the MRV offering.

Another curious thing is that I'm wondering if maybe they are a little more willing to go ahead and activate on existing networking with longtime customers whereas they may try to convince the newer customers to get the SWM and DECA installed. This is based on her starting out talking about DECA and SWM, then mentioning I've been a long time customer and just activating without any further mention about equipment or networking.

• 94. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    11andcounting

I participated in the beta and here's my experience getting converted:

1) MRV stopped working earlier this week (Wed or Thurs)

2) I called D* yesterday morning and got a CSR who said it would cost $99 for them to install "some additional equipment", plus she said they had to convert me to SWiM (which I already have).  I asked several times if I could just use my home network as I had during the beta and she said no.  I told her I would think about it and call back.

3) Since I had read these threads when MRV came out, I figured there would be some type of news about whether we really could use our home network.  I tried searching the forums but due to the "10 Minute System Upgrade" on these D* forums that were supposed to be done around 6a EST Saturday morning, they were down a good chunk of yesterday (Sat).

4) Finally around 11p EST Saturday evening I was able to log in and view the threads.  On this specific thread, I saw the suggestion to send an email from D* on-line account.  I sent the email just after midnight EST and around 8:30a EST I received an email from a CSR acknowledging my request for Whole Home DVR Service.  She explained that they could not support any questions if I use my home network, but that they would activate it anyways.  Around 9:30a EST, I received a confrimation email that the change was activated.  When I turned on my Living Room DVR, I saw that everything was up and running again just like it had been during the beta!

So if you want WHD Service, my advice is follow the instructions exactly as they are listed in this thread.  Good luck!

• 95. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    cabanaboy1977

Figured I let you know my experience.

I was part of multi-room beta and came home Friday night to find a lovely message about multi-room viewing had ended and to call cust support (thanks for the head's up D*).  I called and the rep it was obvious he had no idea that the service was out and had to put me on hold several times.  He told me I needed new equipment at $99 for this and $49 for the install fee.  When I asked him what it was for he couldn't tell me what the equipment was or wasn't.  Finally I got out of him that it was for a new multi switch, the DECA adaptors and the adaptor to get my Internet into the system.  He said he was going to upgrade 1 of my 3 DVR's that wasn't compatible with and he was going to wave the $49 install fee (for being a loyal cust and all that jazz).  I was going to have him do it but luckily for me I didn't have the money till next Friday and he said he couldn't add it bill (said all equipment had to be paid at time of purchase).  I think I spend about 30-45mins on the phone with him.

So I came back to the forums today see how everyone else's experiences were and come to find out that I don't need to pay for the DECA.  This made me soooooo happy that I didn't just waste $99 and tax.  I used the post about calling 1-800-531-5000, entered my phone number and asked for Whole house DVR Service.  I got a lady (forgot her name) and told her that I was part of the Beta,I wanted to use my own equipment and understood that I couldn't get support for it.  She went ahead and activated the service and mentioned it may or may not work (she really went heavy on the "it probably won't work).  I was off the phone in less then 5 mins and she was very nice and helpful.  She also said that they had just got a lot of info about this issue and she was aware of how to active it for me with out having to get the DECA.  So hopefully this will be much easier for everyone to get done now.

I still have to go home and check that the service is working again but I have high hopes.

• 96. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    dwatson

"Per your advise, I've already set the account attribute to "U" (unsupported) and added Whole-Home DVR Service to your account for $3 monthly."

Does this mean that now everything about your service is unsupported once you get the WDVR without DECA?

• 97. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    irishntn
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dwatson 

"Per your advise, I've already set the account attribute to "U" (unsupported) and added Whole-Home DVR Service to your account for $3 monthly."

Does this mean that now everything about your service is unsupported once you get the WDVR without DECA?

No the only thing that will not be supported is the way that you networked your equipment. If you decide later down the road to upgrade for the DECA's then if you have any issues with WDVR they can trouble shoot or send technical help.

• 98. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    cabanaboy1977

Just and update here

I came home last night and everything was working back like it was on beta!  So I'm good to go with my $3/month and saved my self $150!  Thanks guys, I've got my Multi-room viewing back, saved $$ and happy again.

• 99. Re: How to sign up for MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA) ...
    joshua1988

the $50 is not an activation fee it is a fee for new customers or customers within their forst 6 months usually

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next