11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2012 2:07 PM by peds48 RSS

Using Genie Picture in Picture

neil154

I just got a Genie installed today and would like help with using Picture in Picture (PIP).  I see that if I press the yellow button on the remote that I get the message bar that comes up and if I then navigate all the way to the right I can turn on PIP.  Once I have PIP how can I change the channels.  I believe I can change the cahnnel on the left side in the normal manner but how can I change the channel on the right side?  Also, can I toggle which side has the audio playing or swap the left side with the right side?

• Re: Using Genie Picture in Picture
    peds48

The program on the left when in |side by side| mode or the bigger picture when in "normal" mode is the picture in the foreground.  you can press the DOWN arrow to toggle between the feeds.. when a picture is in the foreground, you can change channels as usual.

neil154

Thanks, I got is working.

Whne I have the PIP in any mode other than side by side the entire screen is filled.  On side by side mode there is a lot of blank screen on both sides.  I tried changing the various formats in 1080i mode but it did not matter,  Did I do something wrong or do I have to waste a lot of screen?

Also, is there any way to create a "short cut" to start PIP and to stop PIP?

Thanks

peds48

there is no way to fit (2) 16:9 pictures inside a square space without altering the picture, this is why you have the extra space.  There is no way to create a shortcut for PIP as of yet, you can however create a macro using an advance programable remote control 

neil154

Thanks for the response but I guess I do not agree about the wasted space.  My HD Projection TV ratio 16:9 has a built in PIP and it just divides the entire screen into half one channel and half the other channel.  I would have expected the Genie do the same and do not understand why it does not?

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by neil154 

do not understand why it does not?

because as I said, it is impossible to fit (2) 16:9 pictures inside a square space without alteringthe picture.  This is a fact and is not up for debate 

neil154

Okay, I will agree with the science of physics but it is so much better to divide the picture in half than it is to waste so much space.

dcd

The reason for all the empty space is really quite simple.  The HD TV screen has a width/height ratio of 16:9.  If you place two HD images side by side, the combined image now has a ratio of 32:9.  Common sense indicates that a 32:9 image on a 16:9 screen will leave a lot of empty space.  Actually exactly half the area will be empty.

If one wishes to see both PIP images without any empty space then the side by side arrangement should not be used.  Suggesting that the software should alter the images in order to make everything fit would result in an unacceptable distortion.

neil154

I don't disagree with your arithmetic but again on this same TV I have PIP built in.  The built in PIP gives me 2 pictures exactly half of the screen and the picture looks reasonably the same (very minor distortion) and does not waste any room and is much more useable than the Genie PIP.

dcd

Wanna bet the TV is using a SD picture?  A pair of SD pictures will result in a 16:6 ratio image and a bit of vertical stretching would fill the HD screen.

neil154

I cannot tell if the picture is SD or HD but I can tell you that it is a lot better to watch 2 half size screens than it is to watch 2 quzrter size screens.

I realize that the Genie product is new and this is a first attempt at providing PIP.  I guess the bottom line is that it is my suggestion that DirectV can improve on the implementation.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by neil154 

I guess the bottom line is that it is my suggestion that DirectV can improve on the implementation.

physics says it is not going to happen!