44 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2013 5:56 PM by litzdog911 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

New TV Apps Problems

1sato

Is anyone else having problems working with the new TV Apps feature?  I can no longer add any new apps.  Anyone know how this is done?

• Re: New TV Apps Problems
    peds48

there were some issues yesterday reported by my DirecTV contacts.  not sure if they are resolved.

hotrod351

same problem here. this happens a lot. some moron decides to keep his, or hers, job they need to come up with something new, better. hey why have the weather app show the temps and days going left to right when you can show them going from top to bottom, thats way better. a lot of these changes are no better, and even worse, than the original app. i call it leaving well enough alone.

pigman.

Same problem here.

Called today about this problem and the first tech support person I tried to speak with sounded like she was located in Jamaica or somewhere in that general location. I hung up, after asking what did you say way too many times.

2nd try was better as I actually got to speak with someone in the USA that speaks my language. But after a lengthy call I was told that I was the first person to report this problem and I should, Guess what? Reboot the box.

So I reboot the box and will have to wait a couple of days for the guide to repopulate itself, with no help at all.

I have from top to bottom the following apps, TVAPPS, Scoreguide, Weather, Social TV and What’s Hot. Maybe they should have an app that says What’s Not.

What used to be on the top was the apps store which is now replaced with TVAPPS and it cannot be clicked on and I cannot make any changes to what apps I want and don’t want. When I go to settings Extra and click on TV Apps is no help at all.

DirecTV software gurus, please roll back what you call a software upgrade and don’t release it until it works.

peds48

Dont see what is the problem here.  the "app store" is gone with the update.  what you see is what you get

pigman.

The problem is that an update is supposed to make things better.

Tech support should hava a clue about changes to the product.

gr8ful2u2

There are three "problems" here:

1) The DVR Help feature still says to access the apps store, which no longer exists.

2) Tech support should be aware of the removal of this feature to communicate to customers.

3) The reduction/removal of the TV apps feature was poorly advertised, causing messages like the one at the start of this thread.

This thread is a valid problem. An existing feature stopped working. This forum is doing it's job by allowing users to discover the feature was quietly pulled.

You could be a little kinder with your verbiage.

peds48

So there is no problem here..Just what I though. I was confused by your post

pigman.

I am confused by your reply as it makes no sense at all.

What are you smoking?

The problem here is that you are making stupid comments about something that you have no idea what it is about.

I totally agree with hotrod351, the weather was much better left to right.

Top to bottom as it is now sux and the font size is too small to read.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

gr8ful2u2

Again, a little kindness would be helpful.

I came here wondering the same thing, and the noise to signal ratio was very high. This is a waste of time for me and all other users.

You contribute a ton of useful information, and we are all thankful for that.

Clearly all that needed to be stated was the new firmware provides a fixed set of apps, and no customization or app store is available.

See how easy that is?

hotrod351

just what I though. what does that mean. if you dont see any problems with the fact that you cant change the app layout than why are you in this discussion. i dont care about whats hot, social tv or the score guide.  im sure they will figure it out so everyone can access the tv apps. some people just cant leave well enough alone.

dcd

The TV Apps feature is working perfectly on my HR34 and I was just able to add another App.  Are you folks still having problems?

1sato

Problem remains with my HR44/C41's, and is as described by Pigman above in his 7/21 post.  Last software upgrade was 7/17 (0x725).  Perhaps the problem is specific to the HR44's. 

dcd

That may well be.  I don't have a HR44 to test, perhaps Peds48 or one of the other TKG's has one and can comment?

hotrod351

i have the genie, which ever model that is, and i dont really care which model they call it, but still messed up. facebook the one id like the most not to see. big brother watching. seems like everywhere you go now you need facebook.

pigman.

I have 2, C31 client boxes with 0x717 software.

Also have an HR34 box with 0x725 software.

All 3 have the new apps that can't be changed and the HR34 has an additional app the client boxes don't have.

Fantasy Football, which I would delete if I had that option.

nittanyguy

Last night there was a firmware "upgrade" to my DVR. I know this 'cause I couldn't sleep and it was in progress when I turned the TV/DVR on. Today I have the "new" unwanted TV APPs selection without the ability to put back what I had previously selected.

When I called DirTV service I got a guy from Mississippi that works for DirTV but doesn't use it himself. It took me forever to convince him that there was a problem. I took him through "Menu",  "Help", "Extras.." , "TV APPS" to show him what and where the TV APP selection feature was and that it was no longer working on my system.  

This is ridicules and like  Microsoft deciding to "upgrade" my computer back to their old XP system.       

peds48

nittanyguy wrote:

It took me forever to convince him that there was a problem.

There is not problem.  your DVR is working as it should.  you might not like it, but is working

nittanyguy

Well unless you have changed it I am supposed to  be able to chose what apps I want on my screen. There is no way in **** the ones on my screen would have any interest to me excepting weather and maybe scores. In other words:
             1... Menu

2...Settings @ Help

3... Extras & Special Effects

4... TV APPA (second from bottom of list) and I quote, if my memory doesn't fail me, "Select DIRECTV app store at the top of the TV APPS Block and CHOOSE (my emphasis) the apps you want."

