10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2014 1:13 PM by peds48 RSS

Error 771 and Diagnostic Code 51-266

djgm

Hi everyone,

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my setup to work. I purchased a soon-to-be retirement home and it had a slimline dish already on the roof.

I can't tell what sort of slimline it is (just says "slimline" in the center along with directv logo). It has 4 cables coming from the LMB and into the attic. My research leads me to believe that 4 cables from a "slimline" dish means it's a directv 5lnb legacy dish? But I honestly don't know for sure.

I'm testing my primary home's D12-100 receiver with this dish.

I've attached one of the dish's cables to my receiver's "satellite in" port, just as I do at my primary res, but I get an error 771. When I try running satellite setup, it's preset to #7 slimline-3 & 72.5, with switch type #1, SWM. But I believe it should be set to #5 slimline and multiswitch?

Regardless of what type of setup combination I try, the verifying configuration does not work. And whenever SWM is selected (as I have it at my primary), I get an error that says "Cannot detect SWM."

When I run a system test, I get Diag Code 51-266, which also refers to a lack of an SWM or power connector.

My problem is that I don't this dish is an SWM, but I cannot set it successfully to the correct dish settings because it doesn't retain my settings of #5 slimline / Multiswitch since the configuration process fails. If I try to just set the combonation that I think it is and leave the setup screen, it goes to Advanced Guide Setup, hangs up at 0% (as expected), and doesn't let me leave. So I have to pull the recievers plug to get out of that. But then the default of #7 slimline / SWM is back.

Am I right to assume I can directly connect my dish straight to my receiver? I think this dish has a built in multiswitch in the LMB, but I can't find any conclusive info on that.

Do guys have any suggestions for me?

P.S. The receiver works well at my primary residence, so I know that works.

• Re: Error 771 and Diagnostic Code 51-266
    peds48

Are you connecting this D12 directly to the cables in the attic? It could be that the cables are not connected to the dish or that the dish has lot its prime alignment.

djgm

Yeah I am connecting directly to the cables in the attic. The cables are going into the LMB, so I'm assuming they're connected correctly to it, but honestly I haven't opened the LMB up to check (was a bit scared to start doing that because I didn't want to mess anything up - is there an easy way to access those connections?).

It definitely may have lost its alignment, but I was thinking the receiver should be able to detect the satellite regardless of where it was pointing, and just have a poor or missing signal? Does it have to be properly aligned in order to pass the configuration process that gets prompted upon selecting a satellite and switch type?

peds48

Yep, you must have a properly working dish in order to change the satellite settings

djgm

But wouldn't the receiver still detect that it's hooked up to a satellite, even if that satellite wasn't receiving a strong signal? And if not, will it properly detect the satellite even if the receiver isn't "set" to the proper satellite type?

I originally tried aligning the dish, and had the elevation and tilt set perfectly, but regardless of the azimuth we tried, it just wouldn't get show any signal beyond 0%. That's what led me on this pursuit of researching what the problem could be. If I get up on the roof and align it properly, I'm concerned my receiver won't even know... unless I'm mistaken about that?

peds48

djgm wrote:

But wouldn't the receiver still detect that it's hooked up to a satellite, even if that satellite wasn't receiving a strong signal?

Yes, but only with a SWM LNB.  Withe a SWM LNB, the receiver can identify the LNB, not the satellites.  with any other system, the receiver has no idea what it is connected to.  However the receiver can identify when is receiver the proper satellites

So to be more precise, with your current set up, (legacy) the D12 has no way to know that is connected to a dish unless the dish is aligned properly

You can however use the D12 signal meter to help you align the dish.  once the receiver "sees" the correct satellite, it will display their values on the screen.  keep in mind though, that the receiver can mistakenly identify satellites.

djgm

Thanks for trying to help. I spent the last little bit trying to get a read while aligning my dish. I have it set to the correct tilt and elevation, the I rotated it around the correct azimuth for a long while, but got no read whatsoever.

I checked the transponder connections and the coax cables are all connected securely. I traced those cables down back to my receiver, and each one is completely intact. Regardless of which one I tried I got the same results, so that makes me think it may be a problem with LNB (though I hope that's not the case). My current one is a Directv multi-satellite Ka/Ku LNB with a built-in multiswitch and 4 outputs. I still can't find any labeling on the dish itself other than the slimline label. I just can't figure it out.

peds48

Most likely is a dish alignment issue

dcd

Understand that your D12 is setup for a SWM system and you must change that and there is a specific sequence you must follow.  Go to setup and select the portion where the SWM type is indicated and change that to Multiswitch, the go to dish model and change that to SL3 or SL5, whichever you have, leaving off the 72.5 designation.  Continue on through the setup process and those changes will "take".

djgm

Thanks @dcd but I'm able to change that successfully in the satellite setup section. It's just that I can't leave there until my receiver detects the satellite (and god forbid I accidentally hit the back or continue button cause then you have to pull the plug on the receiver and wait for load-up due to there not being a way to get out of the advanced guide setup without a satellite detection), and it seems whatever I try as far as aligning goes, it just won't detect my dish.

@peds48 I hope that is the case. I have the elevation and tilt set right to what my receiver advises for my area code. I've set azimuth as close as I could using a compass, then started ticking the dish around by about a degree and would listen for my satellite's beeping strength indicator to change, but there was nothing after about a half hour of playing with it. I'll try again this afternoon to see if I have better luck today. Thanks for the advice.

My LNB has 3 circular/oval-ish knobs pointing at my dish, but one of those (the far right one, if looking at them from the dish's perspective) has a broken outside rim/visor. The actual knob's casing is fine, but that visor is broken off, presumably from sun damage. Would that affect anything? Also, my knob casings are kind of dusty/dirty, but I haven't cleaned them in fear of messing them up.

peds48

a broken "visor" or "hat" wont affect.  as long as water and/or moisture has not gotten into the LNB, you are good to go.