15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 11:51 AM by howardt3 RSS

Bogus Passcode/Lock

hazydave

Ok, so I've been using DirecTV2PC successfully, more or less, since last October. Just yesterday, it randomly started asking for a passcode, as if Parental Controls were enabled. They never have been on my STB (HR34). So I looked here, found someone with a similar problem, followed the advice of setting up a passcode on my receiver, despite it never having one before.

No dice. It rejects the passcode I set on my STB. It keeps insisting I'm outside the viewing window of 12AM to 11AM, which is not set on the STB, and never was. It just seems to have randomly come up with this issue, it's not syncing this data from the STB, and resets/reboots don't help. This has become, in a day, completely worthless.

Any hints?  I guess there's nothing left to try but blowing the program away and hoping it will re-install correctly. Huge waste of time, really starting to regret switching to DirecTV last fall -- nothing works properly, no one at the company seems to understand how any of this stuff works.

-Dave

• Re: Bogus Passcode/Lock
    peds48

I dont use DirecTV2PC, but I would check for parental controls onside the app itself.

dcd

Open the Directv2PC program on your computer.  Press Menu -> Parental -> Edit  Settings.  Note:  Do not enter a passcode if you've never used one, the system will accept a blank passcode entry.  Set your times and restrictions as you like and the press the done button.

I would avoid deleting and reinstalling this program as it isn't always successful.

hazydave

Thanks for trying, but that's not how it works. At the Edit Settings page, you can't actually change anything. You have to select select one o the left-hand-menu options ("Unlock Now", "Ratings", "Hours") to actually make any changes. Selecting any of these brings up a 4-box entry for the passcode before I'm presented with the editing interfaces  -- there is no way to get past that without a valid code. Which, of course, I don't have, since I never set one.

I did try removing the program, wiping all obvious traces from the registry, rebooting, reinstalling, reauthorizing, but that didn't help. And just to reiterate, this had been working fine since i set it up last fall.

There has to be a work-around, some file or registry entry that would reset the passcode. But without that, or the usual in-app magic unlock code, I believe I am screwed.

dcd

I don't wish to be argumentative but the way I described (blank, no entry passcode) is exactly how it works.  I have been troubleshooting this program in the Forums since the very first day the software was released several years ago.  I just ran the edit procedure on my PC and I actually pressed the "lock" button first, then went into edit and clicking the mouse on both hours and ratings allowed changes to be made.  Unless someone put in a passcode without your knowledge that should work for you.

hazydave

Thanks again, but this is simply not what I'm experiencing on my machine. This just happened one day -- no one has access to this computer but me. This is my personal system, in my locked office, and no one else in my household would have the knowledge to get into this system, much less any motivation. I guarantee you this happened by itself. 

It seemed to occur after an application update -- all of a sudden, I was seeing the "Done" text everywhere show up as "$Done", in all the menus. No passcode was ever entered here, though I can't vouch for any bug that might have made the application think there was a passcode entered. Upon removing and re-installing the application, those strings are back to "Done", but the lock is still in place.

Anyway, when I go to the Parental -> Edit Settings menu, I'm presented with a display of the current settings. The system claims to be locked, though as mentioned, I never locked it. If I select "Unlock", I'm given the four-box passcode prompt. There is no mechanism I understand to move past this with blank boxes, rather than some number. Similar, if I go to the "Ratings" or "Hours" options, I'm immediately presented with that four-box passcode prompt -- the UI for changing these things is obviously what comes after I present the non-existent code.

You may be one hundred percent correct on how it's supposed to work. But the fact is, that's not how it's working in my case.

gr8ful2u2

My passcode did not work as well, but it DID work on the page @dcd described.

bruce4469

I would contact DIRECTV and see if they can't help U.  That is if U wish to have service.

hazydave

Kinda thought that's what I was doing here. Are there no actual DirecTV people supporting their own forums?

Second problem: I have yet to find anyone at DirecTV who understands their systems in slightest. Obviously, such people exist, but they don't seem to be allowed into customer support, and they don't, far as I know, have an actual technical support service. Last time I contacted them (about getting my Sony 70R550A an RVU slot), I had to point the customer support people to their own web site, and they wouldn't accept that I had already set up my TV to work with the HR34, all I needed was an additional RVU slot allocated for it.... I mean, this is stuff I figured out in an hour or so, yet, not a single person I have been able to talk with understood it at my level. Not sure what they do get paid for, but it's apparently just "DirecTV for Dummies"...

bruce4469

My understand is,  that absolutely no one from DIRECTV works here.  I really have never been able to understand why they would list this website this way,  as it it confusing to most people.  If I were U,  would call the DIRECTV customer service number and ask for a technician.  Explain what is wrong,  and if they can not solve your problem then ask for a replacement unit.

peds48

The OP is having issues with DirecTV2PC which has been and still is in BETA status and and such there is no support for it. and since this SW uses the OP's PC, there is no unit to replace

hazydave

Well, calling it "beta" is a crock (not arguing that they don't, just that's not really beta software) -- maybe "not officially supported". DirecTV2PC has been out since 2008, and it's still regularly updated. It was updated several times in the last year, in fact, largely I think to properly support Whole Home DVRs like my HR34... last fall, when I started using it, it had some bugs (couldn't browse the "folders" that show up in the UI when there are multiple instances of a series show, for example -- you just couldn't play those shows).

As a professional engineer, let me tell you, "beta" has a very specific meaning -- it's an external test phase on a new product, run after the internal large-scale "alpha" testing has been run. The specific purpose of a beta test is user feedback -- the developers are looking for feedback on potential bugs they haven't been able to find on their own. So in the case of actual beta software, the developer is seeking explicit user feedback -- the channels back to the development team are open. You may find a few variations: platform companies like Microsoft do beta tests to get software feedback but also grant lesser developers preview access to a new OS; "cloud" based companies like Google often do beta tests simply to assess how well their software works once thousands or millions of people are using it; they may not always be interested in individual user feedback. And of course, sometimes it's code for "this may never be a real, supported product", but that's a misuse of the term, an obfuscation of their actual intent.

Not in this case. Maybe that's because DirecTV itself has nothing to do with DirecTV2PC development. It's actually done by Cyberlink Corporation, the same folks who do PowerDVD. At least they're the originator -- no idea who's actually doing the more recent updates.

I'm not surprised there's no support for this -- DirecTV would need their own DirecTV2PC experts, or they'd have to pay Cyberlink, for any real technical support. But it's frustrating that totally app-killing bugs like the one I'm experiencing can't even be routed to anyone able to act on them. I suspect all of DirecTV's in-house efforts in this field are being spent on the GenieGo stuff. I have one on order...

peds48

I know exactly what BETA test is, unfortunately some companies like to use this title as an "excuse".  Take a look a Apple's Siri, it has been marketed as 'BETA" for almost 3 years and still is, funny thing is is they use Siri as a major selling point for the iDevices.

dcd

I actually posted a work around for the password problem but I don't know if the OP ever tried the solution I offered, they only responded with a "that isn't how it works" reply.  This thread has become contentious and that isn't conduce to solving problems.