21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2013 8:01 AM by dlleno RSS

GenieGo doesn't work

daveagain

I have a HR-34/700 and a H21/100.  GenieGo unable to access HD-DVRs on the Ipad and indicates that there are no recorded programs at this time.  All three lights are blue on the GenieGo.  The router is a 2wire 3600HRV.  I opened the ports as instructed.  I also have the Share PLaylist set to Yes and External access is set to allow System Setup:  Whole-Home.  The playlist off the HR-34 is available on the HR-21 but not on the Ipad, Android Nexus 7 or iphone.  Please help.

• Re: GenieGo doesn't work
    peds48

Are you in the same network as your DVRs?  OOH is not supported for Android yet.

az_aandb

I spoke w/technical support about the exact issue. They said they are aware of the problem, said that everyone w/a Genie Go is having the same prob right now due to something with a software issue and suggested I keep trying the app tomorrow or in a couple of days and/or go to directv.com for additional help. ***. Tech support just wanted to end the call as soon as I gave her the error code (8-54-0) I am so frustrated and tired of Directv and their non-existent support.

dcd

Az_aandb,  The problem you presented to the tech folks apparently did no involve the current iPad App for the Directv GenieGO device.  That App in fact works perfectly and helping the original poster get connected is the goal here.  Forget the Android, there is no GenieGO Android App with Out Of Home at this time.

Daveagain,  Try this.  While at home, and with the iPad connected to the same router that your GenieGO and your HD DVR are connected to, delete the App from your iPad.  Then do a power reset of the iPad.  When reset, reinstall the GenieGO App and go through the setup process, including the OOH setup.

daveagain

Thanks for your comments.  I went through the steps you suggested and I set

up OOH.  On my ipad I receive on OOH, “Congratulations! Your router is set

up for GenieGO Out of Home Access….”  However, still no recordings are

listed.  The only listing for my DVR Playlist is the listing of my

receiver, ‘“B” REC ID: 036……..etc.’ and then after a couple minutes, “No

DirecTV DVRs found.”  I went through the steps you suggested a couple times

but still the same results.  I went through the process using your

instructions on my iphone (4S) as well with the same result.  Thanks.

dcd

Is your DVR connected to the same router as the GenieGO?  Is the router firewall set to off?

daveagain

The router is not set to off but I have opened the ports necessary to allow

GenieGo to access the HDDVR per the instructions:

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3875   Here is my

router's open ports (hope this helps):

dcd

The routers firewall may be the culprit.  Set it to off as a test.  Personally I never use the router's firewall.

daveagain

I turned it off but it didn't work.  Deleted the app and reset the ipad.

Same result.   thanks.

daveagain

Either peds48 or dcd answered my question on another thread (can't remember exactly who but it was one of those individuals).  While I had the GenieGo connected directly to the router through an electrical extension it wouldn't work.  Realizing that the GenieGo is mobile (it doesn't have to be hooked up to the DVR nor does it have to be close to the DVR) I connected it directly to an ethernet connection on the back of the router and it has been working great since then.  Thanks.

dcd

If you were using a Powerline Adapter to connect the GenieGO to your router it's no wonder it wasn't working properly.  Has you posted that info at the beginning of this thread that would be the first thing we'd suggest you remove.  In any event, glad you're up and running.

peds48

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

dlleno

just confirming the solution here from my experience.  in particular I would avoid anything like an "electrical extension"  -- GenieGo needs to be plugged into the same side of the same router as your home wireless network, with a CAT5 ethernet cable.  Ideally the WH network itself (via hardwared BBDEC) will plug into an adjacent port on that same router.  GenieGo is not associated with a DRV it is associated with a network.    Just another tip from my experience:  set up your router for "DHCP address reservation"  this forces the DHCP system in the router to reserve the same IP address for GenieGo (and all receivers too), so that when one goes down it will come back to live on the network with the same address. 

jam322k9r

I have a question maby someone could help?

My wife unplugged my dvr, and now my geniego device will not work. the dvr works fine, its the geniego that will not work. the geniego device is showing one amber light and one blue light. I have talked with direct tv tech support, and was still unable to solve the problem. I have a netgear router

peds48

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Press the DASH button on your DirecTV remote, does the pop up message indicates "Internet: Connected"?

peds48

do a 30 second reset on your GenieGo by pressing the red reset button

jam322k9r

I have reset both the dvr, and the geniego device, still will not work

dlleno

It would be important to know which light on the GenieGo is stil amber/yellow.  Also - tell us how your system is configured.  In paticular how does your DVR coaxial network connect to Ethernet?  BTW  If you have both a DSL/Cable router and a wireless router its good to keep things simple and disable DHCP on the wireless router - make it just an access point and allow the DSL/Cable router to be the only DHCP server. 

Also, -- set up DHCP address reservation in your router.  that way, when devices boot up, the DHCP server will dish out the same IP address every time.

Another tip: set the web administration IP address of your router and access point  to addresses OUTSIDE of the DHCP range. 

I've had to reset my GenieGo system, after disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the DVR side of the network.  The process I follow if there is a problem:

1. reboot router

2. reboot access point (if different from router)

3.  verify  each receivers' internet  connection.  Go into settings, run the network setup and prove that each receiver has a valid IP address within the DHCP range you set up on your router.  You want to see the affirming message "your receiver is connected to the internet".  I have a hardwired DECA connection from the DIrecTV switch to an Ethernet port on my router.  IF you have a wireless connection from your receivers it should be rebooted as well.

4.  log into your router admin page (the device with the DHCP server) and verify that the receiver(s) are in there, and that no IP address  conflicts are present.  If you set IP address reservation, everything should come up with the same IP address every time.

5.  when you are  confident that all receivers are happy on the network, and the network is happy ( you've proven internet connectivity with a PC as well) , then reboot GenieGo last.   AT this point you should get all blue lights.  If not, go into the router admin page and see if GenieGo has a valid IP address.  If you don't get all blue lights, find out which one is yellow.