10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 6:19 PM by peds48 RSS

My scheduled programs are no longer recording...

pamd999

I can see them listed in the Series Manager, but they now each have a "(0)" next to them, which presumably means they are not going to record in the future.  I have tried deleting them from the Series Manager then rescheduling them to record "All" episodes versus "First Run" (as suggested by Technical Support), but that did not work. I finally "Reset Everything" back to factory defaults but that didn't work either.  Any suggestions before I request a new Genie?  BTW: The only thing that has changed recently is the addition of a wireless Internet connection kit.

• Re: My scheduled programs are no longer recording...
    carl6

Make sure that you have selected the program from a channel you actually receive. For example, if you do a search a program might show up on 2 or 3 different channels, but you may only receive one of them. So double check that particular aspect.

If that isn't your problem, then it seems to be time for a replacement. You've already done all of the things I could think to suggest.

pamd999

All of the scheduled programs have been recording on those channels for over a year and only recently stopped.  So I think you're right--I need a new receiver.  Thanks for responding!

dcd

Before you discard what might be a perfectly good DVR, try this.  Open your guide and locate a local news program on a channel you know you get, highlight it then press the red record button.  Later, if it records, chances are your problem isn't the DVR itself.  Many series have completed for the season recently and those will show a (0) in the Series Manager.  Changing a series setup to "All" will not immediately show upcoming recordings either, it all moves slowly and in the background.

pamd999

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am able to use the Record button and schedule the recording with no problem.  It will in fact record that program at the scheduled time but only for that one day.  Even though it shows up in the To Do List as having been scheduled for either All Episodes or New Episodes, it will not record on any day but the first day on which it was initially set.  I have been using this Genie for over a year with no problems scheduling/recording programs, but it just stopped working one day last week for all of the programs that had been previously working just fine.

texasbrit

Are you sure they won't record or are you just looking at the todo list? After a new software download it can take a few days for the list to rebuild itself.  Which program is it?

pamd999

I have been daily recording, for example, "The Talk" and "The Steve Harvey Show."  They have been recording just fine since the Genie was installed, except of course for repeats, as I set them to only record first run episodes.  About a week ago, I saw that none of my regular, daily shows recorded as scheduled.  I initially assumed it was because they were all repeats, but they were all first-run episodes.  They still showed up in the Series Manager, and they still indicated that all first run episodes were scheduled to be recorded.  However, I now have to remember to each morning manually schedule to record the shows I want for that day, and they will in fact record at the times I want, but only on that one day, in spite of showing that they have been scheduled to record every weekday.  Hope that explains it better.  Thanks for your assistance!

sithigh

That "0" means no match currently found in the upcoming schedule.

(Not always accurate because the schedule is so frequently updated and your DVR is always trying to catch up.) I don't reset on this because DVRs may take a long time to work it's way back up to this. I Highlight in Series Mgr., press info, select upcoming or other showings. If you only get one item, Not found any is confirmed. Pressing info on that entry just gives old, bogus or irrelevant data. Checking any another way is preferable to screwing with the DVR. It IS designed to try to deal with this when you're not looking. (TV.com, IMDb.com, channel's web site). The "schedule" information must come from all the channel's individual stations and is updated automatically with what we get. The web version also moves every half hour.

I have missed some recordings with DirecTV. Way less than VCRs on cable or antenna. My spouse accused me of canceling or deleting something several times. I became so defensive, I obsessed about it and actually caught a local station cut the episode from their "programming" schedule
    right before we expected it to record and without warning. It then vanished from all the listings as they updated. My DVR obediently removed the instructions and did not record or waste any space on evidence. DirecTV and one of the sites I listed were updated quickly. The rest were later until no evidence of it remained. Nothing on it could be found for more than a week. Not even "canceled" in DVR's history. Then it just showed up and was recorded.

pamd999

Thanks for the info.  Because I tape the daily and nightly talk shows (among other things), there had always been a number indicating the upcoming recordings that week.  But all of a sudden last week each and every scheduled recording of every type (day and night) had a "0" as if there were no upcoming programs for anything.  I just checked the Series Manager (again) and it looks like the recordings I scheduled this morning (after restoring the factory defaults) now have the correct number in parentheses.  I guess it took a while for the master reset to work.  Anyhoo, I'm back in business!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and information.

peds48

sithigh wrote:

The "schedule" information must come from all the channel's individual stations and is updated automatically with what we get.

Actually DirecTV's guide data comes from TMS which gets the guide data from each individual network