33 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2014 3:40 PM by litzdog911 RSS

Getting sick from satellite dish

womble

This is an unusual question, so please stick with me.

To preface this email, I am someone who has had a severe EMF sensitivity for many years.  I get very sick from being around cell phones and wi-fi and devices that create signals.  My symptoms include pain and tremors and insomnia.

We have had a DirecTV dish for many years and it has caused mild symptoms when turned on, but it never caused me a problem when shut off at night while I sleep.

Recently, a family member signed up for a DirecTV on-line account so he could watch HBO on a website.

In theory, all this does is create an on-line registration where you can control many aspects of your account including channels, privacy settings, video streaming, billing, etc...

After he signed up, the signal from the dish outside feels much stronger, the receiver box is whirring even when turned off, and I feel the signals now 24/7 instead of just when the dish is on.  I have not slept for 4 days and I feel very sick.

I tried a satellite reset and this seemed to help briefly while it was rebooting, but then the symptoms start up again.

I called customer support to cancel the on-line account, but they said it can never be deleted, but only suspended.  I suspended it but I feel the same symptoms.

Is it possible that signing up for the online account has caused more activity on my dish, activated some settings or options that were previously dormant, or effected the activity of my receiver or equipment in any way?

Thanks,

Ace

• Re: Getting sick from satellite dish
    carl6

No, there should be no change in what your system does or how it works.  By the way just so you are aware, the DirecTV dish does NOT transmit any signal, there is NO EMF radiating from it.  It is only a receiving antenna.

Your DVR does run 24/7, and the hard drive is always spinning.  Sometimes it is recording signal from the dish, but it is also possible to record on-demand content coming in from the internet. If anything changed since signing up for the online account, it would be the amount of data coming into your home over the internet as opposed to through the DirecTV dish.

Also, so you are aware, that dish is receiving everything that DirecTV sends all the time, regardless of what you subscribe to. The selection is done in the receiver, not in the signal that is sent to your dish.  And lastly, with regard to your sensitivity, those signals are hitting your house all the time whether or not you have that dish out there (as are Dish network signals, cell signals from all providers, radio, television, police, fire, etc.).

womble

Carl, Thanks for the quick response!

I am aware of signals hitting my house all the time, I have had to put up blocking materials and protective clothing in order to cope.

"If anything changed since signing up for the online account, it would be the amount of data coming into your home over the internet as opposed to through the DirecTV dish."

It sounds to me like this is could be important. How exactly is more data coming in?

Do you mean that my DVR would need to be connected to the internet through a network cable or wireless card in order for that to happen?

Or are you just saying that DirecTV is sending data to my PC computer and it has nothing to do with the DVR?

For whatever reason, I'd like to delete the on-line account I created permanently, but DirecTV won't let me.  Is there a way we can work around that?  I'm sure you don't think it'll change my situation, but maybe they could just humor me

litzdog911

If you're using internet and networked devices, like PCs or Smartphones/Tablets, it's hard to imagine how the small amount of "extra" data used by a DirecTV DVR would make any difference.  But it's easy enough to disconnect your DirecTV equipment from your home network/internet.  You just won't be able to download OnDemand stuff.  Having an online account won't matter then.

womble

I don't think my DVR is connected to the internet, unless it has some wireless ability that I'm not aware of.  There is no network cable currently being used.

If you have any other suggestions for settings I might put my DVR or satellite receiver on that might reduce its activity at night, I would appreciate it. 

I do always have trouble sleeping when my DVR is recording at night, so I know its possible that some increased DVR activity might be the problem.

Thanks for the help.

womble

I just removed all my directv.com internet cookies, hoping to stop the increased internet activity you mentioned.

Any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

It is unproven that EMI/RFI causes symptoms such as you describe.  We are surrounded with radio waves on this planet.  It is not just man made in the environment, it is the wave lengths that you do not see when the Sun is shining, or even when the moon is out.

Any planet in this galaxy is bombarded with so much radio waves, it is beyond what you could imagine.

As for removing DirecTV cookies, I do not know how that solves your problem.  If it does, keep us all informed.

Really the only way to protect yourself from any type of EMI/RFI, is to go live inside a Copper Ore Cave, with a big Copper Ore Boulder in front of the opening to your cave.

womble

There is growing evidence that certain types of EMF and RF from cell phones and other devices are harmful to the population.  There are a lot of books and studies about this already.

I have always felt fine with DirecTV until I registered for the on-line account.

Of course I didn't think that deleting my cookies would help, but I'm trying to understand what Carl meant by the amount of increased internet activity to my DVR.

