4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2014 8:37 AM by syanie RSS

Do I need this DECA box with a Samsung RVU TV?

justkw

I recently upgraded to a Genie HR44 and activated the Whole Home service.  For my second TV I have a Samsung RVU TV.  When the installer arrived, he didn't know how to hook it up because he had not connected a RVU TV before.  When he was done, I saw that I had a small DECA box connected to the back of the TV.  Is this something I have to have on a RVU TV?  From DTV's website: "Say goodbye to inconvenient boxes. Enjoy all your entertainment and full HD DVR functionality in additional rooms without seeing extra equipment. All you need is a small device called a Genie Mini for each additional TV. Or with a Samsung or Sony DIRECTV Ready TV, you don’t need any equipment at all."

I took it that "with a Samsung or Sony DIRECTV Ready TV, you don’t need any equipment at all" meant I wouldn't need any additional equipment at all?  Did the installer hook it up wrong?  What's the advantage of RVU TVs if you still have to have another box connected to it?

Also, the TV seems to work fine, and it can access the Genie box, but it bypasses the built-in programming on the Samsung (built in guide, etc.)

Thanks for any help.

• Re: Do I need this DECA box with a Samsung RVU TV?
    peds48

Yep, the tech hooked it up correctly.  If you dont want a DECA you can run an ethernet cable from your router isntead

Once you are in RVU mode, you can't use any of the TV's built in features

• Re: Do I need this DECA box with a Samsung RVU TV?
    syanie

As the others have said you do not need a DECA unit to run RVU assuming your home network is configured properly (which is why they don't support the direct Ethernet connection, they don't want to troubleshoot your network).

I just went through this and it was frustrating to me that they needed to send a tech out but I can sort of understand why they do.  We are probably not your average customers running network cable throughout the whole house connecting everything that way and they are not built to support us, yet.

The tech I had was very nice and he was puzzled by all of this himself but in the end installed the DECA to make DirecTV happy and to cover his own backside.  I removed it once he left and all is well.  The picture is superb and the menu / channel changing works very well.  The TV is a Samsung UN32F5500  I ordered from Amazon.