13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2013 8:04 AM by dcd RSS

Understanding the SWM/Genie/mini genie tuners

rdd558

I am trying to understand how the SWM works with the Genie/Genie mini and how the Genie would work with regular HD/HDDVR boxes

I know that the Genie uses 5 tuners. If I had a Genie installed with 3 min-Genie boxes, am I using a total of 5 tuners or a total of 8?

Another scenario:  Genie installed with 3 standard HD boxes.  Am I using 8 tuners, or are the standard HD boxes "piggy-backing" off the Genie and I'm only using 5 tuners?

Does having a whole home DVR system require connecting anything to a high speed internet connection?

• Re: Understanding the SWM/Genie/mini genie tuners
    rdd558

Another question.  If the Genie minis do not use their own tuner, I assume the maximum amount of Mini-s that could be installed on a system are 4?  Let's assume 4 are installed and I am recording 5 shows at one time.  I assume that you could only watch 1 of those 5 channels on any of the 5 tvs without creating a recording conflict?

dragon83

Another question.  If the Genie minis do not use their own tuner, I assume the maximum amount of Mini-s that could be installed on a system are 4?  Let's assume 4 are installed and I am recording 5 shows at one time.  I assume that you could only watch 1 of those 5 channels on any of the 5 tvs without creating a recording conflict? A clarification on this question the Genie always stays with 2 tuners, so the proper scenerio es a Genie and 3 Mini Genies because when you turn on a 4th Mini Genie you will only be able to watch recorded shows not live time on the this one and no to avoid a recording conflict if recording 5 shows at once then you will have to watch a previous recorded show not one that is being recorded at the time.

I am trying to understand how the SWM works with the Genie/Genie mini and how the Genie would work with regular HD/HDDVR boxes

I know that the Genie uses 5 tuners. If I had a Genie installed with 3 min-Genie boxes, am I using a total of 5 tuners or a total of 8? 5 tuners. A mini uses one of the genie tuners as minis don't have tuners.

Another scenario:  Genie installed with 3 standard HD boxes.  Am I using 8 tuners, or are the standard HD boxes "piggy-backing" off the Genie and I'm only using 5 tuners? If the HD boxes are receivers only the answer is 8. IF DVR's it is 2 for each DVR.

Does having a whole home DVR system require connecting anything to a high speed internet connection? No. However without the internet you do not have access to on demand.

peds48

100%.