6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 3:01 AM by dcd RSS

HD DVR skips, stutters

steve123

A few weeks ago, my HR24-100 started to have a slight skip, stutter whil watching live TV.  It was happening on locals as well as other channels.   The audio would be fine, but the picture would have a slight (half second) pause then resume.   This was happened frequently, about every 20 seconds or so.   When I noticed this I reset the receiver and all was fine, but today I noticed the problem was back.  So I tried to reset the receiver again, but oddly enough, the reset process took almost 30 minutes.  The receiver is now running again, but I havent watched it enough to know if the problem is still there.

Any idea what might be causing this issue?  It is only happening on 1 of my receivers, the others seem fine.   The satellite has a clear shot to the sky, so no interference.

Is my receiver shot, or the hard drive in it going out?

Thanks.

• Re: HD DVR skips, stutters
    dcd

Let's check the hard drive.  Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to check and possibly repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test for starters.

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

If those tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive

steve123

I ran the SMART Short test and it returned a (3016) FAIL.   What does this mean and can it be fixed?

peds48

You hard drive is failing.   Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you. 

hmcm

I have a 3016 FAIL message in the Smart Short test, but the INFO System test does not show any hard drive problem. It still has programs freezing and two different CSR's say there is no problem because of the INFO Test.

When I try to do any test when the screen is frozen there is no response with the remote until it unfreezes. No error then except for the 3016 FAIL when doing the startup test.

Is there any other test I can try before the hard drive completely fails??

litzdog911

Any smart test failure codes indicate hard drive problems.  Your DVR should be replaced.  There are no other tests that will help you.

dcd

If you re run the diagnostic I posted earlier you can select the long SMART, the file and or the surface test.  However, I agree with Litzdog, any failure in any of the tests (except the file test which can repair itself) calls for the DVR to be replaced.  Note that this series of tests (which the phone reps are unaware of) will often diagnose an elusive hard drive problem that the more common tests don't reveal.  The tests are designed to reveal a fatal flaw prior to failure.