10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2013 10:31 AM by peds48 RSS

Questions about Genie and Minis

swb001

Hi,

I am thinking of switching to DTV from cable.  Looks like I can get a Genie and 3 minis for free with most packages.  I tried asking some questions to representatives today but was of course deflected and had the hard sell put on me.

Question - I was told the minis are wireless to the DTV.  Is this correct?  If so I assume it could be moved to a different TV easily?

I have 5 TVs but one is seldom used in a spare bedroom.  If needed, due to inlaws staying for a week, could I move one of the Minis to this TV and get DTV service?

• Re: Questions about Genie and Minis
    peds48

No, the wireless clients re not yet available.  No ETA.  you will need to have coax in order install clients

3reddogs3

You also need to be aware that even though the Genies have 5 tuners, 3 of those 5 will be used by your 3 mini's so you'll be left with only 2 tuners for viewing and recording in the room where the Genie is.   If you opted for 3 receivers, each of which have their own tuner, instead of 3 mini's you could take full advantage of the Genie's 5 tuners (i.e., record up to 4 programs simultaneously and still be able to watch "live" TV on the TV connected to the Genie and your other 3 TVs as well).   I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the only advantage I can see to having a mini instead of a receiver is that the mini is quite a bit smaller than a DTV receiver.  Losing a Genie tuner for every mini just doesn't seem like a very favorable offset to me.    

peds48

3reddogs3 wrote:

You also need to be aware that even though the Genies have 5 tuners, 3 of those 5 will be used by your 3 mini's (only when the clients are on and watching live TV, no tuners are used when watching previously recorded material)so you'll be left with only 2 tuners for viewing and recording in the room where the Genie is(again, see note above).   If you opted for 3 receivers, each of which have their own tuner, instead of 3 mini's you could take full advantage of the Genie's 5 tuners (i.e., record up to 4 programs simultaneously and still be able to watch "live" TV on the TV connected to the Genie and your other 3 TVs as well).   I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (already did), but the only advantage I can see to having a mini instead of a receiver is that the mini is quite a bit smaller than a DTV receiver (there are more advantages, like VOD, YouTube, full DVR access...).  Losing a Genie tuner for every mini just doesn't seem like a very favorable offset to me.    

swb001

Thanks for the replies all.  I will call DTV again and inquire about the wireless genie minis.  The sales person was hyping them up.

As a follow up to my original question, if I get (4) TVs connected, I assume the main signal will go from dish to splitter by coax to my (4) rooms.  If I wanted to switch a room/TV I would jut make sure the new room coax is hooked to DTV splitter and move the genie.  Sound about right?

peds48

swb001 wrote:

Thanks for the replies all.  I will call DTV again and inquire about the wireless genie minis.  The sales person was hyping them up.

They are not yet available.

As a follow up to my original question, if I get (4) TVs connected, I assume the main signal will go from dish to splitter by coax to my (4) rooms.  If I wanted to switch a room/TV I would jut make sure the new room coax is hooked to DTV splitter and move the genie.  Sound about right? Yes

3reddogs3

@peds48:  Short of unplugging them aren't the mini's always ON?   (I thought someone had posted in another thread that there's no on/off switch on a mini.)  And aren't the other advantages that you pointed out (VOD, etc.) a function of whole home and internet connectivity? 

peds48

@3reddogs3 no unlike other DirecTV receivers, the clients do go completely off when pressing the OFF button effectively releasing the tuner.  you can turn the client off by pressing the off button on the DirecTV remote or by pressing the off button (the DirecTV logo) on the client itself

3reddogs3

Thank you.  Good to know.

kcmo

My installer just left without installing.......  I was told by both the Direct tv salespeople at the 800 number AND the rep in Sam's Club who got me to sign they were wireless.  The rep didn't even correct me when I told him I was ordering an extra mini client to take out on the deck to watch football when I wanted.

It is my understanding from the searches on here and the installer that left, that this disingenuous activity is widespread and ongoing.  Once that company makes the sale and you are installed, they get their commission and the account is turned over to direct tv.  (AND you are hosed into the 24 month agreement with the coax equipment.  If you want wireless equipment after that, YOU have to pay hundreds extra..... Personally, currently have ATT which has wireless and no contracts, sure I can get them to throw in wireless to keep me.)

I don't like dishonesty......

peds48

While DirecTV  does indeed have wireless clients, there are not YET available in all markets.