6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2013 1:08 PM by fedup1942 RSS

DirecTV2PC - No Video

fedup1942

As a follow up to my original question regarding where to connect the Ethernet cable, I've connected the cable from the router to the Genie and I've disconnected the Cinema Connection Kit – DCAW1R0-01.  When I start DirecTV2PC, I see my Playlist.  When I select a program the description appears.  When I select Play, the circle spins, the tracker (little thing that shows where you are in the program by time) pops up, the sound start, but the program description stays on the screen – no program.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5423 running Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium fully updated.  It has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz and 8 GB of memory.

The Playback Advisor indicated all was OK except:

• Graphics Card : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
  • Screen Capture Protection : No
  • Graphics Card Driver : 8.951.9.1000

Any suggestions?

• Re: DirecTV2PC - No Video
    dcd

The graphics card and driver will not cause you any problems, but the Screen Capture Protection is a killer.  Directv2PC provides full HD playback and as such, they require HDCP for the computer's monitor.  I've been advising on Directv2PC since the day it was released some years ago, and to my knowledge the only work around is a HDCP monitor.

A side note.  I bought a high end I& dell with oodles of memory and other goodies, but the monitor that Dell's website paired with that system was not HDCP.  In researching Dell's monitors, I had to move up two price tiers to get a HDCP certified one.  I believe that a lot more are HDCP certified now, but if I were to buy one, I'd want to see the certification in writing.

fedup1942

I read all about the HDCP stuff before, but thought that since I was seeing something (my Playlist) that was not a problem. Unfortunately, that seems not to be the case.  I'm using an external monitor (Acer LCD E181H) connected via a Targus USB 3.0 DV Dock.  When I use the laptop monitor, rather than a frozen screen I get the ‘blue screen’ blaming igdpmd64.sys.  Microsoft said to uninstall a particular update which I did to no avail. 

I would hate to purchase an HDCP monitor only to discover that’s not my only problem.  Why is technology so difficult?

Thanks for your input.

dcd

I've answered maybe hundreds of posts with the HDCP problem.  What I can't understand is why monitor manufacturers are still marketing non HDCP compliant boxes.  Is there any way you can connect your computer to your HD TV to see if you get video.  That way you'll know if a HD monitor will help.

Not sure if you're aware of the GenieGO device.  Unlike Directv2PC, you need to buy a device but it works really slick.  With it you can play on your computer or mobile device any recording stored on your HD DVR.  Now the best part.  You can watch these recordings any where you have access to a Internet connection.  I watched all my favorite recordings in various hotels and resorts during a recent road trip vacation.

Watch Recorded TV Shows on Mobile with DIRECTV GenieGO - DIRECTV

gr8ful2u2

I do not think that it true. I got no picture on my laptop but my DVI connected monitor works fine.

The message I get when trying to view on my laptop is "Unknown output connector. Supported connectors are: DVI, HDMI, Japanese D terminal output, Component Video, S video, Composite Video and Analog RGB.

fedup1942

I bought a new monitor, same problem – can’t get past the program description.  Connected the laptop to a HDMI TV and got the ‘blue screen’ blaming igdpmd64.sys. I GIVE.  I guess I will investigate the GenieGo device.