95 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2014 1:27 PM by peds48 RSS

Pixelation on local NBC Channel

bskouby@siu.edu

I'm having some issues over the last couple of weeks with pixelation issues on my local NBC affiliate (WPSD TV 6) during prime time TV.  The issues shows up on live TV and in recordings.  It is random, and varies between frozen screen and audio, to just frozen/jumpy screen while the audio continues.  Sometimes it is not too bad, other times it makes programs pretty much un-watchable. 

So far I have only noticed this on the local NBC channel, any recordings I make at the same time off of national feeds do not exhibit this behavior.  This is during completely clear weather.  All satellite transponders show signal strength levels in the 90's.  Since this only shows up on local channels, I do not believe that it is a hard drive issue on the unit.

I have not noticed this behavior on our second DVR (HR24-100), only on our primary DVR (Genie HR34-700). 

Any other people our here having similar issues lately?  Or any ideas from DirecTV Tech support?

• Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    texasbrit

A number of posts about problems with NBC locals and the HR34. I believe DirecTV is investigating these. Other than replacing the HR34 with an HR44, there's no current solution

jamielogical

This isn't unique to NBC broadcasts. I'm watching my recording of tonight's Nascar race, which was broadcast on ESPN and it's doing this quite a bit. Looks exactly like the example videos posted below. I've had this problem in the past as well, thought I don't remember all the channels it has happened on. I know for sure it HAS happened on NBC for me, as I remember one episode of America's Got Talent was completely unwatchable due to this same issue.

jamielogical

I lied. Apparently, despite the ESPN logo all over the screen, tonight's race was actually broadcast on ABC. Still not NBC though.

PS: I have an HR34/700.

ssaylor

There are reports if this occurring on ABC, CBS and NBC in isolated market areas. Let's just say local channel feeds. There is a problem with the way DirecTV receives local signals. Apparently, our local channel's here in Tucson are transmitted to LA and rebroadcast to us in AZ. ***?

Well, I did the last thing I could do to try & resolve this - I had a HR44 installed. Will report back.

litzdog911

You might be having a totally different issue. Best to start your own new thread with more information about your equipment and any troubleshooting you've tried so far.  Be sure to check your satellite signal readings, too.

lindaramar

I've spent over three months on this issue (pixelation on local channels). They are still saying there have been no other reports of this problem. We all know that's not true. I have given up, and have cancelled DirecTV.

cbierwirth

I am having the exact same experience for many months - though only with recordings - never with live streaming.  Nearly all my Olympic recordings can not be viewed.  Same for Today Show and NBC Nightly News.    No problem with any other channel.  I've talked to many people at DirecTV and they all insist I pay for the replacement DVR to be shipped which really makes me mad.  When ever I had problems with Comcast equipment not only would they replace the unit - they'd send someone to install it.   With DirecTV competing with COMCAST (who owns NBC - and as of today's news apparently Time Warner by the end of the year )  it makes you wonder why this fix is taking so long.  If this is not resolved soon - when my 2 year subscription is over I'm out of here. 

gort
        cbierwirth,

The people at DirecTV are a bunch of weasels who claim they can do nothing to get you an HR44, even if they grudgingly admit that there is a problem with the HR34. The only way to get an HR44 is to ask for a service call. Try to save some examples of bad recordings to show the tech. It also can help to show some of these posts to avoid getting stuck with another HR34.

Good luck,

Gort

cbierwirth

Thanks Gort!

I appreciate and will follow your advice.

Chuck

schoff

Hi,

This has been happening to me over the past few months on occasion. Did not call until today but the Tonight Show w Jimmy Fallon recorded last night was unviewable so I called. I have the HR34. The CSR heard of the problem although he said not lately. I informed him of the forum threads attributing it to the HR34 and requested an HR44 per the suggestions here. He said he's heard of the problem on other DVR models as well including non-HD. After some hesitation and perhaps conferring, he stated he will be sending me and HR44 as a replacement.

