13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2013 5:38 AM by jbg RSS

Wireless Video Bridge and HD output resolution...

jbg

Ok so I know this new Wireless Video Bridge and certain wifi ready models are currently available like the HR44 and Genie Minis C71's I thikn? but my question is how much is this as a new customer order and is there a monthly fee for this service?

Also my other question is regarding 780i Vs 780p output resolution, which is better in your opinion and I mainly want someone to tell me from personal experience, I dont need to hear a discussion or battle about why you think its better, I know this one of those topics I just want to know how it has worked for you with your own personal experience. Thanks.

• Re: Wireless Video Bridge and HD output resolution...
    dragon83

Hey,

Regarding your first question the wireless genie mini (c41w) works with a genie (hr34/hr44) and it has the same monthly price as the old type of installation US$25 for the HD/DVR service and US$6.00 for any additional Receiver(In This Case The Genie Mini).

Regarding your second question I will leave that to the experts.

litzdog911

There is no such thing as "720i" for HD video.  The broadcast HiDef video standards are 720p and 1080i. 

shannon01

From what I've read the C-41w comes with its own base unit. for connecting the mini clients

dragon83

I am sorry shannon01 but the c41w is the model of the genie mini or clients...........so I dont understand what you are tying to say......??????

jbg

The requirements say either an HR34 or HR44 ( GENIE ) must be connected to Wireless Video Bridge and:

• At least one wireless Genie Mini Client (C41W)

The  Wireless Video Bridge and C41W clients DO NOT need a WiFi internet nework to function. So this explains alot just need to figure out costs and how could a customer order this ? im guessing if you do it online it will prompt you if this is available after you enter your zip code since its still very limited and only available in certain markets.

dragon83

Exacly it is available only in some markets and the price is the same as if you were getting a genie and a client, there is no diference in pricing in setting up an order with a genie and a client vs a genie and a wireless client, It has the same upfront fee and the same monthly fees apply.

jbg

Sorry that was a typo, I meant to say difference between 480i and 480p and I know this is not HD but still wonder what the difference is, as for 720 and 1080 you might be right dcd, for some strange reason I recorded the same HD program on my HD PVR the other day, one in 1080, the other in 720 format, the strange thing was, the 720 recording came out flawless while the one in 1080 had alot of ghosting and noticeable imperfections with the picture. Not sure if the bit rate I had set produced this issue or not but for now I think I will stick with 720 since the output files are much smaller anyway and I too do not notice any difference in quality.

As for the other question regarding the wireless feature, i am aware of the HD/DVR fees, additional receiver fees etc. but my question is more specific as to the cost of providing the wireless video bridge with new service installation, i heard from someone that it can cost up to $100, I know the CCK installation started out at $49 and then eventually it has been offered for FREE but just curious as to this new wireless setup.

dcd

You posted " I recorded the same HD program on my HD PVR the other day, one in 1080, the other in 720 format,"

This leads me to believe you may have some misunderstanding as to resolutions and what you can and cannot do.  First, a particular channel is a set resolution.  In the case of Directv they are either 480i, 720p or 1080i. (the 1080p stuff is all on demand).  When you record one of these channels, you have no choice, it will record in the resolution of the channel. (the resolution of the program itself is a different topic). The settings in your Directv receiver only decide what you do with the recording after you've made it.  The resolution and native settings in the HD receivers is a topic for a different time perhaps, so if you're interested, a fresh thread might be in order.

jbg

I made a mistake in my original post, I actually have an HD receiver with another carrier and it allows you to choose the HD output resolution manually or just set it to automatic, for example if a particular show is being broadcast in 1080i as the highest resolution I can choose to record that on my HD PVR at that resolution or anything lower like 480 or 720. The file size output will also vary depending on the resolution, for example a 2 hr. recording at 1080i will give me about a 7GB file size but a 480p recording will give me about a 3 to 4GB file.

I just havent been able to see much difference either on my TV as far as picture clarity / quality or the recording itself when I set the resolution output and capture on either 480i or 480p.

shannon01

DIRECTV Wireless Genie Client C41W Information

Posted on June 25th, 2013, by Michael

We don’t have a ton of information yet about the upcoming C41W – the wireless Genie Client from DIRECTV – but we’ve got some info. We have a new DIRECTV Genie C41W page on our site which will be where we’ll take orders for the item once we have an idea of when we’ll have it in stock.

This unit will work off a wireless signal from a DIRECTV wireless base station. This is NOT a Wifi adapter, nor will a Wifi adapter help or interfere. And, the Wifi built into the HR44 won’t talk to the C41W (although that can bridge internet to the C41W through the proprietary wireless connection).

The C41W will ship with the RC71 remote. DIRECTV says the C41W is expected to work through roughly five walls and 75 feet. Like all wireless products, range and signal quality will vary in every house and simply won’t work everywhere.

One wireless base station can handle all of the clients. But you will also be able to have multiple base stations to get better coverage around your installation. All base stations need to be wired into the SWM network.

More info as we have it . .

From the weaknees.com blog

shannon01

The differences between Interlaced ( i ) and progressive ( p) is based on the CRT electron gun, Interlaced paints all the odd lines first then the even lines, progressive paints the lines odd even, odd even, there may be some differences but you may not be able to tell.

peds48

CRT = Cathode Ray Tube.  Did not know these were still being made