20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 10:05 AM by unipenguin RSS

Guide Disappears

unipenguin

My home has 5 HD DVRs in it.  Due to a lackadaisical and spotty internet connection, the Genie is not an option for us.

About a month ago,the Guide started disappearing on the machines.  Each one was affected, but not always at the same time. However, if it happened while we were out, recordings are missed and tempers flare.   MOST times, it could be restored by re-booting the units.  Refreshing the service has no effect. 

Since the DVRs were very old, tech support sent out all new units.  They worked perfectly for two hours....until the software updates started hitting.  Since then, the guide has begun disappearing again, and with greater frequency.  When the guide button is hit, all channels read; "Regular Schedule" with no data.  We went to bed with 3 of them working and two without guide, and wake up to one of the ones that DIDN'T have a guide now showing information, and the rest with "Regular Schedule" showing.  The solution is to reboot.

I am well aware that it will take up to 96 hours for a fully deployed Guide, but this is a completely different issue. 

Any ideas?

• Re: Guide Disappears
    peds48

Actually it should only take about a day or so for the entire guide.  it sounds like your dish is misaligned.  please post your signal readings

You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. If you have a DVR it's important to check BOTH satellite tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner on the new post you create, using the example below as a guide. (The example below is only an example and not a form that will appear in your post unless you "cut" and "paste" it.) A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):
    Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
    [Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
    1-8 X X X X X X X X
    9-16 X X X X X X X X
    17-24 X X X X X X X X
    25-32 X X X X X X X X

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
    [A few HD channels, also beamed from 99 & 103º]
    1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA X
    9-16 NA X NA X NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
    [Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA X X X
    25-32X X X X X X X X

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 X X X X X X  NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA X X
    17-24 X X X X X X X X
    [Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 X X X X X X X X
    9-16X X X X X X  NA NA
    [Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 X X X X X X NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA X X
    17-24 X X X X X X X X
    [Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    9-16 X X X X X X X X
    17-24 X X X X X X X X

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 X X X X X X X X
    9-16 X X X X X X X X NA NA
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

unipenguin

We have had issues with satellite access for quite a while.  That was the main reason for switching to HD DVRs many years ago, because we lost access to the locals on the SD feed. 

If that is what triggers this guide loss, this may be the end of the road for DirecTV at the ole homestead, because installers insist there is no place on the property to get a better signal.  Tis a pity....I've been a loyal customer since 2000, but if my neighbors won't slice off the tops of their inconvenient trees, we may have to go to >>gulp<< cable, with its ****** picture.

peds48

so it looks like you are having issues picking up the 119 satellite, since you dont have any SD receivers, you might be able to swap your 5LNB to a 3LNB.  the difference is that the 3LNB gets the guide data from the 103 as opposed from the 119 if you have a 5LNB

Of course, this is speculation on my part since you refused to post your signal readings

unipenguin

Well, "refused" is a bit harsh.     I have a house full of company with 12 kids of different ages right now, all occupying seats in front of the TVs. If I were to interrupt the movies, Phineas & Ferb and football to go into setup, riots would ensue. 

When we have the house to ourselves, I'll be able to check signal strength.  Thank god for smartphones or we wouldn't be having this conversation.  Off to slice pie for the masses!

peds48

well my point was not to offend, sorry.  post those readings when you get a chance.

texasbrit

and FYI you do not need internet for the Genie...

unipenguin

Dropbox - New folder here... try this.  it's a folder containing pictures of the signal strength screens. The 119 is completely non-existent.

tech_1438

Several issues here.  Your signal levels on the 101, 99, & 103 satellites are a little off, and could stand some fine tuning.  Signal on the 110 on 1 of 2 tuners is confusing but irrelevant, due to your complete lack of signal on the 119.

Replacement of your current Slimline 5 LNB (three feedhorns) with a new Slimline 3 LNB (one feedhorn), and repeating satellite setup on each of the receivers to the new Slimine3 ODU setup, should eliminate your Guide Data issues.

If your dish is easily accessible, it is an easy swap. Here is an example of the LNB you need.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=SL3&d=DIRECTV-SL3-SlimLine-Four-Out-KaKu-Slim-Line-LNB-(SL3)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=

Good Luck!!

unipenguin

It's not an easily accessed dish; I will leave it up to a technician.  Good to know that we might be able to squeeze more time out of the satellites....and if lightning would only strike a couple of trees in my neighbors' yards, I'd be all set up. 

Thank you so much to all of your for your help.

texasbrit

OK, you have a 5-lnb dish and the probability is that your line of sight to the 119 satellite is blocked (trees maybe?) which is why you are losing guide data.

You have a 5-lnb dish because in your zip code the SD locals all come from 119. I assume you don't access them, because you would get 771 messages.

DirecTV  insists on the 5-lnb because of the SD locals. If you want to change out the LNB for the 3-LNB as suggested by tech_1438 that will solve the guide data problem because the 3-lnb gets the guide data all the time from the 101 satellite, it can't even see the 119 satellite. That's what I would recommend also. But as a warning, if a DirecTV tech comes on a service call they might want to go back to 5-lnb, and will look for a different location without the line of sight issue.

unipenguin

thanks for that heads-up.  It's been so long since I've had to deal with any issues with the dish/eq that I am a bit out of the loop.

I have had some real experiences with DirecTV technicians....for example, when the guy came to install my dish when we moved:  Big fella rolls out of his truck and proclaims "I don't climb ladders.  Where do you want the dish?" 

He left quickly.

I will make SURE that they bring a 3 LNB kit with them. If they don't have one on the truck, you KNOW it's not going to be "the right answer". 

texasbrit

In your area because the 5LNB is the normal install they may not have a 3LNB kit on the truck, or even in the warehouse. That could cause issues, because the tech will look for somewhere on your property where the 5LNB can be installed with line of sight to all the satellites, and if there isn't anywhere he might just mark the tech visit "no line of sight" and leave.

You might end up having to get the 3LNB yourself and install it yourself. The installation is easy, assuming you can get to the dish. If you are careful, you won't even disturb the alignment. But your dish needs aligning anyway (signals lower than they should be on the HD satellites).

I'm concerned that you might only have two choices:

Have the 5LNB relocated to somewhere where there is line of sight to 119, or

Install the 3LNB yourself, and align the dish yourself.

A lot depends on the tech who comes out, but if he can't get a 3LNB assembly in the first place it's a moot point.

unipenguin

I will get the 3 LNB myself, then, and have it ready for him.  If he gets

cranky, I'll have him align the dish, take a deep breath and install it

myself.

I've done it before, but the pitch on this roof is a little fear-inducing.

Still, my mother lives with us, and I'll face down the roof if need be,

just so I don't hear her complaining about missing "The Young and The

Restless" anymore! 

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM, texasbrit <directv-admin@forums.directv.com