85 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2014 7:32 AM by rexen54 RSS

Is it true that DirecTV is going to DROP the Weather Channel?

sandrahoutz

I just got an e-mail from the Weather Channel saying the DirecTV is set to DROP the Weather Channel? Seriously? I know they added that stupid Weather Nation channel which is virtually useless

• Re: Is it true that DirecTV is going to DROP the Weather Channel?
    dcd

Let Directv carry on their retransmission fee negotiations unimpeded by us.  Keep in mind that every time a contract expires some viewer wants a renewal at any cost.

Weather Channel vs. DirecTV — Is it a matter of life and death? | TV or not TV | The Salt Lake Tribune

peds48

what's the weather channel good for if they show everything BUT weather.....

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/210021-the-weather-channel-and-directv/

missdee1976

I disagree, I watched the Weather Channel every morning before going to work and anytime of the day you could tune in and no matter what was on (reality or not) i could press the red button and get my local weather forecast.  Weather Nation NEVER shows my local weather and because I don't live in a major metropolitan are i.e. NY, Chicago, Philadelphia etc. it's completely useless to me.  Weather Nation is boring, the meteorologists are monotone and deadpan and terrible.  I miss Wake Up with AL and I didn't much mind the reality shows because I just changed the channel just like all the other millions of reality shows on TV.  I found some of the documentaries and programming like strangest space weather interesting.  Some of their programming was quite interesting to watch.  Weather Nation offers nothing of interest and not even up to the minute or reliable forecasting for my area.  I don't want a general idea of what's coming my way, I want to know exactly.  No local on the 8's, I don't see how Direct TV can suggest Weather Nation as .an alternative when the channels clearly don't offer the same thing.  Bring back The Weather Channel.

sleeper06

I agree with you< Bring back The Weather Channel, WeatherNation only shows what they want. NO LOCAL WEATHER AT ALL. I wish they would stop playing this stupid money. I think they should drop the reality shows also, They should go back to what their good at. IT"S ALL ABOUT MONEY ??? I signed up for Direct TV less then 3 months ago, and they are already cutting channels. The clock is ticking _ Going back to cable when promo expires .

wvricky

Hi, sleeper06. Thank you for your comments. It is nice to hear from someone who agrees with me that, plain and simple, The Weather Channel is better than WeatherNation.  In quality and maybe quantity. The Weather Channel certainly has more money so it should be better. And it is, as far as weather-covering ability is concerned. And I think it could be pretty close quantity-wise because of all the taped repeat segments that are shown on WeatherNation under the guise of "LIVE TV". It is about money and maybe some kind of plan by Directv to cut its cost under the cover of looking out for us, the subscribers. As I have read in various articles, and I do not know if those articles have any biases or slant toward The Weather Channel, Directv is getting WeatherNation free of charge and substituting it for The Weather Channel. Variety is one of the places articles can be found. I have found that Directv has some very staunch supporters and that is fine. A lot

of them have been with Directv for a long time. So their loyalty is understood and appreciated. Even though it looks pretty bleak as far as any contractual agreement between Directv and The Weather Channel is concerned, I have several saved E-Mails from Directv Customer Care claiming that it, Directv is confidant an agreement will soon be reached. Of course those E-Mails are now just about three weeks old. Thank you.

litzdog911

Who cares.  They've added a much better weather channel.  The old Weather Channel hardly ever shows actual weather any more!

jcat

the weather channel as other have mentioned is now not much of a weather reporting feature. if you work a 2nd shift and come home at midnight all you get is programs about various content , but not any current or next day forecasting.

NBC took over I think , and they shut down the night time forecasting for the recorded repeat programs like mining and weather disasters over and over ...same stuff...

DTV should pay less ,not more for this program video provider.

rw1146

I started to sour on the weather channel two months ago when they decided to cancel their "notify" program. With that program one pays $50 a year to have them call your phone to warn you of possible dangerous weather in your area. Their reasoning was that there were other ways to find out about inpending bad weather.

I really relied on the phone calls.

After 19 years as a Directv customer I still have no complaints on decisions Directv makes!

viewerchoice

I wish satellite tv [ service ] providers focused on content delivery and allowed market forces to determine which channels to carry. Viewers drive revenue. I feel the service providers and content providers manipulate the market claiming to know what's best for the consumer. Are either really qualified to choose the channels we want? Is it fair to force subscribers to pay for channels they don't want to get the ones they do? I think not. The attorney general should weigh into disruptive and anti-competitive practices that work against the best interest of the consumer.

Service providers can provide choice and fairly operate at a profit. They are assigned bandwidth by the Federal government. That bandwidth should be dedicated, equally, based on number of paid subscribers, from high to low until the assigned bandwidth is consumed. If enough people subscribe to a channel it stays, otherwise it goes. The battle between Directv and the Weather channel serves nobody and works to the detriment of everyone. I feel the arguments posed by both sides are self-serving and unsubstantiated.

