7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2013 6:32 PM by pissdoff RSS

On Demand

halfgenius

I just switched from comcast to Directv and already starting to regret it due to the horrible on demand. My biggest disappointment is with UFC. Usually before the ufc events, there are a list of previous fights featuring the fighters of the upcoming event. I can't even find a single UFC fight anywhere in Directv's on demand. There's no Daily Show, Colbert Report, even newer episodes of Amazing World of Gumball was missing (dont judge ).  Also, I cant seem to find a single show I actually want to watch and when I do, the episode is never available. Just some stupid option to record it the next time it airs. If this wasn't irritating enough, I'm hearing from other subscribers the shows have to download to watch them and there's no instant streaming. I seriously hope this is temporary or Directv has plans to change their on demand service. Until then I'm looking for ways out of my contract.

• Re: On Demand
    peds48

How long ago did you get install?  It takes 24 hours for the DOD to be available.  regarding streaming, yes, DirecTV downloads instead of streaming, but with a decent internet connection you should be able to download in "real" time

halfgenius

Its been a little over a week now. I have great internet speed so the downloading thing I could get use to no problem. The biggest issues is finding the shows and the lack of programs and newer content.

dcd

Here's a good way to get acquainted with Directv's On Demand.  Open your Guide to channel 1000.  After looking around, use the green button to scroll through all of the On Demand servers.  Some sites have thousands of programs available, while others have a limited number.

cyntkay

Can this be done in any room in the house using that room's remote?

dcd

The scanning of the On Demand channels (servers) can be done from any HD DVR, Genie or Genie Client (Mini).  It cannot be done from any HD Receiver or SD box.  This is all dependent on your system being connected to the Internet.

dcd

Note that the big advantage to recording over streaming is that Directv downloads the full resolution of the original program as well as the full audio and Dolby if present.  Streaming systems adjust the resolution to suit the Internet connection and often provide a resolution that is marginal.

pissdoff

I Hate directv on demand. very limited shows & few episodes for the show. Comcast on demand is beyond superior. Ugh I want comcast back.