47 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2014 11:22 AM by gadjett63 RSS

Programming Genie remote RC71

nanak

Have new Genie equipment and need help programming remote. Installer programmed remote to turn on/off DVR and TV and to control volume of Denon receiver. Want to program remote to turn on/off Denon receiver, and also control Sony DVD player. I can't find a manual for this remote.

• Re: Programming Genie remote RC71
    texasbrit

You can't, the DirecTV remote is not a universal programmable remote for multiple devices. Try a Harmony remote.

randycjla

I searched for hours on how to correctly program this remote to work with my TV and after messing around with it in frustration I found the correct way to program it to your TV. First, have your Genie Mini receiver connected and powered on. Next, grab your RC71 remote and simultaneously hold the "MUTE" + "ENTER" buttons until you see a box appear on your TV screen that says "Applying IR/RF Setup. Please Wait" (this appears after about 5 seconds of holding those buttons). Once complete another dialog box will appear and read, "Your remote is now setup for RF." Click "SELECT" to exit that screen. Next, click the "MENU" button, scroll down to "Settings & Help", then click on "Settings", scroll down to and click on "Remote Control", then click "Program Remote". Next you will have two options, either "Program TV" or "Program Audio Device". Click "Program TV", this takes you to a screen where you need to select what BRAND your TV is. After you have selected your TV brand you will have to select the TV Model ( I recommend looking at the sticker on the back of your TV for the accurate Model number or using your current TV remote to find the model number from the menu screen on your TV for fastest and best results). Once the correct model number is selected, AIM your RC71 remote at the TV and it will AUTOMATICALLY program!

This is the easiest, fastest and only correct way I have seen throughout the internet and support forums!

Your welcome lol

peds48
      Awesome step by step instrcutions on how to program teh RC71 to a TV, however the OP in this case was looking to program multiple devices and as texasbrit mentioned, is not possible
        gtryand

I had a similar experience as Nanak.  The installer programmed my remote to turn on my Genie, Mitsubishi TV, and Onkyo receiver.  The volume control on the Genie remote controls the volume on the receiver, but when I power off, only the TV and Genie tuner turn off.  The Onkyo receiver stays on.  If the remote can command the receiver "on", and control volume, why can't it turn off the receiver?

svetatil

My settings for RC71 (mini Genie) don't give me an option to program TV. It stops on selection of IR/RF and give me an instruction what to do. But there is no way to enter a TV model, nothing. I found a code for my TV (TCL) but where I have to enter it?

Follow up: I have found what was my mistake - an button "Enter" is not the same as "Select". I read some reviews where it was "Select". Probably it was for a different remote. "Enter" button is on the bottom of the remote, right bottom corner. It also says "Input" under it.

genexrx

Thanks, I was struggling with this on one of my sets.

genobpack1

Great Job!!

These instructions worked to the tee for my TVs. I talked to Directv tech help for more than two hours last week trying to get  three of my TVs programmed to the updated remote with no success. Directv's instructions are not up to date and their personnel are not knowledgeable on the Programming Method/s.

I also had two TV's that only partially were controlled by the prior Directv remotes and technical assistance could not resolve the issues.

I followed these procedures and had all three of my TVs programmed in 10 minutes. I'm happy, the TVs operate with the Directv remote and most of all, my wife is happy!!

Again, Great Job!!, and Thank You!

muppin

I have an RC71 remote, an HR44-200 and a Samsung UN46EH6000 TV.  The Genie was installed a week ago.  The installer programmed the remote so that it turns the TV on and off and controls volume.  I do have a roof top antenna and can change the TV input with the remote so that I can see other channels not carried by DIRECTV.  However the RC71 will not change the on-air channels.  I had used your procedure before and tried it again today and still am unable to change the on-air channels.

My previous setup was an HR22-100 with an RC64 remote and it worked fine to control this TV including changing the on-air channels.  I have contacted customer service both my email and phone with no success.  In fact the guy on the phone said his computer simulation is not up-to-date and does not cover the Hr44-200.

Any suggestions on how to control the on-air channels other than using the Samsung remote?

peds48

Since give RC71 does not have a "mode" switch" it can't change the channels on your TV. if you still have the RC64 remote, you can still use it but only on IR

muppin

I do have my RC64 but my understanding is that only the RC71 can be used to

control the HR44-200.  If this is the case then I would need to have both

the 64 and 71 remotes in use.  Since I have the original TV remote I can

just as well use it. 

The point is that the 71 is described by DIRECTV as a universal remote that

can control both the Genie and TV leading one to think that it is the only

remote needed by a user.  This is true only for those channels provided by

DIRECTV.  If they recognized the need for a mode switch in the past with the

64 why not with the 71?

Thanks anyway for your comment.

Tom Retford

litzdog911

muppin, you can use any of the older remotes with your HR44 also.  Just not in RF mode. 

Most of us agree with you the RC71 remote is inferior to the RC6x remotes.

peds48

muppin wrote:

The point is that the 71 is described by DIRECTV as a universal remote that

can control both the Genie and TV leading one to think that it is the only

remote needed by a user.  This is true only for those channels provided by

DIRECTV.  If they recognized the need for a mode switch in the past with the

64 why not with the 71?

