6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2014 8:04 AM by rpackwolf Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Grounding Question

litzdog911

I think you have an AC electrical ground issue.  The techs should double check that your DirecTV dish and cables are properly grounded to your homes electrical AC ground.   It's possible that you have an AC house wiring issue, which will be difficult for the DirecTV tech to troubleshoot because they're not licensed electricians.  You may need to call a licensed electrician to figure this out. 

• Re: Grounding Question
    rpackwolf

Thank you for  your reply.  The grounding issue is what the supervisor suspected just before he left last week.  I just don't understand why the system has been grounded the same way for over 12 years without any issues before the Genie was installed.  Does it have to do with the powered switch via a power inverter.  Many years ago, I had a Dish 6-4 power switch, but I didn't have the issues that I have had with the SWM16 with the power inserter.   Can you possibly explain what may be happening with the grounding that is causing this issue, so I can wrap my head around it?

Thank you again.

rpackwolf

Update.  The Mastech Supervisor and his most senior technician came out to my home for the sixth visit to correct the Genie Upgrade Issue a couple of weeks ago.  They reinstalled the dish with a new pole and new dish.  They grounded the wire from the LNB the pole and then ran a 10 gauge solid cooper wire from the SWM 16 switch to the grounding rod for my home's electrical service.  I didn't had to research the issue further, since their last service visit, until a couple of days ago, but am now concerned that they used the wrong gauge wire for the grounding, since the run to the electric service rod is close to 50-60 feet.  Per my reading and understanding of NEC grounding codes, the 10 gauge ground wire is to be run to a maximum length of 20 feet. 

From my research, I found that if the grounding wire run is over 20 feet that it needs a separate grounding rod located near the switch and then bond the 10 gauge ground wire from the new ground rod to the electrical service ground, using 6 gauge wire.  I have decided to just do the work myself and not even call DirecTV again; however, I couldn't find if I could run the 6 gauge wire from the new ground rod 50-60 ft. to the home's electrical service ground.  In fact, I could not find any information on the maximum length the 6 gauge grounding wire could be run from one ground rod to the home electrical service ground.

Could you please assist and inform me if I can install a new ground rod near the switch and then run 6 gauge or lower gauge (4 or 2) wire from the new rod to my home'e electrical ground on a run of about 50-60 feet?  I would like to know before I invest money to purchase the wire, ground rod and crawl under the house to run the wire. 

It appears that the dual grounding rods that weren't bonded, was the problem I had with the Genie upgrade initially.  Now, I want to make certain that my home is safe from any electrical issues that may occur, as a result of improper grounding. 

As always, thanks for your assistance.

dtvuser2013

Its 20 ft to the ground source from the ground block   not   20ft from the dish

The coax with the 16gauge ground wire can be as long as needed to make it to an approved groung source you have nothing to worry about

rpackwolf

Sorry, my description of the grounding situation may have been confusing.  I wasn't including the distance of the run from the dish to the switch. 

My concern is that the installer ran a 10 gauge solid cooper ground wire from the SWM 16 switch to the ground  for my electrical service panel.  The installer removed the ground block from my previous install setup and ran the ground from the switch.  The run with the 10 gauge cooper wire from the switch to the electric service panel ground is approximately 50-60 feet.  That is why I am worried about the 10 gauge not being up to code for a run almost 3 times the maximum length allowed..  

My question is should I drive a new ground rod near the switch and run the 10 gauge wire to the new ground rod.  Then bond the 10 gauge wire on the new ground rod with 6, 4, or 2 gauge wire and run it the approximately 50-60 feet to the electrical service panel ground rod. 

Thanks for your reply and I hope you can help me ensure my installation is within the code's requirement. 

dcd

Forgetting the technical specs for a moment, I think your system will operate just fine (from a ground standpoint at least) as wired.  The primary purpose of the ground is to remove any potential difference between the signal coax, the receiver and the house power system.  Even the smallest difference can cause havoc if the equalization should occur in a critical part of the receiver or TV.    And, even the heaviest wire won't protect you from a lightning strike.

rpackwolf

Thank you so much for the reply and I appreciate your explanation.  I just wanted to make certain the system was grounded properly.  I realized that even the heaviest gauge of wire would not protect the system from a lightning strike. 

Thanks again and I will leave the system as installed.