14 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2014 9:55 PM by litzdog911 RSS

Getting ready to hook up to my router

gang

I just got the Directv home cinema package and my new plasma comes in this week.  But my Verizon router has slow download speeds (as I mentioned here last week.)  Week after week at home I've been struggling with a paltry download score of .94 - 1.01 mbps according to www.speedtest.net. The other night I got a breathtaking score of 20.71.   When I checked the speedtest log, I noticed that the very low scores I've been getting come from "Wi-Fi" but the 20.71 mbps comes from "cellular."  What does this mean and how can I utilize a cellular signal source at no extra expense?

• Re: Getting ready to hook up to my router
    peds48

wow, sad that you get better download speeds from your cellular company and not your home internet service provider.  Unless you have TRULY UNLIMITED downloads from your cellphone company, there is not much you can (with DirecTV)  do with those awesome speeds.

litzdog911

What sort of home internet service do you have?  Even DSL should be faster than 1Mbps.

gang
    I have Verizon "high speed Internet."  There are, I understand, only about four compatible routers (Actiontec and Dlink.)
    peds48

Wow, Verizon should be ashamed of calling that service "high speed" because is anything but.  If you have DSL, any common router should work with your service.  but there is no router that will improve your speeds.

litzdog911

And what sort of download speed are you paying for from Verizon?

gang
    My Verizon plan is a range of 3.1 to 7 Mbps.  It's a bundle co-sponsored with Directv.                                                                                                                                                                           
    litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by gang 
    My Verizon plan is a range of 3.1 to 7 Mbps. It's a bundle co-sponsored with Directv.

That's a lot better than the 1Mbps you're measuring with SpeedTest.  Have you asked Verizon why your service is not up to what you're paying for?

gang
    Good news!  A Verizon repair guy turned up unexpectedly today, fixed my phone line at the outdoor junction and gave me a new router.  Download speeds today between 4-5.5 mbps.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    litzdog911

Much better!

kaminar

There was a complaint/lawsuit against Verizon in Dallas for false advertised DSL speeds. I know you have the bundle for now, but when you get the chance, jump internet ship to the local cable co or Clear.com.

Good luck!

-=K=-

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by kaminar 

but when you get the chance, jump internet ship to the local cable co or Clear.com.

Good luck!

-=K=-

disagree.  there was a study made last year made by a government agency, and Verizon came on top with providing closest to the advertised speeds.  as we saw from the last post from the OP, it was a defective junction box