4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2013 2:13 PM by wbloom RSS

Searching for server

wbloom

On Wednesday (8/28), I had an HR44-500 (Genie), one C41W-500 (wifi mini-Genie), and one WVBR0-25 (wifi bridge) newly installed.  Over the days since, I periodically see a 'Searching for server' message on the TV attached to the one C41W.  It happens frequently enough to disrupt the viewing experience, but only in flurries.  That is, I'll see several of these repeatedly over the course of several minutes to an hour, then none at all for hours, then the symptom returns.

If it is of any relevance...

My household has an 802.1n WiFi net.  I realize that the WVBR0 WiFi net is completely distinct from any other WiFI net in the household, though, so I doubt that this is a factor in the problem.  I mention it, in any case, as a point of information.

• Re: Searching for server
    litzdog911

How far is the C41W from your WiFi Bridge?

wbloom

At 9 feet.  It was installed at 6 feet separation from the C41W; I moved it farther away since the installation crew had recommended at least 8 feet interseparation (although, oddly, it was the installation crew that had positioned it at 6 feet).  I might mention, also, that the three fellows in the crew were not all in agreement over whether the bridge was supposed to be at least 8 feet from the C41W or at least 8 feet from the HR44. Things ended up with the bridge about 17 feet from the HR44 and 6 feet from the C41W at the time the crew departed my home; then, as I said, I moved the C41W an additional 3 feet away a day later once the 'Searching for server' message had appeared several times.  Even at 9 feet, though, the frequency of of the symptom is about the same.

I can understand there being a maximum distance limitation (I've read that this is 50 feet due to the RF transmitter range), but I am curious as to why there'd be any minimum distance of separation, though.

I notice that there were two other forum postings regarding 'Searching for server' for which the recommendation was made to reset both the HR44 and the C41W.  I've done that just about an hour ago, but I haven't yet watched that TV enough since then to get any impression whether this helped.

One thing most unexpected happened when I did the HR44/C41W reset - a cell phone in the house that has presence on the household 802.11n WiFi reported complete loss of WiFI signal for about 15sec or so.  It =could= be that all devices on the household WiFi net were affected; I cannot say for certain since WiFi signal returned to the cell phone before I had a chance to go check other WiFi-connected devices (an iPhone, an iPad).  I have a hard time thinking of an explanation for this behavior since these are two distinct WiFi nets, on separate SSIDs.  I can't think of any way that the two could be coupled.  Is the WVBR0 802.11n also, and is it conceivable that the WVBR0 was using the same channel as the household 802.11n (an Apple TIme Capsule, basically an Airport Base Station with a disk)?  Or might it be that the C41W was probing available channels when it restarted and somehow stepped on the toes of the household WiFi net??  I wonder how the WVBR0 picks a channel.  I presume I have no control over the WVBR0 WiFi settings.

BTW, I did not reset the WVBR0.

litzdog911

I wonder if your two WiFi networks are using the same channel.  Most routers will autoconfigure what WiFi channel they use by looking for "open" channels, but perhaps yours have set themselves to the same channel, causing interference.   This is one reason why I much prefer hard wired ethernet connections over WiFi for things like video streaming.

wbloom

I find that if I point my web browser at the WVBR0, it connects (no authentication required!) and spills out a lengthy page chock full of status and diagnostic info, including configuration details of sundry devices/subsystems, network, and message logs.  Unsurprisingly, since the WVBR0 is based on a reference Cisco/Linksys WAP design, the WVBR0 actually identifies itself as a Cisco device in its status output.  The WiFi config claims to be using channel 44 (my Apple Time Capsule allows channels 1 - 11 and, by default, chooses one automatically at startup).  Channel 44 is one of those assigned for 5Ghz 802.11n in the US and  2.4Ghz 802.11n bands are assigned in the channel range for my Time Capsule (when 802.11n with 802.11.b/g compatibility is configured, as it is in my case).  Details on WiFi channel/band assignments at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels.

So this certainly implies that there's not an actual channel overlap happening.  Curious.