27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 1:56 PM by peds48 RSS

Issues with Remote and Receiver

jdelaney

We recently installed a new receiver.  It replaced an old receiver and is installed the same way as the previous one.

The problem is we cannot get a remote to work with it.

When we first installed it, the remote worked for awhile - a few hours  - but it was sticking and you had to keep pressing the buttons multiple times.  

I spent quite a bit of time with tech support.  We changed the batteries multiple times.  We reset the receiver multiple times.  Sometimes, the remote will work a couple times after the reset but then dies again.  We tried to recode to the TV multiple times - that did not work.

The remote controller is a brand new one.  Direct TV wanted to send a new remote but we had another new remote for an additional receiver that we never installed.  We tried that one and got the exact same problem.  Tried to recode to TV, reset receiver, etc...

Having a hard time believing we could have 2 bad brand new remotes.

Any ideas on what could be wrong and how to fix????

• Re: Issues with Remote and Receiver
    dcd

One possibility is IR interference from the TV or other source such as a fluorescent light.  You can test this by setting the receiver to a particular channel (note the channel number).  Go to the TV and turn it off.  Then use the remote and press the channel up button two times.  Then turn the TV back on.  Did the channel change as instructed?  If so, with the TV on, try the channel up button again.  Did it falter?  If so the TV is likely causing IR interference.  A piece of blue painters tape over the receivers IR eye will desensitize it.  The best cure is to set the remote and receiver to RF operation if you have HD and RF remotes.

Note that it really helps if you provide the receiver model numbers and other technical info..

jdelaney
    I will try what you suggest but here is the info for the receiver.  it is an HD receiver, H21-200, ID # 029388529942.
    A little more Info - It is one of 2 receivers.  The other one works fine.  Both receivers are on a boat.  The old receiver was the same exact model number.  The boat came with 4 receivers.  We only installed 2.  Then, the one receiver broke so we replaced it with one of the receivers we were not using.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    texasbrit

Swap over the two receivers and see if the problem goes with the receiver or stays in the room...

martini831

Make sure the receiver is back into IR mode, since you do not have any RF remotes, with receiver in IR mode, test all IR codes from 00001 through 00008:

1. dtv
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
    3. enter 0 0 0 0 1, if not try code 00002, and so on
    and if no success try this.

1. repeat (step 1 above)
    2. repeat (step 2 above)
    3. enter 981. it will blink 4 times instead of 2

then go back to see if it works with code 00001

jdelaney

I have tried everything and get the same results.  Most times when I reset the receiver and use all the codes and procedures you provided, it works for awhile.  And yes, I do have an RF remote and when I do the set up, I get all the lights to blink correctly.

But once I turn off everything and come back later - sometimes a day or two, the remote no longer works.   In most cases the receiver has gone into power saving mode and I have to call Directv to get the signal sent to start up again (another really annoying attribute of this system), then reset the receiver, enter all the codes, etc etc etc and by that time the show I want to watch is over.  We use this system on our boat so I can't leave the satellite on 24/7 - that is not an option.

Can you please let me know what else I can possibly try????

Thank you,

Joan Delaney

rhovanec

you can try to turn off the power save mode. on the remote press the menu button than scroll down to setting and help press select than select setting than scroll down to the power save option and press select and select the off option.

jdelaney

Thanks for the tip.  I will try when I go back to the boat.  But this assumes I can get the remote to start working again....

I have 2 receivers on the boat - one works fine with its remote and this one doesn't. 

This just makes no sense. 

dragon83

Well there seems to be an issue with the receiver so it does make perfect sense, now what I suggest to have you do is:

try these remotes on the other receiver(IF IT IS A DIRECTV BRAND) and see if they work, if they do then the issue is the receiver and if this is the case then do a reset everything on the receiver these are the steps

menu

Settings & Help

Settings

Reset

Reset everything

Then press the dash button

Hope this works..........

mattinglyr

Sorry I cannot help, as I am having the same issue. Two remotes, both with new batteries. The remote works after a reset, then stops working. Interesting thing is that I can still control the receiver using the iPad Directv app remote feature.

A couple of months ago I was having this issue and had DirecTV swap out the receivers. Same issue. Thea receiver is an HR 22 and one of three connected through Whole Home. No issues with other two receivers. Only in this one room.

Ideas anyone? This is a pain.

peds48

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

If you think your question was resolved, please mark the question as answered. Thanks!

peds48

It should be somewhere on your thread when you log in to the site

bigboy65

If you are using the RC71 remote there are issues with the remote reverting back to IR once programmed. Just call them and have them send you the old remotes and your problems will be solved until a fix someday comes along

texasbrit

No point in changing remotes. The old remotes will not operate the HR44 in RF. The RC71 won't operate the old receivers in RF. So whatever you do,  if you have an HR44 just use the RC71 anyway. If you have an older receiver and want RF, use an older remote. If you want IR, use any of the remotes.

bigboy65

yes there is a reason to use the older remote in IR because there are problems with the new RC71 remotes in RF mode. Trust me I just went thru a month of resetting everything just to have the RC71's revert back to IR. There will be a fix for this as it was documented with the technician and network services while he was at my house. Until its fixed IR remotes work fine unless you have your stuff in a closet. I have not had a single glitch with my HR44 and clients since I switched to the white remotes....just my experience and it works....Wiz

texasbrit

Sorry, what you are saying does not make sense.

Quote:"There is a reason to use the older remote in IR mode because there are problems with the new RC71 remotes in RF mode"."

So why not use the RC71 in IR/

bigboy65

The reason for not using RC 71 in IR mode is that they lock up . I personally went thru 12 remotes the tech had on his truck setting each to RF and within an hr they reverted back to IR BUT once in IR they cant be reprogrammed without a complete reboot of the Genie and clients. On 3 separate occasions we tried to set them to IR but had no control over the clients so reverting back to the old white remotes resolved the problem completely. I dont know why but it just did. I have been up and working without a reboot of over 3 weeks now. I have no need for RF since everything I have is in plain view. I hope that explains this problem. There are still glitches in the genie that are not going to be fixed for some time to come.