8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 6:41 PM by jimmie57 RSS

Is it really Whole Home DVR or partial home DVR?

plmcmm

<p>
I have a HD receiver in the living room which lets me record programs on the HD DVR in the Den.  In the Den, I push pause during a live broadcast, and answer a call. Then I resume watching.</p>
<p>
 </p>
<p>
If I am in the Living room on the HD receiver, pushsing pause only yields a "Bong" sound.  Is there a process for the HD receiver to use the HD DVR in the other room to pause live broadcasts?</p>
<p>
 </p>
<p>
If I can record on the DVR from the HD receiver, then it appears to  this untrained eye that it shouldn't be much different to utilize the same DVR to pause a live broadcast?   Remember, I said "untrained..." <G> </p>
<p>
 </p>
<p>
Pat </p>
  • Re: Is it really Whole Home DVR or partial home DVR?
    jimmie57

You can start a live program on the HRDVR and start it recording. Then you play the the recording using the HD receiver , then you can pause it using the HD receiver because now you are playing a recording. Once you have paused it long enough you can then fast forward thru commercials on the HD receiver just like on the DVR.

I do not have Whole Home DVR  but I believe the recording on the HRDVR can be initiated from the HD receiver.

peds48

Right.  the workaround is to record the program from the HD receiver, then press the "list" button to bring up the playlist.  then you can select the show.  since the recording is coming from the HDDVR,  you can now use the trick play functions.  alternatively, you can use your smartphone along with the DirecTV app to schedule recordings to the HDDVR.

plmcmm

peds, this is what we used to call a "kludge" back in the days of "big iron" interfaces with PC's. 

I sat down with cindy, and we worked on it for a while.  Unfortunately it's a bit confusing for her.  BUT, I can log on to my account, record the programs she likes.  then, when she wants to watch one, she's able to select the recordings and play one.  Call it a trick, a workaround, or a kludge, she gets the function she's used to.

Thanks so much for the tip!  Youse is Aces!

plmcmm

Whoa!  Jimmie, even a better idea than peds, which was terriffic.  I can program the record function from the living room and she can reap the benefit in the Den.  Of course, AUTOPLAY on the HDDVR would be the best.  But if the DirecTV programmers aren't as good as the guys at dish, so be it.  It's not the first workariound I've ever done...

DirecTV guys - before you get your shorts in a bunch, I've found a LOT more features on your system that I really like than our "previous provider."  It's just that when dealing with handicapped viewers, sometimes the "latest and greatest" is a useless routine. 

So the conundrum is this - do you program for EVERY eventuality?  Or do you program for the most cost-effective broad spectrum of users?  Duh!

jimmie57

plmcmm

I can fully relate. My mother is 89. She got an HD TV about a year ago and is finally used to it.

Her phone died recently and I got her one like mine. Glad I did so I can press the buttons along with her to learn it.

Sounds like you are making good progress. It is only natural to compare what you have now vs what you had before. Not a problem.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by plmcmm 

Of course, AUTOPLAY on the HDDVR would be the best.  

you can hit PLAY on a folder and the HDDVR will AUTO PLAY those recordings in order.  pretty neat feature!

plmcmm

jimmie, I really appreciated your response.  I had to laugh when I read you thoughts about comparisons... That's when my thoughts drifted back to comparisons of my first wife vs. #2.  Neither one came with a manual. Their mothers knew everything, but neither daughter listened to a word of it. I treated both the same (as I saw it), and received wildly differing results.

Now that I've switched from Dish to DirecTV, I am grateful for one thing.  Neither dish nor DirecTV has a mother-in-law for me to deal with!

Counting my blessings, And I really love the DirecTV interface and ease of menu control.  OK, it takes a day or two to acclimate. Jus as my 200th pot of chili was a lot better than my 50th pot, so is my viewing experience today (and my 50th pot won a silver ribbon...)!

jimmie57

We are glad you are pleased with your system.

Thanks