Directv has not announced a reduction in subscriptions when they dropped the Weather channel. The weather channel did not communicate what improvements to expect in exchange for higher rates. The consumer gets to pay the bill without a voice, except perhaps the choice of dropping service entirely. While I don't anticipate enough subscribers will exercise this privilege to make a difference, those who chose to drop must be allowed to do so without penalty or prejudice. Subscribers chose to enter into a contract based on content. When the content being delivered is changed, the contract is breached.  That's my opinion, I'd like to hear yours.

dcd

Before I can form a solid response, I need to know how many minutes per week you were tuned to the weather channel and actively watching.  This will give us some indication of the credit amount that would be equitable.

viewerchoice

I don't think that question is relevant.  This is not a pay per view scenario. I pay for a bouquet of channels, and this is what my monthly fee is based on. It is not based on whether my receiver is turned on or off or what channels I tune. I am not saying "I will miss" the weather channel. I am saying I am still paying for a channel I am no longer getting. The fact DTV replaced it with another channel is irrelevant, unless of course it's all the same to you ... I might have preferred remaining with what I had or a completely different option. My decision to subscribe to a channel was based on the channels in that package, and not on what someone in DTV corporate headquarters decided for me. Nobody asked us what we wanted, it was decided for all of us in undemocratic fashion.

joed32

Doesn't the contract use the words "subject to change"? They're nor breaching anything.

viewerchoice

I disagree. I won't go into the semantics of contract law, but consider the scenario where you subscribe to a package that has all HBO channels, and a similar situation results in replacement by all TMC channels. DTV could claim they have provided equity to the subscribers when in fact HBO and TMC do not have rights to broadcast all the same movies. You would not have equity. If DTV decided to replace HBO with nothing at all, that would also fall into your definition of "subject to change" as well, and represent a diminution of services. A clearer cut case for a bench decision or jury decision to be certain. If the service is changed materially, the terms of the agreement are broken. Don't be so fast to "give up" your rights to being treated ethically and fairly.

It is implausible an individual subscriber will take this to litigation, however, my suggestion to complain to the attorney general of your state is a good one if you feel strongly. It is also quite possible an attorney or law firm would take this up as a class action on behalf of subscribers in the future. You never know.

jcat

under the terms of the DTV 2 year agreement DTV can make changes in anything it wants to: prices, content,changing any of the terms. you however , the subscriber are bound by the 2 year term agreement.

If you want  the weather channel or feel a need for it , because the weather nation is not acceptable you will have to wait until you are free to cancel your DTV subscription.

DTV cannot violate the contract terms because , we all agreed to their terms which , can change at any time , with  or with out notice !

viewerchoice

Please refer to my response to joed32. A contract binds all parties to an agreement. All agreements are subject to interpretation and intent. The courts get to decide intent is when the parties fail to agree the terms are being fulfilled. I do not interpret the contact as carte blanche for a service provider to make changes that diminish the value of what I've contracted to receive. The wording of the agreement is key. Sure DTV will fight you and penalize you at their discretion, and claim this is what the contract intended. I seriously doubt this would stand up in a court of law.

Stand up for what you want. You might not care about TWC, but I'm sure you have favorite channels and pay for a subscription that includes them.

jbg

VIEWERCHOICE -> I couldnt agree with you more, Ive seen this happen way too many times and for many years now! this is the same tactic all TV providers use month in and month out to justify increasing the price on their services, what a coincidence that pricing for most DIRECTV existing and new customers will go up as of next month and now this so called "dispute" comes up! This is not just DIRECTV, its the Networks who also play the game as this too benefits them, they always know just how to manipulate things and always with the right Network, unfortunately switching to another carrier is not the solution either why? because they ALL play the game!..... next week it will be DISH network claiming to lose AMC, the following week Comcast losing NBC, the week after that Time Warner disputing with another Network and so on! the game goes on and yet the customer suffers,  is forced to face the price increase and take yet another hit to their wallet.

