7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2013 1:03 PM by gracekoh RSS

HD DVR didn't record Elementary

gracekoh

Hello,

I am extremely frustrated. I've had my DVR set to record the same shows for awhile and sometimes it just arbitrarily fails for no reason. Thursdays are usually the night that it does this b/c I have so many shows set, but I even double checked EVERYTHING last night. I never had more than 2 shows set to record at one time, and I even have all the limits (start/end) adjusted accordingly so the overlap in shows on different channels doesn't cause the recording not to start.

Last night Elementary didn't record and I checked 5 TIMES earlier in the evening that it was set to record. There is one other show that records at the same time, but that should be fine since it allows 2 at one time. I even tested it by trying to set something else to record - a 3rd show - and it said no b/c the other 2 shows were going to record.

Sure enough I wake up this morning and only the 1 show at the same time recorded and Elementary is not there. So I have to deal with watching the ****** stream online on my computer instead of on my nice TV.

Why does this keep happening? I just checked "Manage Recordings" and the to-do list AGAIN and everything looks good for next week...but it also did last night before the shows.

• Re: HD DVR didn't record Elementary
    peds48
    What does it says under the history?

Some network loves to extend their shows by a minute after the hour screwing shows at the same or later time slots.  There is no settings for this (although you mistakenly mention there is, you can start the show earlier or stop it later, not the other way around) short of a manual recoding 

gracekoh

I'll double check the history and report back what it says when I get back to the receiver in a bit.

Let me clarify, in the settings, I adjust everything to start and stop "ON TIME" instead of any early or late start/stop so that there is no overlapping of shows on different networks.

peds48
        ON TIME just means that is following the guida data
        gracekoh

Wow - very interesting, but I still don't understand.

I just checked the History and it said the recording was cancelled b/c of a higher priority task. Their are 2 VERY strange things about this:

1) There are only 3 higher priority shows than Elementary (which failed to record)...2 of which are for shows that I don't even have the channels anymore (Newsroom & Ray Donovan - and I cancelled both HBO and Showtime over a month ago). And the 3rd that has higher priority only airs and records on Monday (set to record first run only)...and even triple checked again to make sure it didn't accidentally record a repeat instead and that show did not record that last night.

2) The show the DID record in the same time slot as Elementary (which is supposed to record as the 2nd allotted recording for that time slot) has an even lower priority than Elementary. So it doesn't make sense that of the 2 that did record, it was the one with the lower priority.

And also, we weren't watching the HD DVR receiver at all that does the recording at the time of these shows...so it couldn't have been that it was tuned to the wrong channel. I'm just baffled and completely frustrated with this! At least it was a show that I was able to sit through and watch online since I caught it soon enough.

Too bad I'm still locked in a contract with DirecTV. I'm definitely ready to switch to a service that allows me to record more than two shows at a time!!

peds48

**Click the "Helpful Answer" star on the left to say 'Thanks'**

***Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Correct' if it solves your problem.