13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2014 7:46 AM by peds48 RSS

Genie is connected to Internet but doesn't know it

rsienrukos

Hi,

New Genie install with 3 Minis.  All network tests from within house are successful. 

1) I can download Video On Demand content - so I'm connected.

2) When I log into my Directv account, it says Internet Connected: No

3) When on DTV app OR PC from in my house on same network that Genie is confirmed to be on, I cannot steam live TV from the channels it says I'm supposed to.  When I try, it says "you must connect to your home wireless network".  I'm 100% positive I'm on same network (192168.1.1 is wireless router and 192.168.1.50 is Genie)

4) In settings I have all Genie settings set to "Allow" for external devices to access.

5) I've reset and rebooted things several times.

6) Can't schedule a recording on Genie DVR using DTV app when not on home network. 

Thanks,

Rob

• Re: Genie is connected to Internet but doesn't know it
    peds48

2. It can take a couple of days for the DirecTV website to show the Genie is connected

3. This is a settings on your PC

6. it should not matter whether you are connected or not to use DirecTV scheduler as the signal goes through the satellite and not the internet

rsienrukos

so you are saying:

1) Right now I should be able to steam live TV on my phone for the channels that Directv says I'm eligible to stream while on my home wifi network?

or

2) I should wait a few days and then I'll be able to?

rsienrukos

I still cannot schedule recordings on smartphone app when not connected to my home network.  When I enter DTV app outside of my home, it does not see my receiver.  I know its connected because when I'm home I run tests and it tests OK and I can download on demand content.

Do I need to setup port forwarding on my router to enable Genie DVR to be scheduled with smartphone when not on my home wireless network?

peds48

Of course the app will not see the receiver when OOH, and it does not need to.  the request is send via satellite

dcd

rsienrukos wrote:

I still cannot schedule recordings on smartphone app when not connected to my home network.   When I enter DTV app outside of my home, it does not see my receiver.

I think you may be misunderstanding how the OOH schedule of recordings works.  You log on the the Directv website and select the program you wish to record then it will allow you to specify which DVR you want to record to.  There is no direct connection between the phone and your DVR, the Directv system takes care of that via a satellite signal, as Ped's stated.

rsienrukos

so am I able to schedule DVR recordings with my phone or not when outside of my home? 

1) If yes, what must I do to enable this?

litzdog911

You shouldn't have to do anything "special" to enable the ability to set up recordings with your Smartphone, regardless of where you're located.  Just be sure that your DVR(s) are listed on your DirecTV.com account with user-friendly names.

rsienrukos

This still does not work.  When outside of my house and not on my home wireless network, I access DTV app from my phone.  It says under "Receiver Control (Out of Home)" the following:  "Receiver: No Receiver".  When I touch the word "Receiver", my home DVR name (FAMILY RM) is "grayed out". the screen then says "Only receivers that are connected to your home wifi network can be controlled by your phone.  Receivers in gray are not connected.  If any receiver listed in gray is in fact connected, tap the gray info button to manually enter its IP address".   I then tap the gray words ""FAMILY RM" and get prompted to enter an IP address.  Since I manually set the IP address to 192.168.1.50,  I know what is is.  I enter it, then I stare at the spinning thing and it times out. 

You say that Internet is not in the connection from a smartphone app to the Receiver. If so, then why do all the above items point to the fact that it does rely on the Internet to connect when not at home. 

I go into "settings" and "System Info" on the receiver and it says:

Wireless: Connected

STB Services Port has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside it followed by "N/A(202).

What am I doing wrong?  Feel free to dive into the weeds on firewall ports. If I'm supposed to enable my wireless router to forward certain ports, please let me know.

84686f6173205479

Try this...

1. Type the address  'm.directv.com' (without the single quotations) on your smartphone's Web browser. It will redirect you to your phone's app store to download the DTV DVR Scheduler app.
    2. Login
    3. Search or select the show that you want to record
    4. Set priority
    5. After you complete the steps, you will receive and email confirmation regarding the scheduled recording task