I hope it works.

gort

Don't be surprised if they send you another HR34. A seemingly reasonable manager told me she would send an HR44, but it turned out to be an HR34.

shannon01

The computer assigns what receivers are sent the CSR has no control over it only a tech if they have it on their truck can swap it or you can lease it from a dealer like solidsignal.com or weaknees.com with an upfront lease fee.

mrtyler10

Not entirely true if noted in OmS correctly u can ERP a receiver to a

different model CCR in this case doubt they did being the hesitation part

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014, shannon01 <directv-admin@forums.directv.com>

schoff

Did install the replacement HR34. The pixelation did not reoccur so I shipped the older one back. The software on the one I got seems not to work as well in minor details but it certainly is worth the overall improvement.

cbierwirth

Wish you all the luck in the world. 

I’ve gone through 2 of these 34’s with the exact same results.  Called and said get me a 44 or I’m out of here. Yesterday they finally sent 2 techs here with a 44 to replace the first one they shipped to me that had a dead power supply.  Makes me wonder if anyone is QA’ing this stuff before it goes out the door.

The 44 is significantly faster and a much smaller box and wi-fi which helped free up an RJ54 power on my router.

Got my fingers crossed this is the last time I will have to deal with them over the phone.

Chuck

schoff

I received the replacement DVR and indeed it was another HR34. The CSR I called explained that they can't control which model is shipped. They're both the same. He insisted, despite all my objections and referencing the technical forum, that it was my specific HR34 that was the issue and the new one will not have that problem. It has a manufactured date of October 2012. So I guess I will have to try out installing and activating the "new" HR34 and see if it happens again. Any other suggestions out there?

litzdog911

The problem does not affect ALL HR34's, so ahead and give this replacement a try.  Keep us posted.   As previously suggested, the only sure-fire way to get an HR44 is to order from a dealer like Solid Signal, or request a service visit and hope the tech has an HR44 on their truck.

wooferz

Greetings. I work for DTV Tech Support and Protection Plans. We are currently aware of a broadcast issue with MSNBC. There is some random freeze frame/pix issues. Our National Broadcast Center is currently working on this issue.

schoff

Please be aware the problem (as far as I am aware) is NBC,not MSNBC. I received a replacement HR34 and it worked for a while. Recorded the Tonight Show a week ago and it was unwatchable. This occurred with the replacement HR34. Northern NJ area. This does not happen with CBS, etc., only with NBC. If the HR44 is the solution as described by others, why can't DirecTV just swap them out? This is an ongoing serious issue.

snoking

We finally got DTV to replace out HR34 with a HR44 in the fall and the problem is 99.99 percent gone! My son has a HR34 and just the other day told me he has the problem. It might be a NBC problem, but DTV can fix it on your end with a HR44!

According to DTV, there is a river in Egypt named de-nile!

Chris

wooferz

Yes, I'm aware of the issues with the HR-34, I'll be the first one to admit they are a headache! I understand everyone's frustration with them. I deal with them everyday and chances are if it's a tech support call about a genie, it's going to be the HR-34. I will check my resources and get back to all of you soon with some additional information. =)

texasbrit

I hope you mean NBC not MSNBC.....

theotherjim

I see the problem on MSNBC as well as NBC. Note that both are broadcast by NBC, so this is what I would expect. However, we saw it on ABC as well, when we taped the Academy Awards.

Wooferz: Do you expect to be able to fix this with a software patch for HR34 owners, or are we all going to have to upgrade?

I'm reluctant to call tech support on this, because I know they'll have to follow the script (unplug the DVR for 30 seconds, etc.) even though I've already done all that. If anybody knows of a shortcut, some magic phrase I can use to avoid all that, let me know! Please!

