3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2013 12:06 PM by litzdog911 RSS

How do I cool HD-DVRs that have a tendency to overheat?

sat6941

I have two HD-DVRs (model # HR 22-100).  They are located in a closet with adjustable shelves that was designed as an AV cabinet.  It contains several other AV equipment items.   The cabinet is ventilated and has exhaust fans for cooling.  However, I've noticed that the temperature in the shelves containing the DVRs often reaches in excess of 90 degrees and I've received on-screen warnings that they may shut down because "the vents are blocked."  Does Directv have recommendations for individual cooling components with fans that can be placed on each HD receiver to keep them cool and that can be plugged in to adjacent electrical outlets?  Also, what is the maximum temperature HD-DVRs can experience without sustaining damage or shutting down?

• Re: How do I cool HD-DVRs that have a tendency to overheat?
    litzdog911

I have an HR34 Genie DVR installed in an enclosed cabinet.  It's cooled using a USB-powered laptop cooling fan.  The cooling fan is flat and sits under the HR34 to help draw more air through it.  You might try something like that.  You can even use your HR22's USB port to power the cooling fan.

• Re: How do I cool HD-DVRs that have a tendency to overheat?
      sat6941

Hi:

Thanks for the advice!  I checked under "Info" and "Settings" and found that the internal temperature of both HR22-100 HD-DVRs was 118 degrees fahrenheit.  Is this the recommended temperature or the actual temperature of the receivers and, if actual, is it ok?   Would using the power save feature on the DVRs help with cooling issues?    It's currently set to off.   Thanks for the advice about the laptop  cooling pad.  I'll look into this.

Errol