5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2014 12:58 PM by carolinablutec RSS

Question about Free Genie Upgrade

ktrayn

Multi-part question.  I currently have one HD-DVR receiver (H22-100), two HD receivers (H24-100) and one standard receiver (D-12).  DirecTV is offering a free Genie upgrade of three receivers.  They recommend leaving the HD-DVR in place and replacing the other three.  If I do this, will I have the benefit of both harddrives and will the TV attached to the existing HD-DVR have the upgraded Genie user interface and functionality?  At the same time, I want to upgrade the TV on the standard receiver to an HDTV.  Is it true that connecting the upgraded TV to the supplied Geni mini client will allow the HD upgrade without further interaction with DirecTV?  Thank you very much.

• Re: Question about Free Genie Upgrade
    peds48

You can def keep the HDDVR but they will operate independently of each other with the added benefit of being able to share the playlist any where

yes, yes, the mini genie is HD already so all you would need is to connect the new HDTV with an HDMI cable.

rolls

To answer your first question, You would be able to record on both the Genie (1 TB) and your current HD-DVR (500GB).

Your second question needs a little more clarification, when you ask if the HD-DVR will be upgraded to the Genie user interface, are you referring to features like Genie Recommends? or maybe TV APPS, On Demand, Pandora, Youtube? The actual look of the menu for the Genie should be the same as the look of your current HD-DVR, the Genie has certain features (Like Genie recommends) that are specific to the Genie only.

Also to your last question, the Mini Genie is HD capable, so when you get an HD TV all you would need to do is connect the Mini Genie to the TV using HD cables, most likely HDMI, and you would have HD picture.

ktrayn

Thank you for your helpful post.  Let me try to be more specific about the interface question.  Assume that the Genie is attached to the TV in the living room and the existing HD-DVR is attached to the TV in my office and the other two TVs in the house are served by Genie mini-clients..  Will the TV in my office show the current HD-DVR interface and the three other TVs show the Genie interface (which I read is "Pandora-like")?  Will all recordings and playlists be available from both?  Can playlists include recordings on both harddrives?  If I make a recording from the TV in my office, will it automatically go on the HD-DVR harddrive?  And vice-versa?  Are the Genie apps and Genie features only available on the living room TV and he two other TVs that are connected to Genie mini clients?

Thank you again for any answers and I apologize for the anal detail, but I think it is the only way for me to understand.

peds48

ktrayn wrote:

Thank you for your helpful post.  Let me try to be more specific about the interface question.  Assume that the Genie is attached to the TV in the living room and the existing HD-DVR is attached to the TV in my office and the other two TVs in the house are served by Genie mini-clients..

Will the TV in my office show the current HD-DVR interface and the three other TVs show the Genie interface (which I read is "Pandora-like")? the HDDVR and Genie interface are both the same.

Will all recordings and playlists be available from both? Yes

Can playlists include recordings on both harddrives? Yes

If I make a recording from the TV in my office, will it automatically go on the HD-DVR harddrive? No

And vice-versa? no

Are the Genie apps and Genie features only available on the living room TV and he two other TVs that are connected to Genie mini clients? Don't know which features you are referring to

carolinablutec

The playlist is visible from all locations, you play from all locations, you can record from all locations. Each Genie has five tuners, the Genie Mini does not have a tuner. I have a Genie (HR-44) and an HR-24 and 3 Genie minis  and 4 TVs, so I have a total of 7 tuners. I record shows on both the HR-44 drive and on the HR-24 drive. The recorded shows from both drives are combined into one playlist that you see. The viewing experience is not really any different whether you are looking at a Genie Mini connected TV or a TV connected directly to the DVR.