Jim

peds48

There was a glitch on MSNBC last night

wooferz

There was a national broadcast issue with MSNBC and a handful of other channel the other day, issues are not related however. It's a sep. issue I was referring to, happening to all customer's in most markets, regardless of their equipment. Sorry for the confusion.

fscott58

We live in northern NJ and have been having the same issue for the past week or so.  We just got off the phone with Direct TV tech support and were told that they have not heard of this issue.  It seems to be specific to NBC Nightly News for us.  Seems that we are not alone.  We also have a HR34,

fl_dtv_tech

it seems like its a engineering issue that I'm sure DTV is working to fix. If its just one channel, and multiple people having the same exact issue with the same exact channel then that would most likely point to engineering issue. DTV may not have it as a posted caddie yet because you are the first reporters. It takes a certain volume of the same exact issue being reported before they will dispatch a hit squad to take out the issue. IN Florida we had the same problem with WRBW-65 for about 2 weeks. I couldn't watch my "always sunny in Philadelphia" re-runs because of constant pixilation and freeze framing. But now all is squared away!

izzyinmd

We're having the same problem for the past couple of weeks with NBC & I'm glad that I'm not the only one.  I have HR-34 receiver.  I made sure to report our problem too.  We're in MD.

coastalcarolina

I'm having the same problem with 2 different HR34's in 2 different locations in Upstate SC.

Looking forward to following this thread and seeing any developments.

gort

I posted something about this problem several weeks ago. For me it usually occurs on NBC during the news, but I have seen it at other times and occasionally on a couple of other channels. It seems that it occurs either not at all or many times during a recorded show. It rarely only occurs once or twice during any given show.

DTV also told me they have never heard of this. I doubt they will do anything until they get complaints from a lot more people. I now record a few shows also on my HR21 in case the Genie recording is unwatchable.

bkbauman

We have a similar problem with a Genie HR34-700 which was installed in early August and the pixelization problem started almost immediately. It seems to be limited to the local NBC channel and is worst during the Today Show when the they do the scenes in the plaza.  DTV support has been stonewalling on the problem - we've been through the standard reset, power off routine with several reps.  They payed lip service to elevating the problem to team that would contact the local station - no action there after 72 hours.  Then they tried to sell us a service contract.  That put us over the edge and on 2 Sep they are sending a tech out on a "courtesy visit".  I'm beginning to rue the day I agreed to upgrade to the Genie

mrtyler10

YES most likely when 1 local is affected most likey freeze frame pixils or video no audio type issues  it turns out to be broadcasting issues that DTV can not control and sending tech or replacenments never premitted in these cases, if local issues we will have your area and all issues that occur in your area that may affect the programing and advised of the issue we never get esimates on resoultions but we can tell you if it is an issue simply by calling ---First couple customers that call we send info to esclations teams they verify on there end by pulling your locals and reply back to Tech support if trully an issue .Always call 1800 531 5000 if you run into situations like this!

gort

There are some things about this probalem that I just don't understand. First, why is it seen only on Genie's. If it is a broadcasting issue, why does it not affect other DVRs as well? Second, I always thought that live tv was actually a recording in real time. But it seems that live tv is never affected by this problem.

Could someone please explain how this can be? Thanks.

litzdog911

gort,

From my understanding of these sorts of issues, the Genie uses a different MPEG video decoding chipset (from Broadcomm) than the other HD DVRs, so that might have something to do with only seeing this issue on the Genies.

And "Live TV" is processed somewhat differently than recordings with respect to the hard drive-based recording buffer.  

ssaylor

Here are a couple great examples. Genie HR-34 (I've had 2, same thing). 

