6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2013 1:56 PM by dcd RSS

Genie Question

panagamer

I have 1) DVR  HR24-100, 2) DVR HR 20-700, 3) HD H24-100, and 4) HD H24-100 .I have whole home.  The primary is the HR24-100.  If I upgrade this one to a genie, do I lose any functionality

• Re: Genie Question
    litzdog911

No.  You'll gain 3 additional satellite tuners if you replace the HR24.  

But note that is not a do-it-yourself upgrade.  You'll need professional installation.  You currently have 6 satellite tuners and it's likely that your dish's maximum is 8.   Replacing the HR24 with a Genie will give you a total of 9 satellite tuners, so your dish equipment must be upgraded to a "SWM16" setup.   Call DirecTV and see what they'll charge.

panagamer

If I ditch the second dvr, I would have 8 if I am correct.

Is there any benefit of keeping the 2nd dvr

litzdog911

A DVR is always nicer than a Receiver.  What would use on that TV instead of the DVR?   You should call DirecTV because they might have a sweet Genie upgrade deal for you, and the tech will provide whatever dish equipment is needed to handle up to 16 tuners.

panagamer

Direct tv is offering to upgrade to a genie free of charge. Main reason I want to change is dvr becoming slow to respond despite all resets, remote changes etc.

1)If I only replace the primary dvr and keep the setup otherwise the same (one dvr and 2 receivers) I do not need to use any minis do I?

2) I would then have 7 tuners correct?

3)Will genie be able to see other dvr and vice versa as they do now?

4) Will the 2 receivers see both dvr and genie?

thanks

dcd

Directv will put is a SWM16 that will handle up to 16 tuners as part of your Genie upgrade.  If it were my system, I'd keep the HD DVR's and get rid of the H24s.  Note that the main reason for a HD DVT to slow down is a hard drive that is near full.  Your HR24 should be faster than the HR20.