33 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2014 12:22 PM by peds48 RSS

iPad App Not Working

packman95

The iPad app has not worked for me in several months.  When I bring up the app, I am able to login but no content ever comes up on the iPad and it can not find my receivers.  The Currently Watching section always says "Searching for Receiver" and the What's Hot section says "Loading...".  I have reloaded the app several times and I know my receivers are properly connected to the network because I use a 3rd party remote control app with my receivers without any issues.  I also have multiple iPads that I have tried this on and none of them work. 

I called DirecTV a couple months ago and after an hour or so on the phone, they were unable to resolve but said my account would be refreshed within 72 hours to fix it but it has never worked.  Does anyone know what will fix the issue?

• Re: iPad App Not Working
    dcd

Press the dash button on your HD DVR and confirm that it reports Internet connected.  Then look in your router's settings and confirm that no firewall is running.

packman95

I had already confirmed all that prior to calling DirecTV and they went through it all again. Everything is connected properly to the network and I can pull up apps on the receiver.

3reddogs3

Maybe try removing/uninstalling the app, then power off your iPad, start it back up again, then go to the app store and download/reinstall the app.  Sometimes a fresh start can resolve problems like yours.  

dcd

To go a step further, remove the App from the iPad, do a power button reset of the iPad, then download and reinstall the App.

packman95

I have reloaded the app multiple times and done a hard reset.  I think the issue is on them DirecTV end but I'm hoping someone in the forums knows what the issue is.

dcd

I personally (and I assume many others) are running the three iPad Apps all successfully.  We see a lot of posts from folks who feel their problem is the software but that is seldom really the case.  Much more apt to be some anomaly in your home network, a router firewall or some such.

rcarpenter

I can longer get latest updated iPad app on my old iPad 1. Says I need IOS 6.1 which I don't have.

patriciap

I Have the exact problem.  The forum seems to think it is the DTV app problem...I am connected to Internet and everything works except  the. DTV app since it was upgraded.   frustrating...did you get it working yet?  Not me.

packman95

No, after 2 calls and around 3 hours on phone with DirecTV, still no resolution. They claimed they referred it to "Engineering" for resolution both times, but it still doesn't work. I even talked to a supervisor last time asking someone from Engineering to call me, but he refused to have someone call me or give me a contact I could call.  He said Engineering doesn't call customers.

catrider70

I could not get the iPad app to work until I did the following:

Enable these settings on each of your boxes:

Settings>Whole-Home>External Device>External Access>Allow

Settings>Whole-Home>External Device>Current Program>Allow

Settings>Whole-Home>External Device>Recordings>Allow

billyburg718

packman95 I went crazy with the same issue and eventually they came in and replaced my main DVR (Genie) and then everything worked fine. There were (2) specific issues: 1. iPad and iPhone could not connect to the receiver 2. DirecTV apps would not load. Both issues were resolved after I received my replacement DVR.

patriciap

I Checked my IP address on my computer and se that it is diff than my TV and my ipad.   Would that be the problem that no receivers are showing up on the DTV app?  I have not changed anything yet.

i may have to call my phone company or DTV???

irishanimal

There is actually a very simple way to fix this problem so all receivers are recognized on the iPad app. All you need to do is a main reset by resetting all the boxes in your house at the same time. Let them reconfigure, then run the app and you can actually go to settings - receiver control and watch the receivers go green as they reestablish network settings on the whole network. Hope this solves this problem for you!

laj7108

DIrectv no longer supports the app for IPad 1 users. This is a bad decision in my opinion for customer service. You need IOS 6.1 on your IPad for their app to work. Unfortunately Apple has not released that version of the software to the first version of the tablet.

peds48
      It was not DirecTV's decision to not support the iPad 1 any longer. But in order to take advantage of the newer features of the new devices, iOS 6 or newer is required.  This is Apple policy and not DirecTV's.  The iPad 1 will no longer be getting any iOS updates from Apple.  
        laj7108

The decision to not include an app that will work on the older IOS version was a poor choice by Directv. Version 2.0.15 of the app worked perfectly on the older IPads. Why not offer customers a choice depending on what IPad version they have?

Sent from my iPad

John

peds48

Because is not worth it to support what little is left of this customer base.  DirecTV is not the only one, many pay TV providers are not supporting iOS 5.1 any longer as well

billyburg718

HBO and other content providers are forcing DTV to make these decisions. To include the new features they needed to revise iOS requirements - this is supposed to prevent piracy . Thinking about canceling DTV for a few months and buying a new iPad with the $ saved.

peds48

from Apple website

Make Your Apps Work Seamlessly with iOS 7

December 17, 2013

Starting February 1, new apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be built with the latest version of Xcode 5 and must be optimized for iOS 7. Learn more about preparing your apps by reviewing the iOS Human Interface Guidelines.

I guess Apple just killed the iPad 1 completely!

circuit_hacker

Incorrect -- don't blame Apple. It is a software issue with the DIRECTV app no longer running on IOS5.1, which is the last software update available for the IPAD 1. DIRECTV has chosen not to leave an older version of their application available. This is happening with several other TV apps as well: IOS 5.1 is being left behind.

BTW, it is NOT a processor compatibility issue as one of the earlier answers implies. The new IPADs do have more memory allocated to the OS but DIRECTV had the option to keep an IOS5.1 compatible version of the OS available.

Most of the non-TV apps -- even recently updated -- run just fine on the IPAD1.

mshamel

I Have the same issue described hear.  I have tried all of the suggestions outlined in this thread to no avail.   I am using an ipad3 with the current version of ios7 With a HR20 DVR.  In an effort to diagnose the issue I configured the DVR with a static IP and ran a continuous ping test against it while connecting the ipad app.  Now the issue is intermittent.  Sometimes it connects with full functionality and sometimes it returns to all off the symptoms mentioned here.  Does anyone have access to the communications specifics?  Pure tcpip? Type of interface? Retry logic, etc,

dcd

You'd be well advised to begin a fresh thread to deal with your problem.  A brand new Directv iPad App was released within the last several days so the bulk of the content contained in this thread is not relevant to a current problem.

molex1998

you described exactly the same instance of events and problem as I... I finally spent the weekend trying to figure this problem out as I have not seen any progress or resolution.  I tried various iPads and uninstall, reinstall, sat receiver settings, firewall settings and finally got mine working.

do you have a firewall/router in line ?

HAve you you checked the logs for denies or dropped packets ?

i Was getting dropped when getting a reply back from directv. I had to open port. 8080, netbios, and IRC. Instantly when the new filter was applied, I saw two of my iPads fire straight through to loading the modules instantly. All the modules (currently viewing, live streaming, what's shot, etc...)now work.  This was after months of nothing and not spending quality time trouble shooting.  The update months ago was killing me but now I'm happy !

dcd

You proved the point of my October 6, 2013 post.  Folks who always blame a "faulty" App or software do themselves an injustice when it may be something as simple as a router setting.