DIrecTV Pixelation on NBC - YouTube

DIrecTV Genie Pixelation on NBC 2 - YouTube

gort

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I see, and the problem is not getting better. Often it happens even more frequently. It seems to be mainly a Genie problem. If I record the same show at the same time on my HR-21, the pixelation happens only on the Genie.

ssaylor

Tech was here today. Agreed it was not a receiver problem since he has a HR24 non-Genie and it occurs for him as well! This is a transmission problem and unless it's resolved soon I'll be switching back to Comcast. 

texasbrit

If it happens on the HR24 it's almost certainly a different issue. This problem only happens on the HR34 (not even on the Hr44 as far as we can tell)......

ssaylor

I'm sure it's the same issue. Check the videos above.  

texasbrit

Does not happen on my HR24, HR21 or HR20. Only on the Hr34. Your video was for the HR34, you will see that others have reported it's only on the HR34.

ssaylor

Yes, mostly on the Genie but according to the DirecTV guy, it's occurring on his HR24 too.

The local NBC affiliate is monitoring with a D12-100 but it's not HD.

texasbrit

I wouldn't put a lot of credibility on what the DirecTV tech told you....

ssaylor

He had nothing to gain by lying to me. He actually called his manager to document my case (which is still open and unresolved BTW ) and left his number for me to call when I notice it occurring in real time. Additionally, I just received a message from our local NBC affiliate and the have activated logging on their reception. They have asked me to call with exact times so they can see if there are any transmission anomalies. So I'll play a little longer.

ssaylor

He had nothing to gain by lying to me. He actually called his manager to document my case (which is still open and unresolved BTW ) and left his number for me to call when I notice it occurring in real time. Additionally, I just received a message from our local NBC affiliate and the have activated logging on their reception. They have asked me to call with exact times so they can see if there are any transmission anomalies. So I'll play a little longer.

ssaylor

ssaylor

Well, make a liar out of me! I stand corrected.

Service was out last week and replaced my HR34 with a HR44 and I have not seen ANY pixelation/freeze issues with the recordings on NBC or any other channel. On the other hand, I did pick up a 1 sec. blackout (with sound continuing normally) on CBS today which is a separate issue.

So, folks, here's another nail in the HR34's coffin. It takes an act of congress (in short supply these days) to get DTV to install a HR34 but open a case, keep on them and they'll do it.

gort

ssaylor,

Other than the bug, do you see any difference between the HR34 and HR44? Does the software seem to be the same? Does it connect to clients the same way? Does it have the same outputs?

Thanks,

Gort

peds48

gort wrote:

Does the software seem to be the same?  YES

Does it connect to clients the same way?  YES

Does it have the same outputs? YES, with the HR44 having optical out and the HR34 does not

ssaylor

Yes, besides adding an optical dolby digital connection (that was removed from the HR34 for some reason), the main differences are; 1) the power supply has been removed from the unit so there's no fan internally to keep the PS cool and 2) onboard wireless - connected the unit to my Apple Airport Extreme network without any issues.

The HR44 is about 1/2 the size of the HR34 and does RF as well as IR remote. I only have 1 TV so I can't comment on the whole-home wireless features of the HR44. 

goes211

Just chiming in from another neck of the woods, N. Idaho (Spokane WA. "local" network feed). Same pixilation, freezing, jumping problem on my HR34.

Last week it was during the USC/Notre Dame afternoon game on NBC. It was virtually unwatchable (and not just because of how USC performed!) I've also seen the problem during SNL (repeat versions @ 10:00pm on Sat. and new Eps. @ 11:30.) Last night (10/24) it was really bad during CBS primetime (Crazy Ones, Elementary etc.)

I too have contacted DTV about this, and received the same "this is the first I've heard of this" response. Is there a magic number of complaints they need to receive before they'll take it seriously?

ssaylor

Just point them to a few of these threads and the videos I posted previously. Simply an unacceptable level of service for the price we pay. Keep on them and tell them you're going to walk if it's not resolved. Your HR44 is coming soon, I can feel it!

goes211

I emailed DTV, sent the YouTube links, directed them to this forum, etc. The reply..."call us".