You are right viewers drive revenue but with that being said that is the same reason why TV providers keep getting away with this time and time again, they have no restrictions, the government doesnt care and has little control, agreements have hidden clauses not always disclosed in writing and some of those even vary from one state to the next. Even if you take them to court on a breach of contract claim they know this is bound to happen and they can live with that, after all that is why they have a very good team of attorneys all ready to step in whenever theyre called upon. The main problem in my opinion is more on us the TV viewer and customer and not the TV provider, lets face it, we all pay a high monthly TV price because we cant live without that 1, 2 or 5 channels we really watch out of the 200 that we pay for! if we were not so reluctant to just completely drop TV service for good and find something else and more productive to do with our lives this wouldnt happen! lets face it, TV watching can become an addiction not just entertainment, We ourselves drive up High Demand, which then drives TV prices up and then we complain about it when a channel we like gets temporarily taken out and we're still forced to pay the same price or when prices simply continue to go up, TV providers know this and they will continue to get away with this and play the game until we the customer put a stop to that by simply not allowing them to control our pockets! it makes no sense to me that while the economy is down TV prices keep going up. : /

JBG

jcat

many are dropping the tv providers . If they live in an area that has many OTA channels like I do . For a time  many years ago , the antennas on the roof tops disappeared. with the many failures of all these providers failing to provide reliable service, and prices increasing as the channels increase with poor selection most find they watch local OTA channels most of the time anyway. The roof top antennas are going back up. the deals I can get from the many providers here are unbelievable because they are loosing subscribers.

Just look at all the TV commercials DISH/DTV/VERIZON/COMCAST or what ever is in your area . these companies are loosing customers because of the high cost .. some of these like comcast will drop your bill if you have hard time making payments rather than loose a customer. with some however they have a HOOK IN YOUR MOUTH  and your not getting away. so if you have to agree to any agreement with out a guarantee , subscriber beware ! 

jbg

JCAT - I wish what you said was right however TV prices reflects otherwise, they are not losing as many providers as they keep gaining and even if they lose a few they always have a backup plan to replace that and keep profiting whether that be using the tactics mentioned in this thread, raising the receiver lease fees, HD or DVR service fees etc. etc. even if that is just a few cents or a dollar it makes up for what they lose with the thousands of customers they still have on the hook. They, the TV providers will NEVER lose out specially considering those few subscribers they do lose simply go to another competing provider and whenever they are misstreated by them or their contract runs up they are back to their former provider, its back and forth!

Unfortunately most of us do not rely only on Local channels and have been all too spoiled by HD and DVR service to go back in the ages to watching SD or using a VCR or DVR recorder to tape our shows. It goes back to what I said earlier, 101 economics, supply and demand! as long as we continue to demand they will continue to supply at whatever cost they feel will still be profitable without making a big impact on the number of customers they lose temporarily.

jcat

If you live in the wilderness areas ranch country you are not going to have the options I do living in a large metro area with many choices. actually DTV is rare here where I live. many have been told not to use DTV because of the tactics they pull with customer service. I tried to get some to try DTV but they said no when they read the user agreement.

DTV and the other providers are loosing on the lower cost packages , that people are changing to , because they have netflix. netflix is a hot stock and the subscribers are increasing  in number by a huge amount.

now there is a new service trying to get going that supplies local HD programing with DVR capability using in the cloud internet . cost is about 8 dollars. so if you live in an apartment you can get all the local hd and sd channels and have the ability to view at your time of choice.DTV does not provide the SD local channels just the HD so you miss some good educational programs and local news sports etc..

joed32

It's lose, losing. Not loose, loosing. Just trying to help, not being a jerk.

If you use Firefox or Chrome, use the Weather Watcher Extension for weather.  It pulls from Weatherbug, but I love that I get a snapshot of what is going on, without having to wait for the weather channel to show, or wait for Noaa.gov/weather.gov to load

jbg

I have traveled around the US and have been very surprised to see how many rural areas where youd never thing DIRECTV will be able to setup service actually do have it and here in the big city where I live its sometimes more of an issue because many live in 2, 3 or higher story apartments in which their only choice for the satellite dish placement is their patio or balcony and many times will not get signal. I too have netflix which is a good service but it just doesnt compare, im still waiting for them to upload the last season of Breaking Bad meanwhile those who have AMC have already watched the entire series and that is where the networks and TV providers get most on the hook!

People do not pay the TV monthly bills because of Local channels or Local HD channels, those can be easily picked up for free with an OTA antenna or by simply connecting the coax cable to your TV directly. What most people often overpay for are NON Local networks and that is keeps them on the hook with their respective TV providers.

viewerchoice

If they get away with it, it's because we let them, fear them, cower to the large corporate establishment :-). Just say no. Drop the service if that's practical. File with small claims if they penalize you. Make your politicians aware. It has to be made uncomfortable before someone thinks twice about how to act. Really, what's needed is legislation that separates content providers and content delivery, just like your gas or electric bill. I also prefer the european model where I own the equipment and receive a smart card from a provider (or providers --- some receivers have multiple slots) I do business with. In America, if we want to switch from DTV to DISH, we need to scrap the set. What BS. Imagine if you had to buy different equipment to receive services from terrestrial providers.

