3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2013 2:35 PM by garyhender@yahoo.com RSS

RC65R Remote and Vizio Soundbar

dellmech

I'm close to buying a vizio soundbar but I just want to continue using my Directv RC65R remote to control volume.  I'm a little nervous as to whether this is possible or not.  Is it ok that my remote is the RF remote? 

Can the volume buttons on the remote control the vizio soundbar without switching over to an AV1 or AV2 input?  I don't want sound to come from my TV anymore...just the soundbar.

And, when I hit the OFF button on the directv remote...will it shut off the soundbar as well as the TV and HD/DVR box?

Thanks for your help in advance

• Re: RC65R Remote and Vizio Soundbar
    garyhender@yahoo.com

Some claim success, others not. I'm in the NOT group unfortunately. Try these codes and instructions. Good luck. Mine is the Vizio 3820w-c0 soundbar. and Directv rc65rx remote. Unfortunately, people don't always include the models they are working with.

Directv code 32454, people have said vizio code belo 31517 works for some sound bards.

Vizio S3820w-C0 Sound-bar remote codes

For programming a universal remote to control the sound-bar use the following codes:

For additional information on programming your particular brand of universal remote please refer to the remote's user manual or contact the manufacturer of the remote.

NOTE: There is no guarantee that every universal remote on the market with operate correctly with the VIZIO Sound-bar.

I called Vizio and they gave me a list of codes to try ... 10120,10864,10885,01377,11758,11756,10117,10178

Program the TV which yo have done.

Move the selector to AV2,

Press and hold the mute and select buttons and hold them down for 2 flashes of the green light, takes about 2 seconds,

program in  the 31517 and wait for 2 more flashes of the green light.

With the selector in the same spot, AV2,

Press and hold the mute and select buttons and hold them down for 2 flashes of the green light, takes about 2 seconds,

program in 993 and wait for 2 flashes of the green light and then press the Select button and the light flashes 2 more times.

If that does not work, try the 32454 code in place of the 31517 and then repeat the 993 and select sequence.

Locking Volume to AV1, AV2 or TV

1. Slide the MODE switch to the AV1 , AV2 or TV position to
      lock the volume.
    1. Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT keys until the green light under the selected switch flashes twice and release both keys.

2. Using the number keys, enter 9-9-3 . (The green light flashes twice.)
    1. Press and release the SELECT key. (The green light flashes twice.)

NOTE: DIRECTV ® Receivers don’t have volume control, so the remote will not allow the user to lock vol- ume to the DIRECTV mode.

peds48

dellmech wrote:

And, when I hit the OFF button on the directv remote...will it shut off the soundbar as well as the TV and HD/DVR box?

No

garyhender@yahoo.com

The PWR button on the DirecTV remote turns off the various devices, so you need to switch to AV2 and hit PWR to turn it off. I have not tried the ALL power on/off buttons yet. I just figured this out.

Here are the instructions to do it onscreen using the Directv remote control menu.

Found the answer. Forget programming codes etc. My Samsung Plasma PN51E800GF TV you use the Directv Menu for setup for the remote control. Just walk through the menu's and you can also under ADVANCED setting lock the volume button to only work with the soundbar not the TV.

it's SIMPLE! to program your soundbar  to the DirecTV remote Menu for programming remote (Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Remote Control, Program Remote... Select the brand, then model or "soundbar", follow instructions. Then to lock the volume buttons to the Directv remote go to Advanced. You can then SELECT link the volume control of the DirecTV remote to the VIZIO soundbar. Your TV controls still work under the DTV mode (far left) on the remote. Volume controls your sound bar.