22 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2013 7:30 PM by duff735 RSS

Weird 771 Error

duff735

We just finished our basement and an electrician installed a new jack down there and connected to the green label splitter. I moved a Genie client from another room in the house down there and hooked it up to my new TV. Watching DVR recordings works fine, but when you attempt to watch live TV, you get about one minute of crystal clear HD picture,  then the screen goes black and you get a 771 error. HERE'S THE WEIRD PART: Every other TV that is on in the house also goes black and gets a 771 error. I turn off the basement box, the rest of the house goes back to normal. I tried switching it with another box. Same thing. We never have more than 2-3 TVs on at a time so it should not be an issue of having too many clients on at once. I'm dumbfounded and desperate.

• Re: Weird 771 Error
    dcd

Do a red button (inside card door) reset of the main Genie.  While it's booting up, go to three of the Mini Clients and do a red button reset on those.  (button on right side)  That will give your network a fresh look at each component.

duff735

Of course, that was the very first thing I did.

I called DirecTV. They said because I've never had service in that room before I have to pay a $50 client relocation fee and have an installer come out. I said that was ridiculous, I had the jack installed by a professional electrician. She said because there's never been service before in that room that the jack is not cable ready. BS. Seriously? I have to pay $50 to move a client from one room to another? If that is true it is ridiculous, it is a form of extortion, and I'll cancel my service over it on principle.

dcd

"Of course, that was the very first thing I did."

You simultaneously reset all of the receivers, minis and Genie?  As to the service charge for the new outlet.  No one here represents Directv so we cannot change or alter their decisions regarding charges.  It would seem to me that calling out one contractor (Directv) to inspect and possibly correct another's (Electrician) work would trigger some sort of charge.

duff735

I'm done messing with it and called for service. They are coming out 12/24.

I pondered the idea of doing a full system reset. Not the red button,mind you, but the full return every box to factory settings, erase recordings, everything. Would that be extreme at this point and only lead to more problems?

duff735

DTV came out today. Everything inside tested fine. They went out and found my LNB should have been upgraded when I upgraded to Genie but was not. They put a new one on and everything is fine. The tech that came out really went above and beyond and had to spend quite a lot of time outdoors in below zero temps. I bought his lunch.

Depending on how many clients you are running and also depends on what the line is that was added downstairs. If your line added downstairs says RG6 then its a client issue talking to the host> HR 34 or HR44. Also it could be the power insert was relocated in a direct line outlet and the signal to IRD is being used VIA client side return to SWM Mod. I wouldn't suggest using the PI in any rooms a client is located nor would I use the PI close to any of the HR34 or HR44. I need more details on this setup to help you correct the issue.