24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2014 7:34 AM by hammbone RSS

Samsung tvs with RVU

hammbone

I have an HR44.  I've read there are Samsung TV's with RVU and that they can be connected wirelessly to the Genie.  Basic question: is this true?   If so, anything else I need to know?  Like do I need any other equipment?  I assume I need to active something thru DirecTV?  THe article I read indicated the model numbers (actually "series" numbers) of the TVs that have this RVU.  Do I need to know anything more about the # of the unit...ie: will all model 6300 TVs work?

I have mixed responses from DirecTV techs.  Sales people at BestBuy tell me ANY smart TV will do???

Help please.

Thanks,

Ed

• Re: Samsung tvs with RVU
    peds48

the majority al RVU TVs do not support wireless RVU, it must be wired. you need to add an RVU "license" with DirecTV which adds a $6.00 additional TV fee to your account.  only the RVU TVs on this link are supported

http://www.rvualliance.org/products

hammbone

Thanks...more complete list than I had.  Includes a few cheaper models.  As a severely tech challenged person, do I need to care about the RVU software used?  I'm looking for the smallest TV possible to make it as portable as possible.  Does it matter that my internet service *****?  (BestBuy guy was telling me it wouldn't work without really good internet service.)   I'm in a pretty remote area (thus on DirecTV)  and on a subscription wireless system.  And just to be certain, if I get one of the tvs on the list, it will work wirelessly with the Genie?

peds48

So far, IIRC there is only one SONY that allows wireless, the rest must be hardwired.  You dont need internet for RVU to work, however, having an RVU TV means that you must rely on a 3rd party to provide updates to your RVU TV and they do come from the internet, most of the times you must do a first time update and if you dont have a reliable internet, then the system amy not work.  in your situation, you will be better by getting an RVU client from DirecTV, their updates comes from the satellite which means that you will have an updated client all the time

hammbone

Once again thanks.  I probably over state how bad our internet service is.  We can surf the internet ok, and things like Pandora work fine.  Video is more problematic...short clips are quite slow but we get them.  Movies are impossible.  Anyway, I really appreciate your help with this.

Ed

hammbone

Hope I'm not being dense here, but, every source of info seems to be conflicted by lack of knowledge on these RVU tvs and how they interact with a genie 44.  I've read the DirecTV page on this, but to be honest, since I've been told by DirecTV people that there are NO TV's THAT CONNECT without a box of some sort I am reluctant to take their info too seriously.. So (hopefully) my last question, does the RVU tv need to be hard wired into my home network at any point in time or can all functions be done via WiFi?

shannon01

RVU TVs have "the box" built in and only need an Ethernet cable connected to the same network as the HR44 or a coax with a DECA to split the Ethernet off to feed the RVU.

When the new C-41w mini client starts shipping there maybe wireless RVUs soon

hammbone

So in reality, the tv still has to have some sort of cable...whether from the satelite receiver or the home network system at this time.  No such thing as wireless?  Anyway to fake out the tv?  I'm really looking to be able to move this TV between 3 locations without having to run more cables all over.  If you can't tell, I am really tech challenged, so keep any answers simple please.

dcd

If you would read my earlier reply and scope out the link I provided, you'd know that soon there will be the C41W wireless client that will communicate with the Genie via a Wi-Fi transmitter located at the Genie and will require only 110 AC for TV power.  No other cables required.

cancerkiller

At this point there really is no way to move your TV without having to have cables run (internet or DirecTV).  Direct TV is working on a wireless box like AT&T advertises, but it is not out yet.  For right now, DirecTV requires either a Genie Client hooked to the TV or a cable run to the TV if it has RVU built in. 

If using the RVU capable TV it requires a cable connection to the DirecTV network AND an internet connection - either wireless or through an ethernet cable.  The only wireless option at the moment is for the internet connection required for the RVU updates in the TV.

hammbone

"The only wireless option at the moment is for the internet connection required for the RVU updates in the TV."

I'm not following this last statement.  Please explain more fully.

cancerkiller

Sorry.  Most RAU capable TVs have wireless capability built in.  Thus you do not need an ethernet cable to connect it to your home network.  That is the only wireless option with DirecTV at the moment. 

For the DirecTV service there is no way to be wireless.  You must have a cable connected to the TV whether a Genie client is used or the internal RVU is used.

Hope that helps.  Sorry for creating any confusion.

hammbone

Thanks...I think I  understand now.

cancerkiller

Hopefully more people will reply to help you and can clear up any residual confusion.

I am looking into using an RVU TV as well, but it will be stationary so I don't have the same concerns as you do.

hammbone

well now I feel pretty stupid, but am a really happy camper...but further confirmed that DirecTV people don't know what they are doing.  After several calls and emails to them, and not once a suggestion that this was even an option, as I surfed through my account options with them I see I live in an area where they are trying out the new "wireless mini".  Just ordered one.

cancerkiller

Awesome.  Let us know how it works for you.

hammbone
                                hammbone

For anyone that is interested.  I have had the DiercTV wireless mini installed and love it!  Persistence paid off...in continuing to search for solutions to my need to fire a wireless connection I finally stumbled on the fact that DirecTV was indeed starting a wireless solution, though at that time at least, only in select markets which I fell into.  I'm a happy boy now.

Thanks to all of you that provided input and suggestions.

Ted

dcd

hammbone wrote:

For anyone that is interested.  I have had the DiercTV wireless mini installed and love it!  Persistence paid off...in continuing to search for solutions to my need to fire a wireless connection I finally stumbled on the fact that DirecTV was indeed starting a wireless solution, though at that time at least, only in select markets which I fell into.  I'm a happy boy now.

Thanks to all of you that provided input and suggestions.

Ted

If you'll note my post of December 14th I informed you of the wireless Client.  Glad you were able to get one installed.

peds48

IIRC, there is a Sony TV that does RVU wirelessly.  but the majority of RVU TVs must be hard wired.

the smart features of these RVU TVs can used using a wireless connection