Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:
* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test
You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.
The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.
I ran all of these tests yesterday except the surface test.
Last night it was really bad. Would only run about 10 minutes and freeze.
It rebooted 4 times while watching 3 shows.
Before I went to bed I started the surface test. It seems a lot better this morning.
I ran through two and half programs without stopping.
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:26 AM
To: gordon merritt
Subject: Re: - HR44 picture freezes
DIRECTV Technical Forums
HR44 picture freezes
reply from litzdog911 in High Definition Digital Video Recording (HD DVRs) - View the full discussion