I did, explained everything, got the same "first I've heard of it" answer. Told them about the HR44 fix noted here on the forum but was told I had to have a tech out (again) to check it out (again), and if the problem remained, then maybe I could get the replacement. I even asked if the tech would have an HR44 with him and was told "no". I asked for a credit for disruption of service, and was given a nominal one of just over $10 (better than nothin')

Tech showed up today, I explained the situation and before he even came into the house, he had the HR44 in hand. He said the tech's he knows of, know of the HR34 issue(s) and are swapping these out on a regular basis these days. So in spite of what the CSR may tell you, the tech may come prepared (though your results may vary from state to state!)

One other difference in the connections besides the Dolby digital connection, is that they removed the S-Video output. No biggie for most here in the 21st century, but I'm hooked up to an older TV in the room in question, and I was hooked up via S-Video. Back to RCA cables now.

So thanks ssaylor and others who posted about this, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope this resolves the issue. Good luck to all the others in the HR34 abyss...we'll be waiting for you on the other side!

ssaylor

Another success story.... GOOD JOB!

snoking

Well I read in another thread that DTV was fixing this issue market by market. We watched a NBC show recorded yesterday(Katie) without a problem and I am currently watching "Ellen" recorded yesterday without issues! Both of these experienced play back issues regularly in the past.

Or did my last change completely removing the Cinema Kit and DECA from my installation fix it. I have the HR34-700 Genie on coax with a Driectv band stop filter (BSFR01), to the power supply and the other side of the power supply on port one of a 4 port SWiM coax splitter and plugged into my router on it's ethernet port. The HR22-200 in another room is on SWiM Coax and ethernet and is working fine including play back from the Genie. The DECA that "was" on the HR22-200 ran so hot you could fry an egg on it.

So did I fix it or did Directv fix it?

lanierb2

I"m chiming in as well, this time from SF (local NBC station KNTV San Jose).  I'm on my second HR34-700 and still having the exact same issues shown in the youtube videos above, only on NBC.  Time to hound DirecTV.  It ruined Sunday night football two nights ago, ruined the Voice last night, and then the Voice again tonight.  It's obviously something to do with the compression because it has never once happened on a commercial, and usually happens when there is action on screen, such as the middle of a football play.  It's infuriating!

snoking

Well we watch the Voice Live Tuesday, so I just replayed it and it is fine. Mondays was completely un-watchable. David from Office of the President is off checking on what they can do for me. They still are blaming it on NBC and denying the condition is fixed with the installation of a HR44. I suggested they read their own forum!!! Chris

snoking

OK, got a call back and he said they are going to send a HR44! Chris

snoking

That opens an interesting thought!!! Watch it live and record at the same time and it is fine. Recorded it with the box off on Monday and it was a complete mess. I wonder if there is a clue in that!! Chris

goes211

The HR44 was definitely (at least in my case) the cure. Not a single issue with pixelation since.

I too had tried the "live" versus recorded viewing on the HR34 prior to my last call. Watched SNL on one set, while recording the same episode. The recorded version was an unwatchable mess, while the live viewing was fine. So anyone who says it's not the HR34's issue, is mistaken (or misleading!)

ssaylor

HR44 UPDATE:

After running my HR44 for a couple months I can say, there has been almost no pixellation during live or recorded transmissions. However, what I am now noticing (that did not previously occur) are periods of 1-2 sec. of video blackout while the audio continues. This is well documented in other threads as another problem, on other channels. I have 30 years on IT systems admin & support and am beginning to think both of these pixellation  and blackout problems are related to the transmission issue. I suspect the machines are just handling the transmission problem differently. That said, I'd much rather have the blackouts since the audio continues and you can maintain continuity of the programming!       

