12 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2013 6:13 PM by peds48 RSS

Cabling problem 775

jptheob

I moved my TV to the other side of the room.  Only connection I changed was the length of the coax cable from the wall to the power supply and the length of the hdmi cable from the HR24 receiver to the TV.  A program came up instantly and was working for 3-4 mins before I got "Problem communicating with dish (775).  I read other forums and the on-screen help.  I did not change anything on the back of the receiver and the light is still green on the power supply.  I did unplug it to try to reset it but with no luck.  Suggestions?

• Re: Cabling problem 775
    peds48

Make sure the coax that is coming from the wall connects to the "PWR to SWM" on the PI.  also make sure that there are no shorts on the coax extension

I am a DirecTV installer.  I post on these forums as a volunteer and as such, my views, comments, and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV 

notdeadyet

not sure it's related to this problem, but I discovered today that ext 775 is also a result of trying to use more than 8 working tuners (duals count as 2, and genies as 5) on one SWM lnb, as the limit is 8.....I could not get my friends up and running today after disconnecting it for some testing, and ext 775 (and 776) continued, BUT as soon as I reprogrammed one of his dual PVRs to single, the other machine kicked right in!!  That brought him back down to a total of 8 tuners from 9. I'm very surprised there isn't more info from our installers here on this site regarding the tuner limits :(

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by notdeadyet 

. I'm very surprised there isn't more info from our installers here on this site regarding the tuner limits :(

This fact is everywhere through this site.  just got to do a search.

notdeadyet

my apologies :) I did do a search for ext 775 to start my research, but I used Google, and ONLY this thread to come up with ext 775 was this one, but as you suggested, I did a search here for the same, and YES, there are many threads about this, so lesson learned on where to do my DIRECTV searches, and again,  sorry about that!

peds48

No need to apologize, we are all here to help each other!

dcd

These last few threads demonstrate the weak spot in procuring and installing receivers without involving Directv.  I'd guess that had the "friend" called Directv and ordered the additional equipment, the system would have automatically generated a SWM16 order to go with the new receiver.  The use may have gotten off a bit cheaper, but is left with a less than 100% functioning DVR as a result.

Of course, if the user did indeed order the receiver from Directv, then they should call and have Directv install the SWM16 as needed.

michaelbircumshaw

Housekeepers occasionally unplug the power supply to my system including this power-box SWM thing and they also have been known to move furniture thus jiggling the coax cable going into the SWM box.  Both actions have, over time, proved to be my situational causes of what is being experienced by everyone here, though perhaps not the exclusive causes covering every instance of the error.  

I simply  have learned to unplug everything and leave it unplugged for about two minutes (the SWM seems to be a power-pac too and holds onto a charge for a little bit of time, thus the green light on it slowly fades) and then plug it all back in.  There has been little to no reasoning I've experienced to sequencing the power of one piece of equipment before or after the other.  Easing the burden of this frustrating hiccup, I recently migrated every cord into a single power-strip which I simply turn the switch on/of until it reboots properly.  Tonight it took 2 cycles; sometimes it's taken an hour but this has always worked, eventually.  Well, that and tightening of the coax connections all around, but that may be incidental.

Aside from being a frustrating and senselessly negative customer experience, to me this 'error' is the result of poor design/engineering, illuminating a huge weakness of the protocols of the system regardless of the triggers my particular situation. (Intriguingly, the on-screen info for this error suggests that the box isn't even necessary when it says 'check IF you have a power converter' but I've yet to see any evidence there is another setup available). A further quibble, the system reboots every single possible step before determining if a signal can be detected, which means the whole thing takes about 6-8 minutes to cycle through before disclosing whether or not the reboot 'took.'

Good luck.  Hope this helps.  No one should ever have had to deal with a prolonged wait before a tech visit because of an accidental unplug of a small little black box with a murky purpose.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by michaelbircumshaw 

Housekeepers occasionally unplug the power supply to my system including this power-box SWM thing and they also have been known to move furniture thus jiggling the coax cable going into the SWM box.  Both actions have, over time, proved to be my situational causes of what is being experienced by everyone here, though perhaps not the exclusive causes covering every instance of the error.  

I simply  have learned to unplug everything and leave it unplugged for about two minutes (the SWM seems to be a power-pac too and holds onto a charge for a little bit of time, thus the green light on it slowly fades) and then plug it all back in.  There has been little to no reasoning I've experienced to sequencing the power of one piece of equipment before or after the other.  Easing the burden of this frustrating hiccup, I recently migrated every cord into a single power-strip which I simply turn the switch on/of until it reboots properly.  Tonight it took 2 cycles; sometimes it's taken an hour but this has always worked, eventually.  Well, that and tightening of the coax connections all around, but that may be incidental.

Aside from being a frustrating and senselessly negative customer experience, to me this 'error' is the result of poor design/engineering, illuminating a huge weakness of the protocols of the system regardless of the triggers my particular situation. (Intriguingly, the on-screen info for this error suggests that the box isn't even necessary when it says 'check IF you have a power converter' but I've yet to see any evidence there is another setup available). A further quibble, the system reboots every single possible step before determining if a signal can be detected, which means the whole thing takes about 6-8 minutes to cycle through before disclosing whether or not the reboot 'took.'

Good luck.  Hope this helps.  No one should ever have had to deal with a prolonged wait before a tech visit because of an accidental unplug of a small little black box with a murky purpose.

Then perhaps you should have the PI move to a place where it can be connected 24/7 and is "out of the way".  The PI has to be ON BEOFRE any of the receivers or the receiver might not detect the SWM network.

texasbrit

The box does not have a "murky purpose". The LNB at the dish needs power and the power inserter provides it,it's not poor design, the power has to come from somewhere.

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by michaelbircumshaw 

There has been little to no reasoning I've experienced to sequencing the power of one piece of equipment before or after the other.  a small little black box with a murky purpose.

As posted, the Power Inserter must be connected to AC power before you power up your receivers or DVR's or they will not recognize that a SWM system is present and will not configure themselves properly.  That may be why you're having to do multiple resets.

jayespo1
    I have been getting 775 randomly and not sure why. I have 2 Hr22 but one is set as single tuner. That makes 3 tuners plus genie which counts as 5. Together that is eight but I also have a client not sure if this counts as one tuner. Either way I set both of my DVRs to single so if I have 8 tuners why do I still get 775 randomly? When it happens I I plug one dvr and boom it works....makes no sense!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jayespo1 
    I have been getting 775 randomly and not sure why. I have 2 Hr22 but one is set as single tuner. That makes 3 tuners plus genie which counts as 5. Together that is eight but I also have a client not sure if this counts as one tuner. Either way I set both of my DVRs to single so if I have 8 tuners why do I still get 775 randomly? When it happens I I plug one dvr and boom it works....makes no sense!

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.