22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 7:32 AM by nhvsatellite RSS

771 Error - local channels present, but just about nothing else

bldxyz

Wow. I wish I had looked at this site over the weekend.

I'm not at home and cannot get the whole set of satellite transponder figures. I did look and notice that I got numbers in the 70s at 101º, and just about nothing but NA or 0 for everything else I looked at. I was not thorough enough to record all the data that seems to be shown in other posts on this topic.

In most cases, it seems people are getting recommendations like:

- Get a service call

- Adjust the dish

- Replace the dish

- Replace or otherwise adjust the power inserter (note: I DO NOT have one of these. Never have, though the phone tech from DTV insisted I did.)

Is there anything I can do myself, short of a visit? And what is the deal with the power inserter that I do not have?

• Re: 771 Error - local channels present, but just about nothing else
    litzdog911

It would help to know the type of satellite dish you're using, and model number(s) of Receivers/DVRs.

dcd

The 70 range numbers for the 101 satellite spell misaligned dish almost for certain.  Most folks aren't of a nature to realign a dish so I'd say your best bet is a service call.  Free with the Protection Plan, otherwise $50.  The good news is the fee is all inclusive, covers everything required to put your system in top shape.

bldxyz

All helpful things so far.

1) I have a THR-22, but I'm not sure which dish. The notion of a dual-LNB comes to mind. It was installed in 2006 when I upgraded to HD.

2) I do have a service call scheduled for Saturday. I do wish to be as informed and prepared as can be.

3) I intend to take down the whole set of information that is typically asked for in this situation when I visit my home tonight

I am left wanting to understand the power inserter more. When were they introduced? Under what circumstances are they necessary? When my THR-22 was installed by DirecTV a year ago, why did they not add one then?

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts here. I'm encouraged and discouraged at the same time. I don't recall a weather event on the date I stopped getting the channels...  Hm.

shannon01

The power inserter is only needed with the SWM LNB  it only needs one coax from the dish than uses a splitter to connect other receivers with 1 coax and the DECA to provide internet to all receivers its been out 5 or so years.

The power inserter is also needed with a SWM8/16 module but needs 4 coaxes from the dish.

The THR22 is a non SWM or SWM compatible reciever the tech didn't need to install a SWM LNB at the time.

litzdog911

Try swapping the two BBC modules, both with and without swapping the SAT INPUT cables. That will help you narrow down if it's a defective BBC (problem follows BBC module), or a defective satellite feed (problem follows bad SAT INPUT cable). 

Is this Tivo your only DirecTV Receiver?

directech

if your dish was installed in 2006 then chances are you have the old and original HD Dish.. the tech will see this and should change it out.. they are **** and not really field serviceable.

bldxyz
      • I'm not 100% sure that they didn't upgrade the dish at some point after 2006, but I believe it is a Dual LNB Oval dish. The receiver type is "Multiswitch" They left the original round one in place.
      • I tried moving the two BBC modules, but only kept them with their respective cables. Nothing changed (all the channels I got were the same, all the channels I didn't get were the same).
      • I understand why the tech was telling me the sky was purple (that I had a power inserter) -- he clearly did not know that "The THR22 is a non SWM or SWM compatible reciever the tech didn't need to install a SWM LNB at the time."
      • If, however, the tech had run me through the diagnostic below and explained that a likely scenario was a misaligned dish, I would have bought that and not been so belligerent with him (the sky is blue, not purple! Er, I have no power inserter!)

Here are the signal stats I had the time to collect:

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8   67 67 56 79  0 82 56 80

9-16  59 61  0 73  0 79  0 77

17-24 63  0 57 86 58 79 57 77

25-32 67  0 74  0 71 76 56 82

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[A few HD channels, also beamed from 99 & 103º]

1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA X

9-16 NA X NA X NA NA NA NA

(Didn't have this option)

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24 NA NA NA NA NA X X X

25-32X X X X X X X X

(Didn't have this option)

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8 0 0 0 0 0 0  NA NA

9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA 0 0

17-24 0 0 0 - - - - -

[Note: I did not wait for them all to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

1-8  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

9-16 0 0 0 0 0 0 NA NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8 0 0 0 0 NA NA NA NA

9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA - -

17-24 - - - - - - - - -

[Note: I did not wait for them all to appear]

peds48

bldxyz wrote:

Here are the signal stats I had the time to collect:

1-8   67 67 56 79  0 82 56 80

9-16  59 61  0 73  0 79  0 77

17-24 63  0 57 86 58 79 57 77

25-32 67  0 74  0 71 76 56 82

How about tuner 2?

vegeta

Sounds like either a misaligned dish, or the LNB may be going bad, but chances are the dish alignment is the issue here, I would call in a service call at 1-800-531-5000 to have a technician roll out to fix the issue.

Another thing is the possibility of a bad connector that a tech just finger tightened, check the connectors to make sure the copper still looks like a bright shiny penny as well if you are able to, lately I have been rolling on service calls where the copper center conductor has eroded away due to moisture getting in the connector due to it not being torqued, or a barrel either as a splice or ground block went bad due to not tightened connectors.

Needless to say calling for a service call would be your best bet.  I don't know about your market, but where I am service calls are being dispatched to a tech either same or next day.

shannon01

The CSR read from a script that is written for a SWM setup, most have never heard of a legacy (non SWM) setup, let alone installed either system.

vegeta

shannon01, I know that all too well, I did a service call today where a tech rolled out to an upgrade in a Duplex, and instead of putting a new Ka/Ku Dish up, they just tapped onto the neighbors dish.  Friday that neighbor moved, taking the dish with them, and the customer lost service, the customer's equipment was an H24, D10, D11, and a D12.  the CSR kept telling him that he had to have a SWM power inserter to have signal, and even though he had the protection plan, since the power inserter couldn't be found (which there was none), he had to pay the $49.99 for the service call.  I ended up having to put a new dish up to fix the issue, which was a pain since the only place to get strong enough signal was on the other side of the woods by his house, about 147 feet from ODU to the farthest IRD.  This was a legacy 4 Line Ka/Ku, which was the type of HD dish that was out when I started installing for DirecTv.  The 4 line Ka/Ku with the Azimuth bolts on the bottom of the back assembly.

litzdog911

I tried moving the two BBC modules, but only kept them with their respective cables. Nothing changed (all the channels I got were the same, all the channels I didn't get were the same)

Try also swapping just the BBC modules.  And we need to see your Tuner 2 readings.  

bldxyz

- I probably won't have time to try swapping the BBC modules without swapping the cables: I'm not at home much until Saturday when the tech is scheduled.

Tuner 2 seemed much the same as Tuner 1:

1-8   67 67 57 79  0 82 56 80

9-16  57 63  0 73  56 80  0 79

17-24 65  0 59 86 56 79 57 75

25-32 67  0 73  0 71 75 0 82

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

1-8  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

9-16 0 0 0 0 0 0 NA NA

(same)

…and I didn't get the rest.

What's the best use of my limited time now?

bldxyz

Service call was the right call.

The tech arrived, did some quick signal testing, climbed a ladder and peeked at the dish about 20' away and immediately concluded that I needed a new dish.

He installed the new dish and everything was fine right after he reset the receiver.

Thanks for everyone's help here. I'm glad I understood things well enough before his visit to just let him do his work!

shannon01

You are welcome, enjoy please mark the question as answered.