8 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2015 1:57 AM by rgh43 RSS

HR44/500 with 736 error, referred to "engineering"?

dcason

My HR44/500 no longer allows me to purchase any content with remote and displays the 736 message. This affects both OnDemand (1100) and traditional PPV channels (100s).

Phone and internet are connected and working; no errors in Network Settings. System test reports no problems. I have only the one DTV receiver.

I spent an hour on the phone with two different Protection Plan reps a couple of weeks ago. They did resets, reauthorizations, and basically everything they could think of. Finally the second rep gave up and said the problem would be "referred to engineering." This sounds like a black hole to me and I am still without functionality.

I can order, but it require a circuitous process of using the playlist, the website, a substantial time lag, and sometimes multiple attempts. Very cumbersome and hardly worth the effort.

Any ideas? And what does "referred to engineering" really mean? Do I have to keep calling and going through the long process over and over again until someone decides to do something? Customer since 1999 and never had a problem like this before.

• Re: HR44/500 with 736 error, referred to "engineering"?
    mrtyler10

Refer or escalate to engineering meaning they would attempted to connect to On demand purchase something useing the same setup as u they should of have u send a report through the receiver to this dept.. if connected to the internet of course OSD 736 THOUGH that error usually is never escalated I'm sure ippv or oppv is not checked or they need to increase your purchase limit and resend authorizations to resolve..escalation process should be no longer than 72 hrs and call back if unresolved

peds48

736 means that you have exceeded the PPV limit set by DirecTV.  IF this is one time occurrence paying your bill now (even if is not due yet) will fix this issue.  If you are seeing yourself encountering this issue a lot of times, you might want to talk to DirecTV to increase you PPV monthly limit

dcason

@peds48 - CSR said that "exceeding the PPV limit" is not the problem in my case, though I agree with you that that is how the error is intended to work.

peds48

you can prove them wrong by paying your bill...

luckytucker

I have seen a few of your responses, and the majority of them are bogus at best.  Typically the code means your stb has not contacted Directv for 60 days or more.  I think Directv is pretty sneaky myself.  They know lots of people are going to have problems with the Genie, so they give all new installs a 60 day grace period ordering pay-per-veiw via their Directv remote control, but after approximately 60 days good luck.  I am only talking about a HD Genie HR44 connected to a wireless router; even though the wireless router is actually hard-wired to the Genie box through an installer installed deca.  This may or may not be necessary, it's a coin toss on this supposed tech site, one brilliant piece of pseudo-knowledge was to let the installer add the unnecessary wiring and devices since they are paid more if they perform this task, and after the installer leaves remove it all since it is redundant (HR44 reportedly has built-in deca).  What it means is this, Ethernet cat5 to HR44 and letting the HR44 send the information the out coax directly rather than having an external deca connected to the router.  Sorry, I got side-tracked, been dealing with Directv for too many days in a row, CSR's are excellent at stall, side-track, and sometimes try to bully the customer into thinking the problem is their fault and not the provider's.  I can only speak from personal experience.  I have connected to the HR44 through wireless, connected to internet download the apps, watched videos through the extras features, record, playback, multiple programs often times recording 3 simultaneously, not a single problem.  With two exceptions, cannot order a pay-view movie/event with my remote control (a Genie RF remote purchased from Directv), and Network Services would never connect, neither automatic or manually.  Had the HR44 replaced and was able to again connect to the wireless internet but still Directv was not receiving callback.  Installer here 2 days ago, cleaned up initial installation, more tidy nothing else.  He re-connected the external deca; disconnected when wireless connection was established; ran his diagnostics on the system and reported all as well.  Not so fast, now a  "tech" supervisor who was enlisted after my first encounter with csr, calls me by telephone, and tells me the system is still not sending the callback to Directv.  Her and I had been on the phone 5-6 hours in previous conversations to troubleshoot the problem, and her advice is my router or Internet Provider are the problem.  What?????  I have a cable modem for internet, so from modem to router, from router through Ethernet to computer.  Router also wired to Deca which connects with coax to a splitter and ultimately to the HR44 coax in.  I know one coax from the splitter attaches to a mini genie.  Long story quick finish, since I have a new replacement box, I have 60 days, according to "tech" supervisor and if the box does callback the remote control pay-per-view will again stop with error 736.  Only thing I have not tried, and debating on it, disconnect deca to HR44, wire router to HR44 with Ethernet and see what happens.  Might have to investigate the mini and if on Deca remove the Deca also.

shannon01

The HR44 has WiFi built in as well as DECA and DTVs approved method to connect to the internet is with the WiFi or the coax from the SWM splitter to the DECA BB connected to the router, Ethernet cable while it works is not an approved method.  The minis defiantly shouldn't have a DECA connected to it.

rgh43

I to have trouble with the speed of the download & was told not to Hardwire the HR44. Yet I can set my HP laptop close to the HR44 and the WIFI is generally measuring  over 40Mbps from various test sites, my PC is usually 90Mbps or above. I don't understand why the Genie downloads so slow.  I have Cable running so it should not do this.  Amazon loads at a blinding speed even compared to Netflix and the TV is Cat 5 direct.  This compared to the DirecTV download so I will try to connect directly with a Cat 5 to see what I get.  CSR is rarely any help as their technical service skills consist of reading from a script,  but on some rare occasion I have found some help. You can Snow a lot of customers but many know when they are being fogged over.  Then after 30 min's they will at times move you up to Tier 2 support or so they say, ha!   I spent 40+ yrs with a major Communications co which means my skill level is usually well above average.  I spent all my time in the field and  after some time we started installing Dial Up modems.  When I retired we were installing DSL.  Much has changed over time