1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 1, 2013 5:28 PM by litzdog911 RSS

Recordings freeze, blocky and jumbled

mightywingsfan

For the last few weeks, all of my recordings have frequent pauses where the screen gets blocky, jumbled and freezes.  I have to then fast forward a few seconds and it will be fine for a few minutes, and then it will happen again.  I've re-authorized my receiver, I've reset it, unplugged it, plugged it back in... it still happens.  This doesn't happen when I watch live TV, this is only happening on my recordings.  It does not matter what channel it's on - every single recording does this and I end up having to fast forward through half the show.  I have the Genie HD DVR.  Is there something I can do to stop this, or do I need a new box?

• Re: Recordings freeze, blocky and jumbled
    litzdog911

Could be a hard drive problem ....

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.