If it matters to you, complain. If practical, take action. What have you got to lose? The bill still needs to be paid end cycle.

carolinablutec

I don't really care. Weather Nation is fine, and my locals give the weather about a thousand times a day, Oh yes, there is the Internet, Phone Apps and TV apps. For a last resort, I will look out the window.

jbg

Well said Viewer, in the end it comes down to US as Customers having the SAME back up plan that TV providers have and beat him to the punch and in  their own game, some have decided to subscribe only to online streaming of the networks they care for or watch if they are offered of course, others find ways to split the signal to their TVs to minimize receiver lease costs though that is one other thing TV providers have also been negating to the customer making it harder each time by making and forcing customers to use newer equipment  but there is always a way around that if you are willing to do your research.

I for example have a DVD recorder in one room and a HD/PVR Hauppauge in another minimizing the excessive DVR fees for additional rooms by my local TV provider, I have a basic package with tier add ons which suits me just fine, bought my own modem and router to avoid their equipment lease fees. etc. etc. there are too many things one can do to take control and not let them control you! complaining, and threatening to call has saved me alot of money over the years, of course in order to do that I make sure all my bills are paid on time. The lesson here People is that we have OPTIONS!

As for the weather channel what

computergeek357

Sounds like there are a couple plants from the weather channel everywhere in the forums, A. your average station credit for a channel for a month would be $5.00  you pay for the equipment, the services provided to the equipment, the ability to decode the satelite signal, any extra receivers you have, and a mirroring fee so that you can pick it up on ALL the receivers, viewerschoice, please go back to TWC, tell them you did fine collect your paycheck and realize that no matter WHAT you say you are bound by the contract.  Interpret it any way you want, but one customer lost while I believe should never happen is not something that is always a bad thing because in 15 years of business I assure you that the customer is Not always right

missdee1976

You can download the American Red Cross Hurricane and severe storm app and they will do the same thing for free.

I use the Weather Watcher extension for Chrome, to keep track of alerts in my browser.  For our iOS devices, we use Wx Alert USA, which gives us the same weather alerts as a Weather radio, along with a Weather Radio in the app.

I never understood the need or want, to sit and watch for hours on end, the News channels, or even the Weather Channel, just to get the weather that you can get in the mornings, evenings, or before you go to bed on your local news.

Travel, yes you may want to sit there and watch to see, but I never trust the tv weather, since it is never correct nine times out of ten.  If I do travel, I am going straight over to http://www.noaa.gov for any info.

laika

Agree Sandra.  My husband and I don't like the new WeatherNation Channel.   The weathercasters are not very good and the maps are not clear at all.  My husband works outside and it was so easy to turn on the TV to the Weather Channel enter the zip code and get local weather.  I also liked the various Coast Guard shows in Alaska and Florida as well as some of the specials unique to the Weather Channel.  Hope DirectTV resolves their issues with the Weather Channel so we can get it back. 

texasbrit

If you read the posts on the Weather Channel facebook page you will find most people are saying they don't care about losing TWC. Since the channel started to show lots of reality shows instead of weather, they have lost their position as the "weather source" for most people.

1sato

I'm with Directv's efforts to reduce costs. There are alternatives to TWC that meet my needs. 

joed32

TWC is available on my Roku units but I haven't added the channel because I don't need it.

viewerchoice

Managing cost is extremely important whether you are a corporation, support a family, or as an individual. Excellent point. Where I think all satellite and cable SERVICE providers cross the line is managing what channels we are forced to get and forcing me to buy or lease equipment that is tied to their service. SERVICE providers should not be re-selling CONTENT and limiting (or requiring) specific channels. They should be segregated concerns to eliminate conflict of interest. So, if one person wants TWC, someone else wants WN or Accuweather, or nothing at all, that is a choice. This places TWC, WN, Accuweather on a competitive platform where subscribers have choice and the market determines cost. I should be able to decide HOW I want my content delivered. It could be cable, satellite, or even internet.

When SERVICE provider sells CONTENT, you get into mini-wars like this one, and you alienate the very people you are trying to service. If I want a sports channel, I "have to" stick to the providers that offer it.

benie

I do agree The Weather Channel is more about shows about weather instead of the current and future forecast, but I still want this over Weather Nation.

I mean, Weather Nation is ok, as they finally show where I live when they do their "Local" on the 8's (more like National on the 8's), but as much history as I had with The Weather Channel... I'm going to miss it dearly.

When I first saw it, it came to a shock to me. I was like "Wait.. where's The Weather Channel? This isn't it! The **** is this Weather Nation!?". I honestly had no idea The Weather Channel was removed at the time. I had just gotten a new TiVo in my room and I thought this was the new Weather Channel for TiVo users. Asked my parents if they had the same thing, and they did.

Again, I will miss The Weather Channel. So much history.

rashoop

I know that TWC has its fans. My wife and I used to fall into that category when weather was their primary focus. Since that's become secondary to reality-TV and fawning over themselves and their "TorCons" "Defcons", yada yada, we've stopped caring. The last straw for me was this inane naming of winter storms. Give it up Weather Channel! I began to next expect them to start naming Jim Cantore's bowel movements. I understand their after ratings and increasing the amount of time viewers watch, but their strategy has backfired.

