1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 102 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2014 12:26 PM by jjmcnelly Go to original post RSS
  • 60. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    gort

Don't be surprised if they send you another HR34. A seemingly reasonable manager told me she would send an HR44, but it turned out to be an HR34.

• 61. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    shannon01

The computer assigns what receivers are sent the CSR has no control over it only a tech if they have it on their truck can swap it or you can lease it from a dealer like solidsignal.com or weaknees.com with an upfront lease fee.

• 62. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    mrtyler10

Not entirely true if noted in OmS correctly u can ERP a receiver to a

different model CCR in this case doubt they did being the hesitation part

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014, shannon01 <directv-admin@forums.directv.com>

• 63. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    schoff

I received the replacement DVR and indeed it was another HR34. The CSR I called explained that they can't control which model is shipped. They're both the same. He insisted, despite all my objections and referencing the technical forum, that it was my specific HR34 that was the issue and the new one will not have that problem. It has a manufactured date of October 2012. So I guess I will have to try out installing and activating the "new" HR34 and see if it happens again. Any other suggestions out there?

• 64. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    litzdog911

The problem does not affect ALL HR34's, so ahead and give this replacement a try.  Keep us posted.   As previously suggested, the only sure-fire way to get an HR44 is to order from a dealer like Solid Signal, or request a service visit and hope the tech has an HR44 on their truck.

• 65. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    dwood72

Service call on Friday was about as quick as they come.  Showed the tech an example of both a frozen video, audio continue recording and a recording from ABC Seattle that was so pixelated you can't watch, both of which I saved on the DVR.  Within a few minutes he was taking my HR34 to the truck to swap for an HR44 and confirmed this is a well known software issue with the HR34 that DirecTV can't seem to solve with an over the air software update and the way to fix is to swap out for the HR44.  With the equipment protection plan I have on my account the service call and the swap of the unit was all free.  Only cost was my time for 3 painful phone calls with customer service I had to endure so they could walk through their checklist (reset system, run system test, check satellite signal, etc.) before they'd set up a service call.  About a week in and haven't seen any of the same problems occur on the HR44... fingers crossed it stays that way!

• 66. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    schoff

Did install the replacement HR34. The pixelation did not reoccur so I shipped the older one back. The software on the one I got seems not to work as well in minor details but it certainly is worth the overall improvement.

• 67. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    cbierwirth

Wish you all the luck in the world. 

I’ve gone through 2 of these 34’s with the exact same results.  Called and said get me a 44 or I’m out of here. Yesterday they finally sent 2 techs here with a 44 to replace the first one they shipped to me that had a dead power supply.  Makes me wonder if anyone is QA’ing this stuff before it goes out the door.

The 44 is significantly faster and a much smaller box and wi-fi which helped free up an RJ54 power on my router.

Got my fingers crossed this is the last time I will have to deal with them over the phone.

Chuck

• 68. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    peds48

cbierwirth wrote:

The 44 is significantly faster and a much smaller box and wi-fi which helped free up an RJ54 power on my router.

Bad idea.  ethernet switches are very cheap.  nothing beats a good hard wired connection, specially if you already had one!

• 69. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    cbierwirth

As it’s been explained to be - the only time the internet is used is when you do on-demand - which I rarely if ever do. 

Chuck

• 70. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    td-max

I've been battling this intermittently and relatively consistently for quite some time now.  It only hits me on CNBC 5pm CST recording Mad Money.  MSNBC no issues.  They used to run Mad Money at 10pm so I could fall back on it, but not as of late.

So those getting HR44 I assume you lose all of your recordings?  Sure would be nice to have data backup/transfer like a phone...

• 71. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    cbierwirth

Yes all recordings and todo and quick tune programming is lost. I suggest if programming is done thru apps on phones or tablets that DirecTV would have a very easy way of capturing at least  the programs series you normally record. The installer said that if I had a SATA drive attached my recordings could have been preserved. Don't know if that relates to just the 44 or also the 34. May look into that in the future.

Chuck

• 72. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    dcd

cbierwirth wrote:

The installer said that if I had a SATA drive attached my recordings could have been preserved.

The installer could not have been more mistaken.  Recordings on a eSATA drive are encoded by the DVR that made them and when that eSATA drive is connected to another DVR, you would be able to see the titles, but the program would not play.  As previously posted, changing DVR's means losing all recorded content, no exceptions.

• 73. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    theotherjim

Assuming all these things work the same way, what I think is happening is this: Compressed video signals consist of a key frame and a series of "delta" frames. The key frame has a lot of information, but the delta frames only have to record the changes from the previous frame. If part of the signal is missing, the decoder doesn't know where to start, hence the "jittering," the jumping back and forth. It has to wait until it gets a recognizable signal to restore order. Caveat: this explanation is based on my experience, back in the dark ages, with early animation software and could be -completely- wrong. Anyway, add me to the list of people experiencing this problem with the HR34. We see it on NBC and MSNBC -- almost all the Tonight Shows with Jimmy Fallon have vast unwatchable stretches -- but I can't say that it doesn't happen on other channels. I'll start paying attention...

• 74. Re: Pixelation on local NBC Channel
    captlarryo

I am having the same exact issue with my HR-34-700.  Called DTV and told them of the problem of pixel freezing on NBC.  Of course they told me that they have "no known issues" with this.  They ran me through the reset process and to check my signal.  Signal is 98-100 on all bands.  I told them that this problem is only on the HR-34-700 and not happening on my H25-700.  Told me that could be a software issue and to wait for the next update.  Really?...  This has been going on far to long and requested a HR44 and they shot me down. Would not even schedule a service call!  Why am I paying 7.99/ mo for a service contract if they won't even send out a tech to fix the problem by replacing my DVR?  Contract is up in October and if they don't fix this, I'm out of here!  Directv, listen to us, your customers.  If we have issues and others post what fixed them, don't give me the run around!  FIX IT! Clearly this is a fault of the HR34.  Send me a HR44 to fix this issue and keep me as a customer.

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next