snoking

Our HR34-700 does the black out thing once in a while, but not often! Chris

theotherjim

Assuming all these things work the same way, what I think is happening is this: Compressed video signals consist of a key frame and a series of "delta" frames. The key frame has a lot of information, but the delta frames only have to record the changes from the previous frame. If part of the signal is missing, the decoder doesn't know where to start, hence the "jittering," the jumping back and forth. It has to wait until it gets a recognizable signal to restore order. Caveat: this explanation is based on my experience, back in the dark ages, with early animation software and could be -completely- wrong. Anyway, add me to the list of people experiencing this problem with the HR34. We see it on NBC and MSNBC -- almost all the Tonight Shows with Jimmy Fallon have vast unwatchable stretches -- but I can't say that it doesn't happen on other channels. I'll start paying attention...

icedcorn

I have an HR34-700, it just started acting up on my on my ABC channel (WMUR/Channel 9). Same exact issues. Freezing live or recorded, any genie device. Frustrated.

brohug

Been experiencing these symptoms in Raleigh on a HR-34/700 since November-ish. Playback recordings of live TV (like NFL games) experience random stutters and freezing. The channels I've seen this on include (but not necessarily limited to):

• WRAL - CBS
    • WRAZ - FOX
    • NFLN - NFL Network

What's interesting is that I don't see it on the commercials between live segments. As others have mentioned, if you tune directly to the live feed (while making sure that the recording has stopped), everything appears normal.

Theory: there is some kind of out-of-band digital signal in the live video stream that is not understood or processed by the recording software itself. Thus, the DVR interprets it as a signal interruption and retries a few (virtual) frames backwards to see if it can get the signal right/clean. There is something of  a rhythmic nature to the freezes.

carbondalino

I'M in your same viewing area. I have had this same intermittent problem on all of my local channels (and only local channels) for several years. The 'solution' is to go in to your menu and restart the receiver. This works for a while but it gets old having to do it frequently, especially when you lose the channel in the middle of something you're watching and miss five minutes while it resets. Have had several conversations with Directv but no explanation for why it happens. If you google 'directv local channels' you will see that this isn't an isolated or recent problem. Must be something Directv doesn't want to spend any money fixing however. Would love to know a permanent fix if you find one.

dwood72

Having the same issue but it's ABC (Channel 4) in Seattle.  This issue is in addition to Video freezing but audio continuing on recordings or if using pause, rewind, etc on live TV.  All threads for my issues seem to point to getting my HR34-700 swapped for an HR44 so I'm trying to get the technician out soon but having to deal with the stupid customer service hurdles (yes, i unplugged my receiver, reset my receiver, tested my signal strength), it's maddening.  Will update if I am able to get swapped for a HR44 and it fixes the issues.  Now if they'd only offer a way to transfer everything from the DVR to the new box...

litzdog911

Hmmm.  I'm in Seattle and have not seen this issue with my HR34 on KOMO4.  

texasbrit

dwood72 - I think you have a different issue, those symptoms are quite different from the ones associated with this particular bug.

dwood72

I'm having multiple issues, so I probably should have just stuck to the one for this thread to eliminate confusion.  Simply, what's happening in the YouTube videos posted by ssaylor above has happened for us a lot on the local ABC here in Seattle.  The other problems are more significant though, just hoping a swap to the HR44 on my service call on Friday takes care of them all.

dwood72

Service call on Friday was about as quick as they come.  Showed the tech an example of both a frozen video, audio continue recording and a recording from ABC Seattle that was so pixelated you can't watch, both of which I saved on the DVR.  Within a few minutes he was taking my HR34 to the truck to swap for an HR44 and confirmed this is a well known software issue with the HR34 that DirecTV can't seem to solve with an over the air software update and the way to fix is to swap out for the HR44.  With the equipment protection plan I have on my account the service call and the swap of the unit was all free.  Only cost was my time for 3 painful phone calls with customer service I had to endure so they could walk through their checklist (reset system, run system test, check satellite signal, etc.) before they'd set up a service call.  About a week in and haven't seen any of the same problems occur on the HR44... fingers crossed it stays that way!