So please tell me HOW it could possible be working?

and I quote, if my memory doesn't fail me, "Select DIRECTV APP Store at the top of the TV APPS block and           

peds48

it is working because it changed.  the old apps are GONE! change sometimes is hard.  but we all get used to

nittanyguy

Peds48…

I have close relatives working for GOOGLE and Facebook. When they change something it is always for the better. GOOGLE is losing IGOOGLE this November but they have given us all adequate notice. They claim usage is down. They have dropped other things but they offer alternatives.

If you have ever read any of the RachelbytheBay.com posts… I’m her dad. I’m was also the lone data base guru supporting the Boeing and Lockheed Martin IBM data bases on the NASA shuttle contract. So, hey, I know a bit about computers. This was a bad DIRECTV business decision that will make some of us consider jumping ship. When I’m paying $150 a month I expect to keep what I like. I know my start time at DirTV says 2005 but actually that is this ‘BAMA house. I’ve been a customer since the mid ‘90s in Colorado Spring and in San Antonio until 2007.

Ask Netflix what happened when they “changed”. I no long use them. There were alternatives out there.

So I REALLY used the APPS I had. If this is going to stay this way then you will probably lose a customer that had DirTV before it was “DIRECTV”. Dish ***** but it will do if I’m ****** off enough. And, based on the way DIRECTV has handled this I’m ******.       

Dave Kroll   Penn State Proud

210-827-1382    (-Cell- usually "off" these days)

256-325-6952    (-Home-)

photo

mcc_nordic

Nice Story. I don't think anyone from DirecTV reads these forums. Though that might change with the upgrade. Best to call them. This is a user to user technical forum. Also I personally wouldn't put my phone numbers or personal information on a public website like this.

osgoodrob@aol.com

Yes, but when change is made, 99% of the time it's to improve, add things, and upgrade. Since when does technology downgrade when making a change? Going from a bunch of apps in the app store to removing it and leaving only 4 options, the weather being the only useful one. What happened to being able to follow my favorite sports team or all the other apps I followed? If Directv is going to make such ridiculous changes, I'm going to make a change to another satellite provider. I've been with them for 15 years and if they don't fix this i'm leaving in a month. This is based on principal. Directv trying to say change happens isn't a good enough response. I want to know the reasoning for the downgraded apps. I want to know why they don't listen to subscribers and at the very least put it back to the way it was if they are not going to add newer and better stuff. Besides the weather, the other 4 apps are useless to me and most it appears. It seems people are upset with the downgrade and Directv doesn't give a ****. I'm fed up.

peds48

First realize tat I am not DirecTV employee, just a customer like you trying to help folks.  Change is difficult and DirecTV knows they might loose a few subscribers over this, but the gain far surpasses this loss.  Funny you mentioned Google, I have been using their RSS reader since its inception, but after it closed its doors, I survived with the alternatives.  Perhaps you can use your smartphone to get the same benefits or perhaps you will find that switching providers will make you feel better.  Once again, sometimes change is hard, but the majority of folks will get over the change and use what is available

fragile

Personally I have my tablet sitting near me when I watch tv and I find it to be much better at providing information than any of those tv apps. I think they were kinda cool for a while but technology has moved on.

johnmlink

Yeah.  But you are a pollianna for DirecTV.  There were new apps promised years ago when they rolled out the old apps and they did not meet expectation by any means. Personally, I have little faith that they will be responsive (they don't view any support forums) and restore at least the minimal functionality they had in the past.  It was always slow loading and accessing data.  The loading is a function of the machine and the new one isn't any better.  WRT access data that may partially be because of my internet.  Regardless, they appear to have tried to shove too much into the ScoreGuide, but not all that they could have crammed into it (only a part effort).  Plus, why the heck do I want Social media, fantasy football and what's hot?

peds48

You might not like social media, others will

johnmlink

Interesting, you only defend social media, the pariah of the internet.  DirecTV only added it to use it for advertizing.  Not having any social media account (proud choice) and seeing the existing data entry methods (e.g., searches) it cannot be a very satisfying experience.  There has to be far better methods of access that do not block the screen while watching a show.  The old Apps worked okay, not great.  There are far better things that should have been resolved than to improve a minor feature with the potential for future growth.  Bigger hard drives, faster processors, better speed of transfer between receivers, better antenna tuning features, etc.

peds48

I dont defend social media as this forum is as social as I get..  lol.  but I do realize that the majority of folks are not like me....

dcd

My goodness, I'd bet the average Directv customer never calls up the TV Apps screen.  I had no idea all these folks would go ballistic over a software change.  Personally, I'd as soon they deleted Apps from the DVR's.

bryan760

TV Apps are gone for good. DirecTV no longer supports 3rd party apps.

patriciap

I Am having a problem also with new app.   I can't get back my 3 receivers that were there and now I can't record anything.

roostertlc

Yes the old apps were much better.  They do not do a very good job with all their profits !!!  They should also have a package where you ONLY PAY for the STATIONS YOU WATCH !!!  like $.50/station/month.