11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2013 11:15 AM by efward2 RSS

Do I need a BBC

efward2

I Have a SL3 LNB and a HR21-100. During configurattion test it states Bbc not required. Is this Correct?

• Re: Do I need a BBC
    peds48

if its a SWM LNB, no BBCs.  if not SWM LNB, yes you would need two BBCs

dcd

To expand a bit.  A SWM LNB has a single coax connection.  A conventional LNB has four coax connections.

efward2

Have single cable, thanks

dcd

I assume you're aware that I was offering a tip on how to identify a SWM dish.  Even conventional dishes can be rigged with a single coax.  Have you got your system running? 

efward2

Yes, I have one port. Should have stated that instead of one coax. Haven't got it going yet. This is for my RV.  The setup is all correct, good RG6 cable, PI connected right, looks like I'm just having problem finding the satellites.  Have correct AZ/tilt/ELEVATION. The tripod is level. Will try one more weekend then buy the auto finder antenna or a bird dog.

peds48
            there is not such thing as "correct azimuth"  the azimuth is the left and right motion on the dish, there are no markings on the dish for AZ.  you can set the EL/tilt and swap the dish left and right until you find the sats.  DO NOT buy a signal finder they are junk!  use the receiver's built in signal meter.  A birdog is a good chioice but it might be expensive.
              efward2

I mean by correct azimuth is the 205 degrees for my zip code. I don't want to be in completely wrong location to do initial set up.

Sent from my iPhone

Ed Ward

peds48
                Exactly, and that is your starting point.  You then have to sweep the dish from left to right until you lock on the satellites
                dcd

The trick is to plumb the dish mast perfectly, set the tilt and elevation as close as possible to the dish mount markings.  Then using a good compass, set the azimuth maybe 10 degrees East of the specified heading, leaving the clamps loose.  Set your receiver to the 101 satellite signal screen.  Then, a degree at a time, slowly swing the dish West, pausing frequently.  When all but 4 or 5 of the 32 transponders light up, you're looking at the 101.  Fine tune to get as close to 100 as possible.  There will be 5 or 6 with low or zero numbers.

efward2

Yes, I meant to say one port vice one coax. Thanks again. No, not yet as this is for RV. Having trouble finding the satellites.

Sent from my iPhone

Ed Ward