9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2014 1:08 PM by joed32 RSS

Can I control power to the USB port?

-kevinn

Dear Forum:

HR34/700 Genie.

I'm interested in connecting a USB powered fan to move the air around inside my TV / Component stand.

The TV stand has glass doors to allow the Component remotes to work without opening the doors but it tends to get a bit warm inside.

The Genie has an available USB port to power the fan but it appears that it is an 'always on' port.  As you can imagine, this 'always on' property is not conducive to running a cooling fan.

Is there a way to power down the USB port when the Genie is powered down? 

I suppose that I could connect a 'switched' hub between the Genie and the fan but if it's at all possible, I'd like to have the fan come on and go off as the Genie is powered up and powered down.

Thanks for any insights.

-Kevin N.

• Re: Can I control power to the USB port?
    joed32

I haven't done it with a Genie but I have used a laptop cooler on other DVRs from Directv and they worked just fine.

-kevinn

Hi Joed32, 

Thank you for your reply.  That is exactly what I was intending to use but I don't want it to run 24/7.

I was looking to control the power from the USB port to the fan so that when the Genie was shut down, the fan would shut off.

Thanks again.

-Kevin N.

peds48

nope, sorry there is no way.

-kevinn

Hi peds48, 

Thank you for your reply.   I had looked through all of the internal 'Settings' offered in the Genie and was pretty much prepare for a reply such as yours.

Just thought I'd post here to see if there were any others who might have figured out a way to do this.

I guess, I'll go the switched hub route.

Thanks again.

-Kevin N.

dcd

I believe the "always on" is exactly what you need.  The Genie is never "powered down" but all of the functions except the output remain active 24/7.  If you measured it, you'd find the "off" condition uses near the same power and produces near the same heat.

-kevinn

Hi dcd, 

Thank you for your reply.

The USB fan itself does not have a power switch so I was looking to have the USB port power down when the Genie was shut down. 

I've managed to resolve the issue by inserting a 110 v. to USB adapter into a 'switched' outlet on my tuner.  Since I use the tuner for audio whenever the Genie is on, this resolves the issue at hand.

Thanks again to all who replied.

-Kevin N.

carl6

You say: "to have the USB port power down when the Genie was shut down."  What you need to realize is that the Genie is never shut down. It runs 24/7/365 whether or not the front panel lights are on.  The Genie is either "on" or in "standby", and the only visible difference between the two is the front panel lights and the video output being switched off. Internally, the processor may actually be working harder because certain background tasks are elevated to higher priority when you are not watching.  Therefore the Genie is generating as much heat when off as when on, and the cooling can be a very important consideration.

-kevinn

Hi carl6, 

Ah! Understood.  Thank you for the detailed explanation. 

I've moved the Genie to an 'open air' shelf of the TV / Component stand to give it some justly deserved fresh air.  The other components, tuner, DVD player and CD player are behind glass.  I placed the fan on top of the Tuner as it too gets a bit warm. 

I utilized the tuner's switched outlet to operate the fan only when the unit is on.

I think that this arrangement should resolve my cooling concerns.

Thanks again for your reply.

-Kevin N.