4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2013 1:13 PM by litzdog911 RSS

HR44 picture freezes

flashg39

HR44 picture freezes durning playback.  It freezes after about 10 minutes of playback.  Sometimes it will restart but about half the time the dvr reboots. Problem started about two weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse. Tech support has been of no lhelp

• Re: HR44 picture freezes
    carl6

Symptom of a hard drive that is dying. Most likely the unit will have to be replaced. Continue to call customer service when it happens, and explain it is so frequent you consider it unacceptable.

litzdog911

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

flashg39

I ran all of these tests yesterday except the surface test.

Last night it was really bad.  Would only run about 10 minutes and freeze.

It rebooted 4 times while watching 3 shows.

Before I went to bed I started the surface test.  It seems a lot better this morning.

I ran through two and half programs without stopping.

Thanks

Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:26 AM

To: gordon merritt

Subject: Re:  - HR44 picture freezes

DIRECTV Technical Forums 

HR44 picture freezes

reply from litzdog911 in High Definition Digital Video Recording (HD DVRs) - View the full discussion