9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2013 8:16 PM by mtnew RSS

GenieGo with ASUS RT-N56U Router - Out of Home Access

jlilsiak

All.

I received my GeneGo and it seems to have potential, even though software needs some work. I had no problems connecting it to my three receivers and started to download shows to my PCs and iPads within the house. The problem I still have is accessing it from outside the home. I have a ASUS RT-N56U Router (latest build 3.0.0.4.374_239) which I manual setup for port 8084 and 8085 for forwarding. That is connect to a business class cable modem from Comcast. I know port forwarding is properly configured as my port 5001 is forwarded for my Slingbox and works perfectly outside the home. I have read all your articles, traced the line to directv.com and it is a single router view. Not sure the next step. I think that there is probably at this point a problem with the firmware in the GenieGo at this version with the router. I notice this unit that it uses ports 8084 & 8085, and all your examples state 8082 & 8083. How does the GenieGo detect which port it wants? 

Support, any thoughts?

Jim

• Re: GenieGo with ASUS RT-N56U Router - Out of Home Access
    herbst

Same problem with ASUS RT-N66U.

Slingbox functioning.

Ports 8082 and 8083 have been manually forwarded.

peds48

forward ports 8081-8089

• Re: Re: GenieGo with ASUS RT-N56U Router - Out of Home Access
        herbst

I have forwarded ports 8081 to 8089 with no success.

herbst

More info.

I have tried GenieGo on

1. IPOD touch 5g

2. Windows surface pro running full version windows 8 (wifi connection)

3. Gateway PC running up to date windows 7 (wired connection)

In home function is perfect.

I have multiple applications working that connect when I am out my local network: Slingbox, ecobee thermostat, pentair pool controller, and others.

No issues with any of them.

I have tried disabling windows firewall, and webroot security- no effect from that.

I have Omnicity (now Broadband Networks) service, WAN access has no blocks/security/firewall that I or the company is aware of.

I have also tried reassigning genie go to ports 8084 and 8085.

Any other thoughts?

jac67

I have the same problem with my Asus RT-N66U. I have port forwarded 8082 and 8083. I know port forwarding is working with other devices and I have the latest firmware for the router. Every time I test out of home access, it says it is not set up. GenieGo works perfectly within my home.

Update- After searching around I found a post stating that you also have to port forward within your modem settings. I have a Motorola DSL modem that I accessed and forwarded 8082 and 8083. The Out of Home Access then was able to pass the test. FYI I have an ATT Microcell that required port forwarding but this step was not requires for it to work.

mtnew

Same issue as above though I have the ASUS RT-AC66U router.  If I manually setup port forwarding according to the instructions when I go into GenieGo it says out of home access isn't set up.  If I let GenieGo set up port forwarding it fails.  Has anyone figured this out or have any info to help?  jac67 you say to port forward in the modem settings too but how do you do this?  My modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB6121 and I don't see any options for port forwarding within the modem settings.  This is frustrating the GenieGo works fine with in home access but I purchased it for out of home access.

jac67

I was able to access my modem settings and port forward to the Asus IP.  I then set up port forwarding within the Asus for the GenieGo.  When looking at screen shots for Motorola Routers on directv.com/geniego/routersupport, I was able to find a similar software interface for my modem. I followed the instructions and was able to access the GenieGo out of my home.

mtnew

I worked on this some today and got my ASUS RT-AC66U to pass the out of home access test.  jac67 had me on the right track although unlike his situation there were no port forwarding options in my modem.  In my setup I have a voip service (Ooma) in between my modem and router that was creating a firewall, I logged into that and setup port forwarding in that where I pointed to the same ports that the GenieGo wanted and my router's WAN IP address.  So basically to get it to work you have to set up your router according to instructions and if it doesn't work see if there are any other devices besides the router (modem or voip devices) upstream from your router that has port forwarding options and configure those as well.