33 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 6:28 PM by panonut RSS

Pixelation on local HD channels on HR34-700

lindaramar

I've posted a couple of times, starting on June 6, the first day I called DirecTV about this.  I can't find the history of the discussion, and I'm not sure I ever really did post a new question, though I've seen several posts that seem similar to me.  This time I'm posting all my signals.

My location is rural Shelton, WA, about 50 miles south of Seattle on the Olympic Peninsula.

The problem is that on local Seattle channel 5 (NBC) I get pixelation to the extent that I cannot watch the program.  So far this seems to be confined to NBC news programs, though I've seen it also on ION HD.

I never had the problem with the older HD DVRs I've had for years.

Here is my information.  By the way, DirecTV is sending me a new HR34, though they don't think that's the problem.  If it doesn't fix it, I want my old DVR back.

=============================================

Genie HD DVR    

ID: 036088552926

Model: HR34-700

Access Card: 003048813145

Serial #: G28CA3BQ203843

=============================================

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

1-8   92 95 91 0 92 97 91 97

9-16  91 95 92 0 94 98 91 97

17-24 89 100 91 0 95 97 95 97

25-32 95 0 91 100 95 97 93 98

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c))

1-8   90 90 83 88 88 84 81

9-16  86 87 83 81 91 89 na na

17-24 na na na na na na na

25-32 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º (ca))

1-8 na na na na na na na na

9-16 92 94 89 88 90 92 87 89

17-24 90 92 90 89 89 91 91 91

25-32 na na na na na na na na

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º (cb))

1-8 95 95 92 91 92 92 90 88

9-16 91 92 89 91 91 na na

17-24 na na na na na na na na

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

1-8 98 98 98 98 98 98 95 95

9-16 95 na na na na na na na

17-24 na na na na na na na na

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

1-8   89 89 83 82 86 86 83 81

9-16  85 87 83 81 91 89 NA NA

17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

25-32 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

17-24 NA NA NA NA NA X X X

25-32X X X X X X X X

• Re: Pixelation on local HD channels on HR34-700
    peds48

It appears that this is a station related issue, we have forwarded this issue to our DirecTV contacts and we are waiting for a response

geochapman

I Have been having the same problem on Channel 7 NBC in Cedar Rapids IA. It did not happen on DISH before we moved. I do not blame NBC. I think its Direct's fault. I'm thinking I made a mistake switching when we moved. We also had the problem with the small units not finding the signal. The solution was to not use the HDMI cable but use component instead. This outfit doesn't have its act together. Sorry I switched

ssaylor

Service was out last week and replaced my HR34 with a HR44 and I have not seen ANY pixelation/freeze issues with the recordings on NBC or any other channel. On the other hand, I did pick up a 1 sec. blackout (with sound continuing normally) on CBS today which is a separate issue.

So, folks, here's another nail in the HR34's coffin. It takes an act of congress (in short supply these days) to get DTV to install a HR34 but open a case, keep on them and they'll do it.

snoking

I got a call from David in DirecTV President's office about my complaints about this same issue with NBC in Seattle. David agreed to replace my HR34-700 with a HR44. He then called back and said that the service people rejected his order as the software was the same in the two boxes. I moved WHDVR off the SWM system to my Ethernet network and installed a band stop filter BSFR01 on the HR34-700 coax connection. So far I have not seen the issue again, however I give little hope that this is truly the solution. Time will tell. I told David that if the HR44 has a faster processor maybe that fixes the problem.

BTW, I talk to the engineering department at King5TV and they said it was NOT their problem.

Chris

stpilot

I am having terrible issues with pixelation on my NBC channel. Very frustrating. A large portion of the NBC shows I record are unplayable. I am paying big money for DirecTV every month and I can't watch my shows. I am using the HR-34 receiver and want to throw it away. I just tried to call tech support and got a message that the systems are undergoing maintenance and I should call back in a few hours. argh! Can someone help?

litzdog911

Sorry, not really, stpilot.  We're all customers like you.   As described in this thread, the problem is caused by some sort of interaction with some HR34s and a few NBC channels around the country.   Supposedly DirecTV is aware of the issue and working on a fix with the affected stations, but it's taking a long time.  The only near term fix is to convince DirecTV to replace your HR34 with an HR44.  Good luck.

snoking

Repair might be a long time coming when DirecTV will not acknowledge the problem. I got a call back from a rep in the President's office. He agreed to replace my HR34 with a HR44! When he placed the order, it was rejected stating that the software was the same between the two boxes, and that the swap of boxes would not fix this non-existing issue. I talked to the engineering department at King5TV in Seattle and he said it was not their issue.

Denial Denial Denial on DirecTV's part!

Chris

stpilot

I have called DTV four times to explain problem, each time they are very polite and indicated they are responding to the problem. Each time nothing comes of it. The last two times, they indicated they would send out an HR44 but I recieved instead, another HR34 which I sent back. I called again, they apologized and assured me an HR44 would be sent out. After waiting a week, I called to check on status and they indicated they couldnt send it out with out further analysis. Again they walked me through a system check and again they found nothing wrong except I still cant properly record NBC shows. Finally after four phone calls and easily two hours of frustration, they are sending out a tech to investigate. He is supposed to have an HR44 in hand in case they cant solve it. VERY FRUSTRATED WITH DIERCTV

panonut

I  have new genie also and reported same pixelation issues. Last week dtv replaced my 34-700 with another 34-700 but that did not fix problem. Today, massive, intermittent screen freezes and pixelation on CBS local channel 5 Mobile--recorded NFL game. Commercials were not affected.

However, the following NFL game on Sunday Ticket channel 709 transponder 6, also CBS, was fine.

Tech guy is supposed to come put tomorrow.

texasbrit

As posted, this is a known problem with the HR34 and certain NBC locals.  Until DirecTV produces a software fix, there is NO SOLUTION other than replacing the HR34 with an HR44.  Unless the tech guy does this, he is wasting his (and your) time....

panonut

Tech came and fixed me wp up with an HR 44. Now to see if that fixes it.

Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 19:10:41 -0800

To: frankharwood@hotmail.com

Subject: Re:  - Pixelation on local HD channels on HR34-700

DIRECTV Technical Forums

Pixelation on local HD channels on HR34-700

reply from texasbrit in DIRECTV Receiver Technical Support & Troubleshooting - View the full discussion

As posted, this is a known problem with the HR34 and certain NBC locals.  Until DirecTV produces a software fix, there is NO SOLUTION other than replacing the HR34 with an HR44.  Unless the tech guy does this, he is wasting his (and your) time....

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on DIRECTV Technical Forums

Start a new discussion in DIRECTV Receiver Technical Support & Troubleshooting by email or at DIRECTV Technical Forums

Following Pixelation on local HD channels on HR34-700 in these streams:

Inbox