I feel that might be of some importance to this issue.

I also still hope for any suggestions on settings I might choose to reduce activity to my DVR or receiver.

Peace....

Again, it is unproven that man made devices are the cause.  Also our planet is bombarded with radio waves 24/7.  You see that big Yellowish Orange fire ball in the sky?  It is right now emitting more radio waves, then anything else in our environment.

Also, registering for an online account cannot affect your health, unless you already have pre-existing psychological healthissues.  There is no way that the Internet causes you these so called mental health issues, other then what I stated at the beginning of this post.

womble

I've never been diagnosed with any psychological problem, there are millions of people who are currently reporting symptoms from cell phones and wi-fi.  I could post studies, if anyone is interested.  Its not conclusive, but its certainly something that needs investigating.

Its about 5% of the population that is affected, so I understand why the other 95% would think we are wrong.

Radiation from the sun is harmful if over-exposed, I think your skin turns red if last time I checked

Anyhow, linking my DirecTV equipment to the on-line account has definitely changed something about the way my DVR is operating, I'm pretty sure of that.

Sorry,but I am not going to feed you anymore on this nonsense. I am sure that there are other forums out there, that will take your bait and play along with the line you are feeding them.

There are again, no studies that's how certain symptoms are caused by Radio Waves.  If there was, it would be in all of the medical journals,along with lked about on the news and in real publications.

Also, just opening an account on this forum, or accessing your billing account, is not going to cause your DVR to misbehave.

carl6

In reply to your question about what I meant by the amount of increased internet activity to your DVR, just that. DirecTV downloads selected programming to your DVR via internet when you have an internet connection. It also periodically queries your equipment for information.

As litzdog911 noted, it is doubtful that any internet use by your DirecTV equipment would make a noticeable difference in your overall internet traffic volumes, or how any connected devices in your home might effect you (unless in your case you are using wireless internet devices which would have some level of RF activity).

To other posters here: womble posted asking a question, and we're trying to provide whatever information might be applicable to answering that question. While I have an extensive background in RF, it is irrelevant what my opinion is regarding womble's experiences and symptoms. That's between him/her and his/her doctor, not for me to comment on one way or another. It is my opinion, based on my education and experience, that the use of DirecTV equipment in his environment should not effect the described sensitivity.  Should he find the case to be otherwise, the only solution I can offer is to physically separate the equipment from the individual, or discontinue the service.

womble

Carl, thanks for the response.

I am trying to determine if some wireless source is in my DVR.   How would I know this?

It seems that my DVR does have an IP address associated with it.

Also, for what it is worth, everyone in my family has agreed that the DVR is making more whirring hard drive noise then it was previously.

litzdog911

There are no "wireless devices" inside the DVR.   Of course, it has power supplies, hard drive, computer chips -- all of which can radiate some degree of RFI, just like every other electronic device in your house.   Like I said, if powering the DVR off at night makes you feel better, then by all means do that.   But you'll probably get tired of waiting 5 minutes every time you power it on.

shannon01

More noise may mean the hard drive is starting to go bad,  the only HDDVR that has WiFi built in is the HR44 and if you have a device attach to your router and then from there to a coax going to the SWM splitter then the HDDVR is connected to the internet and you don't need it unless you download On Demand.

carolinablutec

I would suggest that you wrap your DIRECTV receiver in lead foil about 2 mm thick. If you are not able to procure that, a triple layer of heavy duty aluminum foil should do the trick. That will knock down any EMF that may be affecting you.

womble

I wish I was just trolling, but actually this is a real problem for me.  I don't expect most people to accept what I'm saying.

The aluminum foil is a good idea, but actually I just tried powering down the DVR at night.  I was finally able to get some sleep, although I still didn't feel like the RF was totally gone.

Is it bad for your equipment to power down your DVR at night?  I really don't know what else to do, besides cancelling the whole thing.

litzdog911

If it makes you feel better, power it off.  You'll just have to put up with Guide Data that won't be complete, and you might miss an occasional software update, but better to feel well.  Good luck.

joed32

Actually that's probably the best thing to do, just cancel and go to cable.