For me, I'm thrilled this dispute has happened, and we now have a station that focuses on, get this... the weather! What a concept for a station that has "weather" in its name.

DIRECTV, if you happen to reach an agreement with TWC, please do NOT drop WeatherNation. If keeping customers happy is important to you, please read through this discussion and know that only a few of those with this opinion have actually chimed in here. Based on discussions I've read elsewhere, many others agree that TWC has lost their way. On a related note, remember when you could actually learn something on "The Learning Channel"? Oh, what is done for ratings...

dalton.shackelford

Nothing has been made official about Directv dropping the weather channel.  It is a scare tactic done by broadcasters so they can try to get more money.  For more information about TWC and Directv check out .. http://directvpromise.com/disputes/weather-channel/

Really no different then the whole Hallmark Channel & U-Verse disagreement.  That has been going on for about four years now, since U-Verse dropped Hallmark, due to disagreement between the two.

Really the Weather Channel showed more on the lines of 70% Reality TV, 30% weather.  As for area weather, it is the same as TWC.  Only way to get real local weather, is to subscribe to a Pay to watch tv service, that has the local Weather Channel equipment, to report local weather, or use the Browser extensions, or phone apps to get that info.

snooker

A more suitable replacement for TWC is coming.  Accuweather.com will be launching 24x7 weather in Q3 this year with live broadcasts on the web as well as on cable and satellite providers.  IMHO Accuweather is superior to TWC in terms of content, detail and expert commentary.  No more 'named' winter storms (a joke in the wx community.)  They have an announcement on their site accuweather.com.   While there check out the Expert Blogs under the Video section.

For Directv please seriously consider adding Accuweather feed when it becomes available.  It is a recognized weather leader for many businesses and communities.

teacher123

Absolutely despise Weather Nation.  We enjoy the variety of the Weather Channel and the locals.  We also enjoy the on-site weatherpeople.  We  enjoy what has been referred to as "reality shows".  With the Weather Channel we also get the weather plus other things.  We like that.  About Accuweather, I don't know anything about it.  We also have Comcast in our home.  Instead of watching Direct TV Weather Nation, we watch Comcast's The Weather Channel.  We have not watched DTV  Weather Nation since the first time.  Whatever you decide we still have The Weather Channel.  Love it...and it stays on nonstop during storms or bad weather.

icedcorn

While I agree Weather Nation *****, I haven't watched the weather channel in years. I prefer WeatherBug on my iPhone. And if it means our subscriber rates don't go up, I'm ok with it.

viewerchoice

This is all very good dialog and I want to thank the sandrahoutz for starting the thread.

The priority of a SERVICE provider should be to provide the best and most economical way of SENDING CONTENT to subscribers. CONTENT providers should not be SERVICE providers and vice versa.

- If you don't like any/all HBO channels, buy what you want as part of a standing subscription, or even buy a single movie on a PPV mode and avoid the subscription entirely.

- If you want NFL Sunday Ticket, buy it from the NFL. Don't put customers in a position where we HAVE to buy DTV to get the channels. No reason for this and it limits our ability to choose the best SERVICE provider. It's a bit like having to buy Verizon if you want to call Aunt Millie because she has Verizon.

- Having to buy DTV boxes to receive DTV service instead of just an access card on privately owned equipment, you CANNOT EASILY change Service providers. You are locked in. Imagine if IPhones could only call other Iphones (well we sort of have that ... but for another blog). In Europe, you buy access cards from Service Providers for satellite, period. They got this right.

The HOW we can influence this is a bit harder. We need to send letters to our State Attorney General, Senators and other political figures that represent you and your communities and speak out. What we have is a Monopoly, plain and simple, and it costs your money and limits your flexibility. If enough people raise a CONSTRUCTIVE stink, this is the easiest kind of change they can influence for us.

Remember, this is not about "I miss TWC" or "I hate WN". These are symptoms of a larger problem. I don't expect to see change anytime soon, but its a matter of time before the internet swallows all these guys whole, and they are going to provide the shovel and the labor to do it themselves it seems.

carolinablutec

DIRECTV is hardly a monopoly. You have alternatives to receiving entertainment products. As distasteful as I find it, handing out franchises to cable operators is not even a monopoly. Before consumer commercial satellite TV became available, I had an 8 foot C and KU band dish. I could even get around the cable operators "monopoly" then. DIRECTV is a business, their investors have put their money in and expect a reasonable return. The are free to choose the model and format for it. If it doesn't work they will change it or go under. At the moment I would say the model is doing OK. Even if I don't like some of their policies.

viewerchoice

I will grant you there is Dish Network, so you are right, there is not only one satellite provider, there are two. Sirius-XM is a true monopoly, there is only one. The phone company used to be a monopoly ... what does your monthly phone bill look like today as compared to 30 years ago (pre-divestiture)? The same opportunity is available to consumers in this industry.

