14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2014 9:02 AM by jnicke RSS

Remote over IP on Genie Clients

jnicke

I upgraded to Genie and that is when the problems began. I have been using an app to control my whole home tv's for several years. It is a great feature when you have a wiring closet or home theater setup.   While Direct TV's app has a remote-control function, I am using an Android app from Cognitial Mobile.  Both fail in the same way. In fact, I tried all of the public apps.

With wifi on, the search finds the Genie and the C41 clients by name, so they all have unique IP addresses.  On the C41, most basic functions work, but it consistently hangs when you try to do some functions such as change resolution or audio in setup.  The app still sends the commands and the Genie usually still acknowledges them (though only with the "bonk" sound), but for whatever reason it just stops responding to them. The funny thing is, these same apps work fine on the Gennie HR44, but not the clients.

Anyway to get DTV to look at this?

• Re: Remote over IP on Genie Clients
    rolls

My only question for you is, why do you think its something DTV should look into?

I'm not saying that your in a "Too bad" situation, but my thinking would lead me to the Developers who make that app, since its not an app DTV makes, why should they look into it? Yes its their equipment, but at the same time the apps developer is the one who is responsable for making his app work, not what ever product its trying to work with.

jnicke

Thanks for responding Rolls.   As I mentioned, even the Direct TV app fails in the exact same manner.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.directv.navigator&feature

So I submit that, if Direct TV fixes their app (or the Genie), then all other app developers are good to go.

However, as suggested, I did reach out to the developer of one of the several apps that fail ONLY on the client exactly as it fails on the Direct TV App, and their explanation demonstrated rigorous testing and knowledge of the topic.  They point to the Genie:

http://www.cognitial.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=6&id=88&artlang=en&highlight=Genie

Since Direct TV formally support the remote over IP function, it seems they could provide some insight on how to fix.  I have tried this in three different whole home setup's on 8 mini's.  Same.   Make sense?

peds48

if you use the DirecTV branded app, does the remote control function with the client works?

jnicke

No, as I said, the Direct TV app fails.  That is the first thing I tried, and just downloaded and tried again 2 minutes ago.  Lets forget that I mentioned the other apps, other than the fact than no one seems to be able to get the mini's to work on IP.   Have you tried it?  Let me know, I will be happy to give you the steps to failure.
        Goto to remote function (left upper corner for list)

press on "Info"

right arrow over to "Audio/Vidio" on the tv

Try changing the resolution and format to anything other than default.  You will hang.

peds48

unfortunately I dont have a client so I can't try.  Lets see if @dcd  who has can give it a shot

rolls

Are you using an android phone? Cause i was getting a problem using my android as a remote and found out that there was a known issue with the android phones being used as a remote, and that engineering is currently working on it.

jnicke

The app is an android app, and I have tried it on my phone and my android pad, and 2 other phones.  Same thing.  This all worked perfectly prior to Genie client.  My daughter will be in town next week and I will try an app on her iPad. But given that all the apps, including Direct TV's app have failed in the exact same way, I am leaning toward a problem with the Genie, and hopefully a software update to fix.

dcd

I'd be happy to try, but don't have an Andriod device to try it on.  Sorry.

jnicke
                  dcd

I had the same experience as you.  The iPhone App works for the basic commands but trying to alter the resolution settings hung up the App/Client link and had to use the Directv remote to clear the screen.  Obviously needs some work.  Note that the iPhone and iPad Apps both underwent a major change a short time ago so I'm thinking it's the App and not the Genie.  I'm going back to try the iPad App, will edit add my findings.

Edit add:  The iPad Air exhibited the same behavior, it's okay for basic remote functions but nothing advanced.

jnicke

DCD, thanks for testing an iOS version.  We can now conclude that the Directv app fails in the same way on C41's no matter the device with Android or Apple.  I also know that these very same apps works on the HR44 Genie and any other LAN connected DTV receiver, just not the mini's.  I have at least 3 more third party apps that do the exact same thing, and the developer of one of those apps point to the Genie. They have done all they can do.

My conclusion is that the problem is NOT with the phones or apps.  Either the HR44 software that communicates with the mini's or something in the mini itself is misinterpreting setup second level menu picks is the culprit.  This feature is important to me as I have placed my mini's in a closet with HDMI running to separate rooms.  Remote over IP is the only way that I can easily control those TV's while watching.

I guess I should report a problem with the Direct TV app which says "CoPilot and remote control requires a Wi-Fi connection to your home network and a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models R22, Genie and HR20 or higher) connected to the same network."
                    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.directv.navigator&feature

The funny thing is, when you click on the "support" link in store, it takes you here to the forums.  For those that want to test, try turning dolby off or on.  Your client Genie will hang.

dcd

This probably doesn't do you any good at this point in time, but if you had H25 HD receivers instead of the C41 Clients your problem likely would not be occurring.  I'd guess the underlying problem is that the Clients need to back feed to the Genie for certain settings and the App/Client/Genie collectively aren't capable.  As an aside, I seldom have need to change the audio or resolution settings on any of my boxes, so you could setup the Clients using the Directv remotes then use the App for "everyday" operations?

jnicke

Point taken dcd.  After playing with it some more, it appears to be audio and video settings that hang, which as you say, are not things you do every day. I can live with that.    I did some more research and discovered DTV's published remote API, known as SHEF.   It is true, the clients communicate through the Genie's IP address. In the latest version of SHEF, they accommodated by addressing the mac address of each client.  This is suppose to work, and does at 98%. But it is a very nice, powerful feature that ought to be perfected by DTV.  They DO advertise their remote function on the  Android and iOS apps to work.  And so it should.  My guess is that it would be a very simple software update on the Genie. At least this thread documented the problem.  Ball in their court.  Thanks!