7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 4:00 PM by peds48 RSS

Old Reciever = Poor HD Signal?

samx3

I recently hooked up a new 60" Samsung 7100 Series 240hz TV to my HR21-200 DVR receiver.  I expected the picture quality to blow my socks off but I find the pixelation and graininess too much to bear.  Blu-ray movies are utterly breathtaking, so I know it's not the TV.  I tend to watch mostly recorded HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/Etc. movies and also regular stations like TNT, TBS, USA, History, etc.  I have noticed a little picture quality degradation on my upstairs Sony, but nothing like on this new TV.  I'm seriously considering returning it and going back to my 4 year old plasma.

Could my 4ish year old receiver be the problem?  If the dish is slightly out of alignment, would the picture quality suffer like this (I do lose signal far more often that I ever used to)?  Would the new Genie system make any difference?  Has the Directv HD signal simply gone down in quality since I signed up many years ago?

Not sure what to do next.  All suggestions appreciated.

• Re: Old Reciever = Poor HD Signal?
    litzdog911

How is the HR21's Video OUT connected to your Samsung?

Are you sure the DVR is putting out an HD video signal (720p or 1080i)?

What model Receiver/DVR is connected to your upstairs Sony?  Have you tried swapping the DVR/Receivers?

Dish mis-alignment typically won't degrade the video quality, but it will knock out reception during poor weather.

samx3

HDMI out.  I've yet to try a different cable or input on the TV

Resolution set to 1080i - The football game yesterday looked pretty good.  Most other stations are much grainier.

Upstairs is a 3 year old HR24-100

I had this TV upstairs initially on the newer DVR.  I questioned the picture quality when it was there, but thought I must just be too picky.  It does seem to be worse downstairs, although it is difficult to tell when they're not side by side.

litzdog911

It could simply be the video settings on your new TV.   Most HDTVs out-of-the-box have their video settings set to maximize the "punch" of the video.  Do you have a video calibration DVD?  Or try one of the TV's "Cinema" or "THX" modes, if it has those.   Also, turn down the "Sharpness" setting.  And try disabling any "Video Enhancement" settings.  

You might want to check the relevant thread for your HDTV in the HDTV Forums at http://www.avsforum.com.  There you'll find optimal settings that other folks have discovered for that HDTV.

samx3

Already played with all the settings and smart picture features.  Am considering getting a professional calibration.  Thanks for the suggestions though.

dcd

I'd guess your problem is something very simple.  For instance, you have the receiver set to hide the HD channels and are actually watching a SD signal.  Under preferences make sure the hide SD channels is selected then go to channel 359.  The picture is all business but there are a multitude of tiny details all of which should be sharp.

jcat

on your tv remote hit the info button  . this should indicate the resolution being displayed on the screen . if it is 1080 then the DTV receiver or the DTV changes in the MPEG digital signal is the problem.

just to check see if the signal on your sat dish is in the 90% area. at least 80 % but this should not effect grain or lack of a sharp picture. replacing the HDMI and using a different input see if it improves also as a try but I doubt it will help.

peds48

jcat wrote:

on your tv remote hit the info button  . this should indicate the resolution being displayed on the screen . if it is 1080 then the DTV receiver or the DTV changes in the MPEG digital signal is the problem.

that means nothing as the OP can be watching an SD channel unconverted to 1080i as dcd explained

Also low signal strength wont degrade a picture.  If it comes in, it is the same with "50" or with "100"