19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2013 2:06 PM by tomj RSS

Genie and Genie Mini compatibility

deejayskrill

Hi there, 

I would like to know that if I have 1 Genie and 6 Genie Mini and according to DIRECTV, I can only be able to watch live TV on 4 receivers.So, how do I know on which receivers I can watch live TV and on which the recorded shows.Please help ASAP.

• Re: Genie and Genie Mini compatibility
    litzdog911

I don't recommend that many Genie Clients (mini-Genies) for exactly the issue you're worried about.   Only three mini-Genies can access the Genie DVR tuners simultaneously.  It's sort of "first come first served".   If a fourth mini-Genie tries to access the Genie DVR, the three that are currently accessing will see a message requesting that they "let go" their tuner.   It's a bit goofy.   If you have that many TVs, it's better to stick with a maximum of three mini-Genies and get HD Receivers or DVRs for the other TVs.   They can still all see each other's recordings via Whole Home DVR sharing.  

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by litzdog911 

If a fourth mini-Genie tries to access the Genie DVR, the three that are currently accessing will see a message requesting that they "let go" their tuner.    

Actually litzdog, is the fourth client that gets the message.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by litzdog911 

If a fourth mini-Genie tries to access the Genie DVR, the three that are currently accessing will see a message requesting that they "let go" their tuner.    

Ooops.  I stand corrected.  My original advice stands, though .... having more than three "mini-Clients" is a pain.

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by deejayskrill 

Hi there, 

I would like to know that if I have 1 Genie and 6 Genie Mini and according to DIRECTV, I can only be able to watch live TV on 4 receivers.So, how do I know on which receivers I can watch live TV and on which the recorded shows.Please help ASAP.

A Genie is designed to service a Mini Client, up to a max of three.  It doesn't matter whether you are watching a recorded or a live show, it still counts towards the three limit. (thus Litzdog's advice, to not use more than three Minis)

On the other hand the Genie and all three Clients can watch previously recorded programs and the Genie will have all five tuners available to record new programming.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by litzdog911 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by litzdog911 

Ooops.  I stand corrected.  My original advice stands, though .... having more than three "mini-Clients" is a pain.

Yep, Agreed!

texasbrit

I would not recommend more than three Genie clients either. If you want more than four TVs, get H25 receivers for the others, or even a mixture of H25s and DVRs.

tomj

<Bump old thread>

I’m got a new Genie w/ three clients and would like to add a fourth. The advice in the posts above seem to revolve around the hassle a fourth ACTIVE client has which I relate to house full of people or TV’s left on everywhere.

My situation is more about convenience. There are three adults and five TV’s in my home. We really don’t leave TV’s on that we’re not watching. The forum advice is soundly against more than three clients but I’m trying to wrap my head around it.

Clarify my understanding:

1. When I turn OFF a TV that is connected to a client,
    2. the client senses via the HDMI cable that the TV is off,
    3. and the client go into standby, thereby releasing a stream.
    4. I turn on a different TV, that new client comes out of standby, and searches for an available stream. and can use the one that was just released.

It sounds simple, but I must be missing something.

litzdog911

No, I don't think the Client "senses" whether or not the TV is on or off.  The Client itself can be put into Standby, then it won't request one of the Genie DVR tuners.   Otherwise, if you have 3 Clients turned on and a 4th Client is turned on, you'll have conflict issues.   That's why we don't recommend more than 3 Clients to one Genie DVR.

peds48

yeah, is that simple.  the "issue" revolves around that the client takes a stream when ever on, and that stream could be used for recording purposes otherwise

tomj

OK, so when I turn off the TV via the RC71, it also puts the client into standby. That makes more sense.

Just to clarify my new understanding here's two scenarios:

1) I watch a 1-1/2 movie in Room A using Client A

OR

2) I watch 30 minutes of that movie in Room A on Client A, turn OFF that TV and, move to Room B/Client B and watch another 30 minutes, turn OFF that TV and move to Room C/Client C for the last 30 minutes.

In either scenario, i'm using the same number of streams and the same tuner capacity (as long as I turn OFF a TV/Client before turning another one on)

Right?

tomj

Ok, so I have two choices:

1) Install another client (since I'm confident that there would rarely be more than three clients active at a time, and the three adults in the house understand what to do if it happens).

OR

2) Install another receiver (and thereby gain two tuners). Any other advantages, disadvantages?

tomj

Looks like I have some more research to do but one final (at least for tonight) question.

The wife loves technology and has NO problem with learning new things. However, she likes things to be consistent. If I added a new HD receiver, is the on screen display consistent with the HR44? In other words, is there a difference between the display of the client and a HD receiver? She is watching something live on the receiver and can hit record the same as the HR44 or client?

carl6

As far as watching live shows or recordings, the experience using a client or a receiver is pretty much identical.  There are some features you can do from a client that you cannot do from a receiver, which involve deeper menu items regarding the Genie. Those typically are not part of the normal viewing experience.

If you get an HD receiver such as the H25, then for viewing and recording it will pretty much operate like the client.  If you get an HD DVR, then you can only record to that local DVR (from that DVR), not to the Genie.  Because a DVR has it's own recording capability, any request to record at a DVR will record on that DVR.  Because a receiver does not have the ability to record, and you are in a whole-home environment, then a request to record will go to the DVR (if there is only one), or ask you which DVR (if there is more than one).

peds48

pretty similar, but not exactly the same