39 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2013 2:01 PM by ml0818 RSS

Genie randomly freezes during playback of recorded shows

mpauser

I have a single Genie (HR34/700) with the latest software updates (6/14). I have a single TV, so I do not have any of the mini units. The unit is connected to the internet, however I do not stream. I've done the reset which I've seen mentioned as well.

During the playback of recorded shows, the playback will will randomly freeze. Once the video abruptly stops, pressing Play on the remote does not start the video again. Instead, I have to press the fast forward once, sometimes twice, or press skip to get past that point in the video. Once I do that, then the video is fine -- until it happens again later in the recording.

If I skip a bad spot, press rewind to go back before it and then click play -- it will freeze again on the same spot.

During a playback of an hour long show, it happened 13 times -- which was kind of the straw that broke the camels back. We've had the Genie for about a month now and have had these same playback issues since day 3 (once we had some shows recorded).

• Re: Genie randomly freezes during playback of recorded shows
    litzdog911

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

mpauser

I ran all of the advanced internal harddisk tests (including the surface test and long SMART test) last night and everything passed -- no errors were found on the harddisk.

The bad news is the issue still exists -- playback freezing, having to skip past the bad spot to continue watching, going back and playing it will stop at the same point again.

Any other suggestions?

litzdog911

Is this happening on all channels?  Which one(s)?  

We've seen this problem posted from several cities with NBC station issues. 

It could also be a reception issue ....

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

17-24  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x

9-16   NA  x   NA  x   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

9-16   x   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

candybg85

I have the same problem on multiple channels HBO, Starz, Showtime, FX, History,MTV and the list goes on and on so I dont think its a channel issue!! I can watch the program live as it records and there is no problems but later I go to watch the recording of the same show and it will freeze and the only fix is to fast forward a bit.. But what is even more strange than that is I can watch the same recording again later and have no freezing issues!! Its so random I dont get it and I have read many post and ran the test I have all good signals and no hard drive issues. I have seen a lot of people who say they are on their 3rd and 4th Genies because of this issue. So for now I will not be trading out my box because as it does not fix the problem it will only give more because I will loose all my recordings and have to resetup all my recording schedule's..

krakat

I have the same problem.

I have had Directv provide new receiver.  Didn't fix problem.  Directv came out and replaced all the cabling and dish (Tier 3).  Didn't fix the problem.  The technician's have been great and are seeing this issue with many Genie receivers.  I have another non Genie receiver and have no issues with this receiver so there is a problem but is it a software issue or hard drive issue.  I have been told it's a software issue but the software isn't being pushed to the receivers in my area yet and they can't tell me when it will be pushed either...  Not happy with Directv.  Asked for just the 2 tuner DVR to repalce the Genis but it will extend my commitment with Directv.  Wasn't happy with their answer since the problem is with the Genie and this is why I upgraded to get the Genie, so why should I have a commitment if the problem is with Directv!

mgrear

I have the exact same problem! They told me that a software fix would be sent over the air and take about a week. It's been 2 weeks now so we called again. Customer service wants to send a tech out to check the box but want to charge me for the service call, that is unless I enroll in a service plan for $7.95/month. This is highway robbery! We are leasing the Genie box's so we shouldn't have to pay for a service call on THEIR box! The cable companies will replace their box for free so this should be the same deal. We don't own the box, Direct TV does, we're just leasing it from them. I'm going to cancel the service call and try customer service one more time! I'm very frustrated and I too converted from cable to DT primarily for the Genie! Not happy!

snackwell

I called Directv tech support again yesterday to see if they would send me an HR44, since the 3 HR34/700's they gave me haven't done anything to fix the problem except cause me to lose a 1/2 day of work each time a tech comes out.  At first, the phone tech told me he had never heard of this problem and that it wasn't a known issue to Directv...when I suggested he look at all the posts on the forum, he said they were not allowed to view the Internet...great.  The call was escalated to a case manager who told me a tech would have to come out another two times to "try things that haven't occurred to any of us" before they would give me new hardware.  He also told me they were having similar calls with the HR44 because it was a software problem common to both models (so why does a tech need to come out if they know that).  I am just going to pass and hope they push out a software fix soon.