Problem is that these types, also state that their cable boxes also make them sick.  This condition is called "

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity" or "Idiopathic environmental intolerance attributed to electromagnetic fields (IEI-EMF"

Now of course there is a catch:  "The majority of provocation trials to date have found that self-described sufferers of electromagnetic hypersensitivity are unable to distinguish between exposure to real and fake electromagnetic fields,[2][3] and it is not recognized as a medical condition by the medical or scientific communities. Since a systematic review in 2005 showing no convincing scientific evidence for it being caused by electromagnetic fields,[2] several double-blind experiments have been published, each of which has suggested that people who report electromagnetic hypersensitivity are unable to detect the presence of electromagnetic fields and are as likely to report ill health following a sham exposure, as they are following exposure to genuine electromagnetic fields.[4][5][6]"

"

Diagnosis[edit]

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is not currently an accepted diagnosis. At present there are no accepted research criteria other than 'self-reported symptoms', and for clinicians there is no case definition or clinical practice guideline. There is no specific test that can identify sufferers, as symptoms other than skin disorders tend to be subjective or non-specific. It is important firstly to exclude all other possible causes of the symptoms. Researchers and the WHO have stressed the need for a careful investigation. For some, complaints of electromagnetic hypersensitivity may mask organic or psychiatric illness and requires both a thorough medical evaluation to identify and treat any specific conditions that may be responsible for the symptoms, and a psychological evaluation to identify alternative psychiatric/psychological conditions that may be responsible or contribute to the symptoms.[1][29]

A WHO factsheet also recommends an assessment of the workplace and home for factors that might contribute to the presented symptoms. These could include indoor air pollution, excessive noise, poor lighting (flickering light) or ergonomic factors. They also point out that "[s]ome studies suggest that certain physiological responses of [electromagnetic hypersensitivity] individuals tend to be outside the normal range. In particular, hyper reactivity in the central nervous system and imbalance in the autonomic nervous system need to be followed up in clinical investigations and the results for the individuals taken as input for possible treatment."[1]"

See also the Studies & Diagnosis sections.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

If you do a search for "idiopathic environmental intolerance attributed to electromagnetic fields iei-emf:", you will find all kind of studies.  They all come out with the same diagnosis, that it is unfounded, and no actual viable proof, that our environment is the cause of this.

In other words, it comes out that it is a Psychological disorder, not a Metaphysical disorder.

litzdog911

A Cable TV box will likely have the same issues.

shannon01

It is designed to run 24/7 unplugging it will cause the guide data not to load correctly and updates that are sent out not to load and wrapping anything around it will block the vents causing it to overheat. 

jbg

Womble - Although this is the first I hear about this condition It doesnt surprise me, you are correct that we get bombarded with radioactive waves all day whether it is the sun or devices such as cell phones, microwaves, TVs etc. There are also studies that have been made showing that if you watch TV or you're online prior to going to sleep or attempting to go to sleep can cause insomnia which sounds like something you are suffering from, I would recommend you avoid watching TV, play with your cell phone, PC or laptop at least 1 or 2 hrs. prior to you going to bed.

I'd also like to ask you, what type of TV do you have at home ? did you recently switch from a tube TV to a newer Plasma, LCD, LED HD TV ?

I do not suffer from the condition you currently have but I am very sensitive to sound, lights etc. and it is hard for me to go to sleep while my TV, PC monitor, router, cable box, or anything else are on so what I do is I just turn everything off in my room before I get in bed. I just power everything back on the following day.

I suggest you do try that and you could even cancel your TV service if you like however it is unlikely you will get away from some type of radiation contact ever unless you go back to the stone age.

womble

Hey jbg,

We haven't changed our television, the only thing that changed was registering the on-line account.  Thanks for being sympathetic to my situation, I agree that the more things you can power off at night, the better you will sleep.

Let me be clear, I love Direct TV, they are a great company, and I don't believe that satellite television is harmful to the majority of the population.

In fact, Direct TV has kindly agreed to delete the on-line account.

After that, I am going to attempt to reset the DVR and satellite to its original factory settings. 

Maybe someone can walk me through a reset, is there a way I can do it without needing any technical expertise?  Is there a way I can keep my current programming and shows, or will I lose that?

Thanks,

Womble

litzdog911

I am going to attempt to reset the DVR and satellite to its original factory settings.

Maybe someone can walk me through a reset, is there a way I can do it without needing any technical expertise?  Is there a way I can keep my current programming and shows, or will I lose that?

You can reset your DVR to its factory settings under the Settings > Reset Menu.   You will, of course, lose all current recordings and series settings.   There's no way to reset to factory defaults and keep that stuff.

shannon01

If you have a SWM system, press and hold the DASH button if it comes back as SWM connected you probably don't need to do anything after the reset everything, if it only gives the receiver number then you will need to find out the dish type and which LNB you have the white knob thing on the arm of the dish 1 is a 3LNB 3 is a 5LNB then you need to rerun the sat setup select the dish type then select 3 or 5LNB.