Thanks anyway for your comment.

Tom Retford

Spot on! also keep in mind that all DirecTV remotes are free, so the provide the least features of all the universal remotes out there.  a truly "nice" experience will require one to get a "decent" universal remote.  The Logitech 650 seems to fit the bill

dobes49

Under the Program Remote category, (with RC71) why do I not get the option to program TV or audio device as your instructions state? I only get: Program TV or Done as options., Directv tech line have no clue on this remote. I wish I had my independent installer's phone number. He programmed the TV and a soundbar somehow so the TV sound was always muted and the soundbar was controlled by the remote. I am trying to replace the soundbar with a Pioneer Elite SC-55 audio receiver. 

dobes49

Eureka! I just posted asking why I can't program my Audio device and found out how by trial and error. When reaching the screen asking to program your TV or Done, select Program TV. After successfully programming the TV, only then does it ask if you want to program an audio device. After programming the audio device, it presents the option to lock the audio to either the TV or the audio device. To test it, it says to press the POWER button. If the device goes off, it should be successfully programmed. Of course there is no POWER button on the RC71, so I tried the On button first without success (I think) and then the OFF button, which turned everything off (except the TV). When I turned it back on, the volume toggle controlled the Pioneer amp, and the TV volume was off. I am still not sure about whether ON on the RC71 turns on and off all devices properly. One last question. Can the remote be in RF mode and still turn on and off the TV and audio? Must they be RF capable?   

dobes49

My remote was in RF mode and it would not turn off the audio receiver, so I changed the mode to IR. Now I can't seem to get back to the screen to program the remote to control the TV. It still turns off the Directv receiver and the TV, but still won't turn off the Pioneer amp. I guess I can get off my butt after watching TV for an evening and turn off the amp manually.

peds48

The RC71 can't turn ON or OFF any audio device.  your only hope is HDMI-CEC.  you need to go back to RF in order to program the RC71

dobes49

I don't know why you state this so emphatically. I did read that in the forum, but it is apparently false, because my Pioneer Elite SC-55 receiver responds to and is controlled by my RC71. Possibly I have it hooked up to HDMI-CEC, but how do you explain that while programming the remote, it gave me the option of controlling an audio device and then locking the audio to that device – not to the TV?

peds48

dobes49 wrote:

I don't know why you state this so emphatically.

Because I know.  That is how the RC71 works.  the remote can only turn ON and OFF your TV plus the DIRECTV® receiver.  It can also be programmed to use an audio device as a punch trough instead of the TV.  If the AVR is turning ON and OFF, id because HDMI-CEC

dobes49

Thanks, I will look at how I have the audio receiver hooked up. I know it is by an HDMI cable. How do you explain the fact that once the TV is programmed, the system asks if I want connect an audio device and then if I want to LOCK the audio to it rather than the TV? I kind of understand what you are saying, but this second question makes it sound like the remote can control an audio device – which it does. Again, I do appreciate your reply, but am skeptical of your statement on the audio.

TD

peds48

I NEVER said it wont control volume, I did say, "the RC71 can't power any audio source ON or OFF" and that is a fact.  If you AVR is turning off, remove HDMI and try again.  Post back the results...

dobes49

As I said in my last post, you are correct. It doesn’t seem to be able to turn on or off the audio receiver. When the receiver is on, it does control the volume, which is more important when watching TV. You turn the system on once per session and turn it off once, but you turn the volume up and down many times per TV watching session. I will check how I have it connected to the receiver tomorrow and report back. Thanks again for your comments.

dobes49

I don’t understand why you state that so emphatically. I did read that in the forum, but it is apparently false, because my Pioneeer Elite SC-55 receiver responds to and is controlled by my RC71. Possibly I have it hooked up to HDMI-CEC, but how do you explain that while programming the remote, it gave me the option of controlling an audio device and then locking the audio to that device – not to the TV?

peds48

post back with the model number of your remote control

peds48

if you have an RC71 remote control, this remote does  not have a "mode" switch and the OFF and On buttons are only programmed to turn of the receiver and TV.  the audio device is not mapped.  It will never happen with this remote

asonjay

I know this is an old post but just wanted to let everyone know 2 things here.

1. It is correct the RC71 remote cannot power on and off other devices besides the receiver and TV. However you can get the one of the previous remotes that had the ability to program other devices and it will work with the Genie and clients but only while in IR mode. RF is only available on these receivers with the RC71.

2. There is a short cut to program the RC71 to your TV without having to use the menu. After applying the RF settings via holding mute and enter all you have to do is simply press the volume button up or down on the remote. A message will appear saying the remote is not yet programmed to the TV and give the option for you to do so.

Hope you find this info helpful.

allen.bennett@atmail.tv

Go to Menu, Setting & Help, Settings, Remote Control, Program Remote, Program Audio Device, Select Make, and Find Model Number check code using volume up then select IT WORKED!, Remote should now be programmed, select USe Audio Device. On and Off function doesnt always work with every Audio Device.