As an investor, I hope you are  concerned with how a company conducts their business as well as profits/returns on investment. Most just look at the bottom line and could care less if a company uses child labor (for instance) or employs a business model that ties you in. There was one comment in this thread that lamented early termination charges (a very effective way of limiting choice). I am not an investor in DTV, if you happened to buy DTV in January 2011 you've gained 33% in 3 years (very nice). You've done that thanks to the subscriber base, and it's in your best interest as a shareholder to see regular growth. That works best when it's difficult for subscribers to choose another provider. I happen to disagree the model can be entirely free of regulation with only 2 satellite providers to choose from. You raise a valid investor position, and appreciate the fact you agree there is room for improvement. I recommend looking at IPTV as this looks to me as TV of the future.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy your own Ku kit, have a dozen providers you could choose from for content, pay for only the channels you want, stick the access cards in your receiver(s) and not have a beef with DTV when TWC or any other content provider raises their rate? Do you really think DTV has your interests in mind when choosing what content to provide? Doesn't it make more sense to force content providers to compete with one another?

If you've blogged on ways DTV (or DISH) can improve, please point me to those links. I would be interested in your point of view.

joed32

"Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy your own Ku kit, have a dozen providers you could choose from for content, pay for only the channels you want, stick the access cards in your receiver(s) and not have a beef with DTV when TWC or any other content provider raises their rate? Do you really think DTV has your interests in mind when choosing what content to provide? Doesn't it make more sense to force content providers to compete with one another?"

That's pretty much the way it was on C-Band. My dish is rusting away in the back yard.

shannon01

The providers give the DTV and other sat and cable suppliers a list of packages that they can choose from so DTV doesn't have much to choose from.

viewerchoice

Are you an apologist for DTV?  Poor DTV they couldn't help it.

Examples where I suspect you're right ...

- YES network forces DTV, DISH, FiOS, Uverse to carry nationally. Out of market subscribers not interested in the Yankees have to pay for this channel if they subscribe to any sports packages. To avoid this charge, you need to subscribe a non-national cable provider (you might not have that choice).

- HBO, Showtime, ... you can't just buy just one movie channel. Heaven forbid you save a few bucks on the monthly bill.

I SUSPECT (I really don't know) this is forced by the content provider. Thank goodness there no commercials on the movie channels.

Examples where not true:

- DTV dropped TWC didn't they? It does not appear NBC is forcing this as a must carry (yet).

- DirecTV eliminated several international channels to create HD bandwidth for "more popular channels";

DISH has more international programming (Chinese, additional Spanish channels, Greek, Korean ...)

- DirecTV offers Sunday Ticket, while DISH does not (see below)

DISH offers a handful of regional sports channels not offered by DTV

- Some differences on the specialty side, probably of little consequence  to a majority of viewers

Horseracing tv, Health & Human Services, Pentagon channel ... some will care, most will not.

Channel offerings vary due to exclusive contract arrangements with content providers (like Sunday Ticket) or based on service provider preference. Exclusive arrangements are just as the word implies .... excludes other providers from carrying the same independent content. In my opinion, this has the smell of monopolistic practice. Limited supply (single provider) and high demand increases cost. DTV paid $4bn (Wikipedia) for the right to exclusively carry in the US. Others might differ with me. It's all about where you think the line should be drawn.

Your statement has some truth in it, so kudos for that. If you are happy with the current arrangement, that's great. I think there's room for improvement. We pay a lot of money for commercial channels we don't watch and we don't have the option of dropping them while keeping the ones we do ... plus all the other stuff I mentioned.

peds48

viewerchoice wrote:

Some corrections to your post

Examples where not true:

- DTV dropped TWC didn't they?

Not really, there was a contract in place that expired, and neither could come to an agreement to sign a new contract.

It does not appear NBC is forcing this as a must carry (yet).