Pretty disgusted as well.  I also noticed that the Directv guy responding to these posts has stopped responding.

krakat

Well I believe after a month DirecTV found the problem with random freezing during playback of recorded shows at least for my situation.  What I was told it was the feed for the local Buffalo area and once they were able to fix that it seems like I may be back in business without the frustration of random freezing.  I hope it's fixed.

ml0818

I've had the same problem with just one station - NBC. The other stations are ok. I was told by the Case Manager that it is a 'software' issue and Engineering knows about it. They can not tell when it will be fix which is bad. Replacing the DVR is not gonna fix it.

ceceuu

Just upgraded to the Genie last week and have the same problem with the freezing during playback.  They have sent up a new unit which we haven't installed yet, but after reading this forum I am thinking it is not going to solve the problem.  Today I was watching the original unit playback and it froze again.  When it does this there is no way to make it do anything and we have been resetting it.  This time I just walked away and it reset itself.  This happens on playbacks from every station.  I doubt it has anything at all to do with what station the recording is from.  It is the playback function that is failing.

ezh

I'm experiencing the same problems but I don't have the Genie; we have the regular HD DVRs (2 of them). To me it doesn't appear to be a Genie thing, as we're experiencing random freeze-ups and network disconnects when watching recorded shows in one room when the recorded content is on the other room's receiver. Every 15-45 minutes we get the disconnect, each 30-minute show has 1-2 disconnects, an hour show can have up to 3 or 4.

Some are thinking it's a hardware/receiver issue; perhaps, but two things I've noticed on our part that eliminate that as a suspect: 1) we've had the same HD DVR boxes since we signed up with DTV back in Dec '10 but we only began experiencing these problems after we moved to NC from TN a month-and-a-half ago, 2) I had our Master Bedroom receiver replaced yesterdayand we still experience it (I strongly suspected it as the culprit because everything pointed to it, plus it began powering on by itself at random times).

Per a DTV tech rep request I called my ISP (TWC) to confirm my internet speed, as she said slow speeds can cause problems. I have 30 mbps download and 5 mbps upload.

Currently, I've totally disconnected the ethernet cable between our Living Room HD DVR and Connection Kit to see if that makes a difference. I realize I won't have access to VOD but this is only to see if this alleviates freeze-ups and network disconnects. Just trying it in an effort to isolate the problem.

EDIT: still getting same network disconnections while watching recordings when ethernet cable is disconnected.

njw1061983

Hey guys DTV technician here:. I've been to many customer's homes since the advent of whole home DVR or MRV (Multi Room Viewing), and have noticed the same issue again and again. To be perfectly frank there is really only 3 things that can go wrong with a DTV system: dish, cable or receiver...in a perfect world. As strange as it sounds, I have found that many times the issue with MRV is caused by an electrical issue in my customer's home. I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion immediately, but it is possible. For those who've recently upgraded to the Genie, I would contact DTV customer care and request a service call (most installation companies guarantee their work for a certain time frame, so the visit should be free.) If after the service tech checks the big 3 (dish, cable and box) and finds no problems, ask them if they think its an issue with the house electric. If they don't know what you're talking about, politely thank them for their time, call DTV customer care and request a supervisor.

Hope that helps

NW

PS: Many of you non technician/installers may wonder what a house's electrical system has to do with your DTV service. The short answer is that most state law requires all sat dishes to be bonded to the "common house ground." This is usually at or near the electric panel/meter. So, since electricity follows the path of least resistance, if there is a problem with the home electric, stray voltage can "bleed" on to the DTV system. Since the signal on the cable is a form of electrical current, unwanted or unexpected voltage can cause many different forms of interference. In any case where the problem is caused by such voltage, the DTV tech cannot do anything to fix it. Most of us are not licensed electricians. Those who are are, are forbidden from working on a customer's home electrical equipment while acting on behalf of DTV.

sabresfan

I am just another frustrated DTV customer experiencing the same issue.  W/o reading every single post, hopefully I can help narrow down the problem a little further.  The freezing ONLY occurs when I am playing back (or even pausing for a while, then resuming) network TV.  I don't ever record ABC but I do record FOX, CBS, NBC, and PBS.  I also DVR lots of cable channels.  I NEVER have an issue when playing back cable shows.  It only happens with the above mentioned stations.  Also, I only started to experience the problem when my DVR started to fill up.  I was "down" to about 30% when it started so I figured it was due to the DVR getting full.  I deleted a bunch of stuff and got it back to 50% hoping that would solve the issue.  No dice.  It freezes a lot.  There just has to be a reason/fix for this. Have there been any new developments or solutions?

ceceuu
    Hi, I posted a few weeks ago that I had the same problem.  Update is the receiver must have been defective because before the installer came to replace it, it froze four to five times per day when using it in all modes (recording, playback, just watching one station).  The new receiver was installed three weeks ago and no problems with it at all.  It must have just been a bad egg.  Hope your problems ended too.
    sabresfan

So I called DTV and of course got a rep that was simply reading off a script.  I ran the test and did return a diagnostic error.  So naturally she just offered to send out a new receiver.  I asked for the HR44 but she said it would be a HR34.  I am hoping this solves the issue but I am not confident.