5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2014 9:12 AM by litzdog911 RSS

DirecTV image and sound jerky, even previously watched DVR recordings

tony4x4

Hi there,

Since last night the sound and image of live TV has been terrible. Garbled and breaking up.

If I "rewind" I can watch a previously garbled and broken up section just fine but then about a minute later it becomes garbled and broken up again. After some frustration I decided to watch some recoded stuff and the same thing happened. Even on programs I have previously successfully watched.

It is as if you were trying to watch a netflix video on a dial up modem even though the DVD recordings are local.

Have tried to power down receiver but that did not help.

Any suggestions would be great, especially before the weekend.

Thanks

• Re: DirecTV image and sound jerky, even previously watched DVR recordings
    peds48

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door..

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.