NBC is not the solely "owner"

- DirecTV eliminated several international channels to create HD bandwidth for "more popular channels";

Not sure where you are getting this from.  International channels are beamed from the 95 and HD is from both the 99 and 103 sats

wvricky

Hi. Peds. I really do appreciate your TECH skills and I enjoy reading your back and forth banter with those with opposing stances on both Technical issues and Non-Technical matters. So I hope you will not be too abrasive in your response to my thoughts on The Weather Channel. I have heard that TWC only wants one penny more in the new contract. $.14   cents per subscriber as opposed to $.13 in the old contract. Directv wants to pay them 20% less than the old contract. I am horrible at math, so I will say that would amount to about $.03 cents less than the old contract or $.10 per subscriber. That would make the amount over which is being squabbled $.04. And we little people, the subscribers as usual, are the ones who are stuck in the middle. I do not appreciate Directv telling me that WeatherNation is an acceptable alternative to The Weather Channel. And I think only people who are not very observant would say that WeatherNation is "Live" 24 hours a day. It is so obviously NOT. This morning at 6:00 A.M. and 7:00 A.M. the same two people were talking about the exact same video (kids mountain-biking in California) while they verbally said the exact same thing at both 6:00 A.M. and 7:00A.M. with the exact same facial expressions and awkward haste to get past the attractive lady saying she could "taste the weekend" coming up and her male counterpart doing a sort of raised-eyebrow double-take and trying to change the subject quickly. I have read articles that claim the segments are taped and put together to look like one continuous show. And I have seen two consecutive segments where the same lady did the weather for a particular region and then after a brief pause and a map change in the background, she is right back for another region, BUT SHE IS WEARING A DIFFERENT OUTFIT. So it is not live and for DIRECTV to claim it is live 24 hours a day is just untrue .WeatherNation could not cover the proverbial "**** in a windstorm". Does anybody really believe WeatherNation can cover a major hurricane, a devastating tornado outbreak like in Oklahoma just last May, or a dangerous winter storm like The Weather Channel can? I do have a letter sent from Directv Customer Service saying "We have reviewed your account and waive any existing agreement." According to Webster's, any means ALL, EVERY, and unlimited and unmeasured. So I may have DTV over a barrel because I have heard that contract law ambiguities usually are beneficial to the little guy because big corporations are supposed to know better. I mean as far as cancellation fees are concerned, of course. These are my thoughts and I just wanted to get them out. No animosity intended. Thank you.

shannon01

A 1 cent increase is still 30 million pennies, 20 million if the Latin market doesn't get TWC

peds48

wvricky wrote:

.WeatherNation could not cover the proverbial "**** in a windstorm". Does anybody really believe WeatherNation can cover a major hurricane, a devastating tornado outbreak like in Oklahoma just last May, or a dangerous winter storm like The Weather Channel can?

That is my issue with TWC.  Folks claim that they did weather when in fact, weather was only 40% of their core programing.  Also TWC just is plain stupid claiming that lives are at risk if DirecTV were to drop them, this is simply not true.  They also say that 100 million customers will be affected by this, on their best day, TWC only had 1.5M viewers with an average of 200K daily, no where close of what they claim.

I watched TWC very little, however their tactics to get to DirecTV are disgusting

wvricky

Hi, Peds48 and Shannon01. Thanks for taking the time to comment on my rather long-winded post. And I have to chuckle because each of you got one "like"  for your much shorter comebacks while I got a big fat zero for my lengthy spiel. I like The Weather Channel and its weather persons and the way it covers major weather events live as they are happening. But I am NOT a constant viewer of TWC. Mainly early morning and early evening and when major weather events are occurring. Seldom watch the reality shows. But I do miss it and I especially  miss the TWC APP.  In an attempt at an analogy, say you were an avid hunter and outdoors person, and your TV provider was negotiating with your favorite hunting and outdoor channel over a few cents and in the meantime your hunting channel was removed and not available but you were given a hunting channel that you just did not like because it obviously, in your opinion, was not what you felt an acceptable substitute, but your satellite or cable provider told you that your favorite channel did not have a monopoly on hunting and the great outdoors, and the channel that they offered was just as good if not better. Maybe you would be irked somewhat, to say the least. Any type of channel or channels would fit in the analogy. News, sports, movie, religious, political, etc. Thank you again.

peds48

While you certainly may have a point, unfortunately it does not apply to TWC.  Nowadays there are many ways to get weather and IMO, relying on a national feed for your local weathe is not a good idea. If weather is really of importance to you, the local chanels often enough do a Better job the TWC.  same cannot be said if AMC has the rights to the walking dead and DirecTV pulls it because of a monetary dispute.  The point is that the content provided by TWCnis just not worth all they money they are asking for

dcd

As I understand it, the Weather and the Directv folks are $.03/subscriber/month apart.  If my calculator is working right, that's somewhere in the vicinity of seven million dollars per year.  More than a few cents.  Note that every, repeat every, time Directv and a content provider gets into a rate dispute there are folks that post here that say, "don't haggle over a few cents, give us the programming".  If Directv followed your advice the rates would go through the roof and we all know that they are already too high.

