24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2013 10:50 AM by yosemite RSS

Transfer DVR recordings to new Genie

mediafishpro
I am upgrading to a new Genie setup.  I have a ton of yet watched recorded programming on my current HDDVR receiver. How do I get my current recorded content transferred to the new Genie box?  It would be unacceptable to lose all the programs I have on my DVR.  Will the tech/installer have the ability to transfer the recorded content between the two systems?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • Re: Transfer DVR recordings to new Genie
    shannon1

Sorry there is no way to transfer recordings to a new DVR, however there is a new box out that may help. This is from the weaknees.com blog.

DIRECTV GenieGO is Coming!

Posted on May 13th, 2013, by Michael

We expect to have stock tomorrow of the DIRECTV GenieGO!

The GenieGO is a great device that attaches to your network and allows you to stream and even copyshows from your related DVRs to your phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop computer.This totally frees you from needing to be in front of your DIRECTV DVR to watch channels – even premium channels!

We’re taking pre-orders now and we expect them to ship tomorrow.

Order here: DIRECTV GenieGO

This is an updated version of what DTV use to call Nomad.

You can keep the old DVR is long as you pay the extra TV charge and watch the programs then return it.

peds48

Right, there is no way to transfer shows form DVR to DVR.  The "Box" referenced above has been known as the Nomad which was rebranded as the GenieGo and as far as I know, it would not help you in any way.

barajas24
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

Right, there is no way to transfer shows form DVR to DVR.  The "Box" referenced above has been known as the Nomad which was rebranded as the GenieGo and as far as I know, it would not help you in any way.

Just curious, Can't he use the GenieGO to back up the recordings he has now on his current HD/DVR and then transfer those recordings to an external HDD that he can then connect to the GENIE and access them that way? 

If not keeping those recordings in the GENIEgO will eventually expire and he wont be able to get them back unless there is  a way to transfer them to a PC?

If taht doesn;t work either then the only other option would be burning those shows to DVD but that would probably take a long time.

texasbrit

No, the GenieGo does not work like that.

The best option is to keep the old DVR for a while until he has watched all the recordings, then call and deactivate the old DVR.

DVRs are not meant as devices for permanently storing recordings, only for time shifting.

peds48

Ya, post # 2 is very confusing.  The nomad does not help in any away as texabrit eluded 

shannon1

I was going by the blog saying you can copy to a desktop computer.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by shannon1 

I was going by the blog saying you can copy to a desktop computer.

You can "copy" to the Nomad PC client, but that is where it stays and it expires in 30 days.  You can't do anything with these files without the Nomad client

dcd

Plus the fact that when Genie records to the computer the programs are in reduced resolution.  The first sentence of post #2 was all that was needed in this case.

sjp2005

I just had the Genie system installed and I had the same problem, a lot of stuff on my old dvr.  What you can do is move the dvr to another room instead of installing a Genie Mini to that TV.  This allows all of the TVs to still access what is already recorded on your dvr and it doesn't take any memory away from the Genie.  All of my TVs had the shows and movies and it showed that we still had 100% memory on our playlist.

barajas24
    Quote:    Originally Posted by sjp2005 

I just had the Genie system installed and I had the same problem, a lot of stuff on my old dvr.  What you can do is move the dvr to another room instead of installing a Genie Mini to that TV.  This allows all of the TVs to still access what is already recorded on your dvr and it doesn't take any memory away from the Genie.  All of my TVs had the shows and movies and it showed that we still had 100% memory on our playlist.

Wow really!? this is news to me, I was under the impression that the Genie Mini or HD receivers were only able to read the content from the GENIE HD/DVR itself but its great that they you are able to share everything on your HR24 to your other TVs as well, just curios what type of receivers do you have in your other rooms ? Are those Genie Minis or HD receivers?

3reddogs3

NOTE:  You have to sign up for DirecTV's whole home system in order for your DVRs to share playlists.  (You actually see a single playlist on each DVR that's comprised of all recordings from both playlists.)   I chose to keep my old DVR (HR22/100) and had the installer set it up in my bedroom when I got my Genie.  Having the whole home functionality is well worth the extra $3 a month.  Can't tell you how many times I've started watching something from my playlist in the living room and finished watching in bed.    

sjp2005

I have 1 Genie, 1 mini Genie, and 1 hd dvr receiver

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by barajas24 

Wow really!? this is news to me, I was under the impression that the Genie Mini or HD receivers were only able to read the content from the GENIE HD/DVR itself but its great that they you are able to share everything on your HR24 to your other TVs as well, just curios what type of receivers do you have in your other rooms ? Are those Genie Minis or HD receivers?

Yes, all HD and HDDVR receivers can share content with the Genie, both ways

biggen5963

You can always just keep your old DVR if you own it, and have it deactivated.  Then you just hook it up to any TV, turn it on, let it fail to find the satellite, and then watch any recorded material as usual.  This process is a little time consuming, but will allow you to watch any episodes that you might not have watched yet, and will allow you time to find upcoming opportunities to record saved movies again.

Direct transfer would've been a nice feature in a day and age where other electronic devices do this quite easily now.