captlarryo

I am having the same exact issue with my HR-34-700.  Called DTV and told them of the problem of pixel freezing on NBC.  Of course they told me that they have "no known issues" with this.  They ran me through the reset process and to check my signal.  Signal is 98-100 on all bands.  I told them that this problem is only on the HR-34-700 and not happening on my H25-700.  Told me that could be a software issue and to wait for the next update.  Really?...  This has been going on far to long and requested a HR44 and they shot me down. Would not even schedule a service call!  Why am I paying 7.99/ mo for a service contract if they won't even send out a tech to fix the problem by replacing my DVR?  Contract is up in October and if they don't fix this, I'm out of here!  Directv, listen to us, your customers.  If we have issues and others post what fixed them, don't give me the run around!  FIX IT! Clearly this is a fault of the HR34.  Send me a HR44 to fix this issue and keep me as a customer.

gort

I have a service plan and had the same problem with DTV. It took almost a year to get an HR44. Try asking for service call to fix the problem, not to bring an HR44. If you show him examples of the problem, he probably will give you an HR44. That's your only chance. Good luck.

captlarryo

During the past few days since my last post, I have had no issues with freezing or pixilation on NBC local feed.  I agree with wjturner3 that this is in fact is a network issue and not DTV.  We'll see and will update if there are other issues with the HR34.

td-max

I've been battling this intermittently and relatively consistently for quite some time now.  It only hits me on CNBC 5pm CST recording Mad Money.  MSNBC no issues.  They used to run Mad Money at 10pm so I could fall back on it, but not as of late.

So those getting HR44 I assume you lose all of your recordings?  Sure would be nice to have data backup/transfer like a phone...

cbierwirth

Yes all recordings and todo and quick tune programming is lost. I suggest if programming is done thru apps on phones or tablets that DirecTV would have a very easy way of capturing at least  the programs series you normally record. The installer said that if I had a SATA drive attached my recordings could have been preserved. Don't know if that relates to just the 44 or also the 34. May look into that in the future.

Chuck

dcd

cbierwirth wrote:

The installer said that if I had a SATA drive attached my recordings could have been preserved.

The installer could not have been more mistaken.  Recordings on a eSATA drive are encoded by the DVR that made them and when that eSATA drive is connected to another DVR, you would be able to see the titles, but the program would not play.  As previously posted, changing DVR's means losing all recorded content, no exceptions.

td-max

I don't record regular NBC only CNBC. I did have an issue with CBS primetime a couple weeks back.

I spoke with my local tech/installer and he has heard from others with the issue.  When I say pixellation I mean the video stalls and jitters as does the audio.  It looks like an old video tape that had issues with too much starting and stopping combined with digital skipping/stalling.

CNBC 5pm CST Mad Money is hit and miss.  I can typically tell in the opening minutes if it is going to play or not.

I don't want a new receiver I just want what I have to work properly.

wjturner3

The pixelation issue that everyone is referring to is not exclusive to satellite television. I had COX Communication cable and ABC constantly was pixelating in the evening, but only during the station broadcast. Not one commercial ever appeared pixelated.

I had Cox reps out at the house several times, and each one said the same thing: "You need HDMI cables for this to work". I bought HDMI cables, installed them correctly (one line between the cable box and the TV) yet the pixelation continued.  I switched to satellite (DirecTV) and the problem persists.

It's not the carrier...it's the originator of the broadcasts: the networks.

rkkingme

I'm having this problem on my local PBS station out of Tulsa and on my local NBC station.  I've read multiple posts on this and it seems that replacing the HR-34-700 with the HR-44 fixes most customers problems. My fear is that if I have my receiver replaced, they will reset my 2 yr contract and I'll be stuck with them for another 2 years.  I don't plan on sticking with DTV after my contract is up.  After reading a blog on how DTV resets your contract if you have your equipment replaced, I'm not inclined to have it replaced. I didn't have this issue with Dish as far as I can remember.