Why don't we all relax and let the financial folks do their jobs.

joed32

I thought this was a technical help forum. Over on dbstalk and also on satelliteguys there are discussion going on about the weather channel and they are both busy places with lots of posters and programming discussions are welcomed and encouraged. This isn't really the place for them.

wvricky

Hi, Joed32. You are so right. This is a technical forum. I would not have posted anything about this DIRECTV - WEATHER CHANNEL FIASCO if you TECH GUYS had not responded with what I perceive as somewhat biased comments in favor of DIRECTV and against The Weather Channel. I did not feel this was the proper place for any discourse on this DTV vs TWC dispute. But when you guys (yourself, Joed32, Peds48, dcd, shannon01, and now, Ray) sort of came out backing DTV, I thought it was O.K. You guys started it. Why is o.k. for you guys and not for me?

joed32

You might find a better and broader discussion at the places I mentioned. I post on those as well as here so if you do I'll see you there. It's true that I think the weather channel is superfluous with all of the information we have at our fingertips and that most of their programming was reality shows. You like it and I don't care for it. Nothing wrong with disagreeing we all have that right.

wvricky

Hi. joed32. Yes, you are correct about TWC and its reality shows. Truthfully, I do not watch them. I only watch early mornings between 4:00 A.M. and 7:A.M. for live forecasts and weather news. And I do not stay tuned at all times in those three hours. It is back and forth between news and weather on the local channels and Way Too Early on MSNBC and CNN and ESPN and The Weather Channel. And then it is the same way in  the evenings. I like TWC's weather presenters and it does have the financial and personnel resources to put people "LIVE" where the weather is happening.  Especially in places like Moore and El Reno, Oklahoma last May and Joplin, Missouri in 2012? Not sure about the year. I just get really irked at DIRECTV trying to convince me and I guess the rest of their subscribers, that WeatherNation is an "equal alternative" to The Weather Channel. Thank You.

wvricky

So, dcd, how are they going to compromise evenly over $.03 per month? Somebody's going to have give a penny so that one side can say it won a whopping penny victory over the other. Or is one or both sides going to dig in and say, all or nothing, meaning The Weather Channel is permanently gone from DIRECTV? And your seven million dollars per year figure sounds good. Until you multiply $.13 times 20 million to get the amount DIRECTV is raking in by getting WeatherNation free while still charging us for The Weather Channel even though it is unavailable. According to my admittedly poor math skills $.13 x 20000000 = $2,600, 000 dollars per month times 12 months ($2,600,000 x 12 =  $31,200, 000)  31million, 200 thousand dollars. A lot more than your seven million dollars. DIRECTV is chuckling  and smirking all the way to one of its many depositories.

carolinablutec

I have avoided adding any more posts to this thread, but I can't stand it. The Weather Channel (part of the Weather Companies) is owned by NBC Universal. Do you find it interesting that Comcast finally acquired 100% ownership of NBC Universal. I guess it is not surprising that The Weather Channel wants you to pledge to switch from DIRECTV to another provider. I wonder who would benefit from that? At the end of 2012, Comcast had 22 million subscribers and DIRECTV had 20 million. They were (and still are) the number 1 and 2 pay TV providers. The entire industry of pay TV has begun to lose customers to the phone companies (AT&T, Verizon) and to Internet only viewing. If The Weather Channel was not a subsidiary of Comcast, they and DIRECTV would have made a deal, but both sides have to believe that it is in their best interest, but in this case, it was not.

It will get even worse, if the Time Warner Cable merger goes through.  Then CC will become the largest monopoly/Conglomerate around, Nationwide.  For granted some areas you may have multiple choices, but there can be "Doughnut Holes', in which your only choice for Internet is CC only, or same for wired tv.

But since you have the option of going to Satellite, of course Comcast argues that they are not a Conglomerate/Monopoly.

djh61187

How Cool, Weather is bad here in Dallas. Turned on the weather channel and to my surprise I got to see real weather. I didn't have to watch 4 hours of reality TV to find out the temp was 26. Way to go DirecTV. It is nice to turn on a Weather Channel And actually see the Weather. 

wvricky

Hi, djh61187. Glad you enjoy watching weather reruns.  You apparently have drunk the Directv magic elixir and been mesmerized and hypnotized into not realizing that you are watching the same weather segments over and over and over. And I mean EXACTLY the same. Directv sure rooked you. WeatherNation is NOT, as DTV used to boast,( I guess they backed off that outrageous claim when someone called them out on it) "LIVE" 24/7. Some people are just easily fooled !!! HA!!! HA!!! Thank you.

rexen54

Not wanting to be too far off topic....but TWC makes a free app for my android and it shows my local weather 24x7 as well as any other city I want to know about. I am sure they make if for apple phones too.

And better yet, it will send you a severe weather alert if upcoming conditions are deemed dangerous.  Give it a try and don't look back at TWC on your tv.

I am all for not having my Dtv bill go any higher than it must,  and honestly I hated how you got local weather once every 10 minutes and it was full of commercials and their own programming most of the time.